Lightning

How electronic is our transmissions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004 | 12:17 PM
I really could live with the CC (cruise control) buttons being my 'paddle shifters'. I know the Auto-x'ers and Roadracers would prefer real paddles though. Like stated before me, the perfect setup would be a switch (possibly close to the paddles/cc) to change automatic to manual mode.

Last edited by ben_g99; 08-05-2004 at 01:19 PM.
Old 08-05-2004 | 01:18 PM
Any updates on this subject?

Last edited by ben_g99; 08-05-2004 at 01:24 PM.
Old 08-05-2004 | 03:40 PM
I'm with Tim......I'm getting wood about this possibility (now now we are 2000 miles apart). I've been thinking of the 05 Vette and getting rid of the L (and all the money I have tied up in it) but getting in and out of a Vette at 6' and 250lbs. SUCKS! PLEASE PLEASE someone come up with a way to shift (up and down) using the C/C buttons.

Jerry

Old 08-05-2004 | 04:37 PM
RipNRun has ripped and ran.

His last post was on 1/27/04.

Time for someone to step up and be a hero -- like Monty was with the bump steer kit.

Old 08-05-2004 | 05:55 PM
Originally posted by ShadowBolt
. . . I've been thinking of the 05 Vette and getting rid of the L (and all the money I have tied up in it) but getting in and out of a Vette at 6' and 250lbs. SUCKS! . . .
Fast Vettes are a dime a dozen at track events.

Fast trucks are not.

Don't take the easy way out.

Old 08-11-2004 | 11:53 PM
Gee, Tim. Lawyers aren't supposed to be so presumptuous, are they

Baumann stopped answering my emails, and since I started a new job earlier this year, I've been on the road constantly and have dropped the ball on this one.

Last round, I told him I woudl probably be able to get together a group and possibly the funds for testing. I asked Greg how long it would take (guesstimate) to do the R&D if we left an L with him. He said 3-4 weeks.

Need someone in his neighborhood to leave an L with him for testing. I'm sure he'd be interested if we got a list and could show him the money... I'll still interested myself, but my time crunch situation is pretty bad for the forseeable future.

--Rip

Old 08-12-2004 | 12:43 AM
How electronic is our transmissions?

Totally:

Old 08-12-2004 | 01:04 PM
Getting back to the basic's of this post, having control over the shifts would be simply amazing, and something I myself have been asking for since the day I bought my L. The L happens to be my first Vehicle out of the 70 or so I've owned that I DO NOT have manual control over shifting, and that plain old sucks.

To say we CAN NOT shift as good as a computer is outright stupid, and not at all what is being asked here. We all know dam well there are MAJOR advantages having manual control of OUR shifting. At WOT ok most times I WOULD let the computer do it's thing, but we all know a Lighting will shift 123 and into OD on the street and leave you crusing around at hardly no rpms going hardly no mph. Not being able to manually shift it down a gear put your foot to the floor and throw a gear is simply boring and stupid. Instead it leaves you doing no mph at no rpm, and if you press the pedal down ""even a little"", you end up downshifting at least 2 gears
(oh but thats right, we're not allowed to down shift, BFS.....)

Someone figure out a way to do this in a simple manner, and allow us to be able to shift manual AND YOU GOT MY MONEY
(well actually my CC) hehehehe
I personally don't need the paddle shifting ALTHOUGH I'D GLADLY TAKE IT IF THE PRICE WAS RIGHT

Why can't our Transmission work like a good old T-400 where you can do both ? Screw the Electronic's, people have been putting massive HP through T-400's for decades and have ALWAYS had the choice of shifting manual or letting the tranny do the shifting for you.

Old 08-12-2004 | 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Rob_02Lightning
. . . To say we CAN NOT shift as good as a computer is outright stupid, and not at all what is being asked here. We all know dam well there are MAJOR advantages having manual control of OUR shifting. At WOT ok most times I WOULD let the computer do it's thing, but we all know a Lighting will shift 123 and into OD on the street and leave you crusing around at hardly no rpms going hardly no mph. . . .
I think that you are mischaracterizing the best arguments for auto shifting. The point has been made -- and has yet to be refuted -- that for drag racing (i.e., WOT), the computer can shift better than a human. I agree.

But as you yourself point out, there are situations where manual control would be better. In my case, road racing.

So the point is true sometimes and not other times. No reason to get one's panties bunched. Save the rants for Gator.

Old 08-12-2004 | 04:17 PM
Originally posted by RipNRun
Gee, Tim. Lawyers aren't supposed to be so presumptuous, are they
What we are supposed to be is argumentative, so allow me to retort:

I stated that "RipNRun has ripped and ran. His last post was on 1/27/04."

Based upon the available data (meticulously researched and explicitly cited as support for the conclusion), the assertion was --and is -- supported. Disappearing for eight months is "ripping and running."

According to Webster's: "RipNRun: v. to disappear from an Internet bulletin board for six months or more. Usually considered derogatory."

Because you have come back from the dead does not mean that you were not dead. Just ask Jesus. Or Jim Morrison.

We have lots of SC L owners around here. You've had eight months to find one. Now stop arguing with me and give me a manual shifter, dammit.

Old 08-12-2004 | 04:40 PM
What about this

Click Me

Old 08-12-2004 | 06:22 PM
Originally posted by Tim Skelton
I think that you are mischaracterizing the best arguments for auto shifting. The point has been made -- and has yet to be refuted -- that for drag racing (i.e., WOT), the computer can shift better than a human. I agree.

But as you yourself point out, there are situations where manual control would be better. In my case, road racing.

So the point is true sometimes and not other times. No reason to get one's panties bunched. Save the rants for Gator.
Point well taken Tim, I don't want no trouble with you

But even in racing there are times I would much rather take control of the shifting and have it ship EXACTLY when I want it to ship. As you prob remember I had 6000 RPM Tach pinning shifts for @ 2 full years because mine never shifts where it's programed to shift. My L has done that since the day I bought it, 3 tuners 2 chips and 10 programs.

Maybe the answer IS NOT to over ride, or do away with the electronics, or get a stand alone system for the Tranny.
Maybe the answer is to just figure out HOW EVERYONE ELSE DOES IT. Many many cars out there on the showroom floors offer an Electronic Transmission, BUT with the option of ALSO manually shifting it. Why can they do it, but we can't ???
If shift points, downshifts, Torque Convertor lock up, holding a gear longer, and more, can all be addressed in the chip, then why cant this issue be addressed. I'd settle for a Race Program that I must MANUAL shift ONLY, and cant use as a fully automatic.

Kind of like when you converted an old T-400 to manual shifting ONLY. But with us, we'd simply hit a switch and go back to our street program AND FACTORY AUTOMATIC SHIFTING.
THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS.

BTW, I'd outshift that computer ANYTIME

Old 08-12-2004 | 06:57 PM
Re: How electronic is our transmissions?

Originally posted by VyPeR
Is there something we can install that would electronically hold the transmission in a specific gear? For instance: Dyno runs in 3rd gear for newbies without downshifts; and maybe on the road course coming out of a corner under hard acceleration, so the tail doesnt kick out due to downshifts... I can think of other uses, but not important.

Just wondering if someone has something like this?
Maybe Jim@JDM can chime in here. I heard he played an integral role in the development of both the 4R100 and the E40D?

Old 08-12-2004 | 07:16 PM
Originally posted by 03GreyLightning
What about this

Click Me
BTW Grey, thanks for the offer on hosting the pic's
And WOW I like what I'm reading in that link

Initial calibration only requires answering a few quick
questions in the calibration program. Tire size and
gear ratio are plugged in to assure proper speed data.
The installer also answers whether the unit is a 4L60E
or 4L80E, and the unit is ready to go. Additional
calibration is only required if users wish to customize
the shift characteristics to suit their wishes.
DO I KNOW THAT ANSWER ? WILL THIS WORK FOR US ??

A feature exclusive to T-Com is the ability to
have part throttle shifts as a function of road speed
and Wide Open Throttle shifts as a function of engine
RPM. WOO HOO AWESOME

Plus, T-Com makes tuning quick and simple.
Allows the TCU main harness to be pigtailed
into an existing TPS while still functioning
with the engine control module. SOUNDS GOOD TO ME
OR SOMETHING ?

EDIT

I just sent them an e-mail to ask a few questions

Hi Support @ Fuel Air Spark,

Does your Transmission Control Unit System work with a 2002 Ford SVT Lightning with a 4R100 Transmission ???

So your saying I can have my transmission shift at a certain MPH when not at WOT, meaning I can hold a gear to a certain MPH and it WILL NOT shift until I get there ???

And then at WOT I can have it shift at a certain RPM ???

Can I shift it manually ??? or would I have the same problem we have now where it DOES NOT SHIFT RIGHT AWAY
when you manually shift the transmission ???

Exactly what do I need to buy (what part number / numbers)
and How much ???

Thank You for your time

Rob

Last edited by Rob_02Lightning; 08-12-2004 at 07:27 PM.
Old 08-12-2004 | 07:43 PM
My SCT Racer Pro allows all that control over the tranny. Not sure about the manual shifting thing as I never do it. But I re-did all the shift points in mine. For example it will not shift into OD until 50 mph, no matter how low the load is; stock was doing it under light throttle at 38 or so. I have a program to hold third gear from downshifting at all, just for the dyno. And under WOT it shifts at whatever rpm I choose, each gear could be different if I wanted. Also changed when it comes out of lockup in each gear as often it would be bogging before the trans would downshift or the converter would un-lock. Your tuner has access to all of this.

Jody

Quick Reply: How electronic is our transmissions?