Lightning

Question for the police guys, or anyone else who might know....

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2002 | 03:12 PM
|
Angry Question for the police guys, or anyone else who might know....

Okay, awhiles back I got pulled over for my tint and my windshield banner. Repair order for tint, got it removed. $50.00 citation for the banner, took it off and payed fine as well. So today I get a notice from the MVA stating that I have another point added to my licence for "Driving a vehical with view obstructed/Not in control". WTF!WTF! No where on the ticket did it say or mention any points were gonna be added. If it did have I would have fought it in court. So what the ****** do I do now. I called the number on the notice and the lady basically said im screwed.

As you can imagin I feel like going to the MVA right now and start throwing shi** around. My clean record ruined for a sticker?! So what should I do??

Old 06-22-2002 | 04:25 PM
tint

you could always do what i did with my last truck = tinted side windows,go to your local eye doctor tell him or her you have light sensitive eyes, which i do, and they will write you a prescription or permit for tinted glass,you have to have it updated once a year,after a couple of times being pulled over,showed permit,word was out ,never pulled over again.

Old 06-22-2002 | 09:29 PM
Don't take this wrong but leave the stickers to the ricers and if tint is illegal in your state then don't put it on and you should be OK. I used to be a copper and I would usually pull people over for such things and give them a warning-nothing else unless they had an attitude prob then it was everything in the book!

Old 06-23-2002 | 01:00 AM
Well, unfortunately, if they assess 1 point for that violation, and you paid it, you took the point. Once you have paid it, which is basically pleading guilty and taking the civil penalty (the fine), the judgement is assessed and there is no going back. Here in FL, those are non-moving violations and DO NOT count as points that could raise insurance rates. FL does not assess points for non-moving violations.

Old 06-23-2002 | 01:27 PM
|
Slapshot.
I know that by paying you assume guilty. In every ticket that I have recieved its stated what im getting fined and if any points will be added. Like a speeding ticket I got 3 years ago, fined $75 and 1 point for doing 75 in a 45. I didn't fight since I knew I was caught red handed, (i.e. Speed trap). This ticket just had the fine amount highlighted ($50) and thats it. That is why I didn't contest it. It never mentioned any points. So how can they add points if the original ticket didn't mention them??

Old 06-24-2002 | 03:41 PM
Never admit guilt.

By not fighting your tickets, you're helping the terrorists !!!

ok, that's a stretch, but seriously, if we don't fight tickets, "we get the enforcement we chose"

Fight all traffic infractions, regardless of your perceived guilt... If you don't, they simply use the money as another tax, grow accustomed to the additional money, use it, and then cry for more money !

Now, to hop off the soapbox... It depends on what you were charged with / pleaded guilty to. Specifically, was it a moving violation. Being a former resident of the Peoples Republic of Maryland, it sounds like you got a moving violation, not an inspection ticket... Looks like you got both... Sounds like a state cop...

Once you plead guilty, your record is tarnished, and you forfeit your right to appeal.

Driving vehicles like ours, we need to be concious of what 'draws attention' to us as motorists... Any vehicle faster than a police cruiser, louder than..., better looking than..., etc... makes you a target of 'focused enforcement'. You can minimize that attention by keeping the vehicle clean, uncluttered, and keep appearance mods 'low key'.

FWIW, I didn't know banners weren't legal in the PRM, and I moved out less than 2 years ago, having grown up there...

Well, I suggest a consideration of driving habits, and a little more vigilance keeping an eye out for 'The Man' for the next 3 years until you can expunge your record.

I wish it were better news. Good luck.

Old 06-24-2002 | 10:40 PM
Going to a doctor will get you off the hook in the future... But if your eyes arent bad your probley not going to get the paper work you will need.I think the medical word for it is photooptic. also it cant be an Optomitrist.. ( did i screw that word uP)... He has to have the correct letters after his name .. been there done that... Now im legal with limo tint.

Blown93 Lighting

True Blue 2002
Stock

Old 06-24-2002 | 10:54 PM
Speaking of tint.. I got pulled in VA on my way to OH last year in my 93 stang. It was raining,I was in the right lane with about 10mph below the speed limit traffic.(cause of the heavy rain) The State Trooper pulls me over even though there are semi's flying in the left lane. Ends up all is was for was tint. Its perfectly legal in North Carolina where I live (35%) and where the car is registered but he gave me a ticket anyways. I think they just know its cheaper for an out of state person to pay the ticket rather than try to get back up there and fight it with a lawyer. At least there werent points involved.

Billy

Old 06-25-2002 | 11:55 AM
Originally posted by blowntruck
Slapshot.
I know that by paying you assume guilty. In every ticket that I have recieved its stated what im getting fined and if any points will be added. Like a speeding ticket I got 3 years ago, fined $75 and 1 point for doing 75 in a 45. I didn't fight since I knew I was caught red handed, (i.e. Speed trap). This ticket just had the fine amount highlighted ($50) and thats it. That is why I didn't contest it. It never mentioned any points. So how can they add points if the original ticket didn't mention them??
Well, In FL, our citations don't even have the points on them for any violation. I tell people how many points it is as a courtesy, and just so they will know. You may try contacting the clerk of the traffic court and ask them about it. I can't see how assess points for equiment type violations.

Old 06-25-2002 | 02:35 PM
|
Originally posted by slapshot

Well, In FL, our citations don't even have the points on them for any violation. I tell people how many points it is as a courtesy, and just so they will know. You may try contacting the clerk of the traffic court and ask them about it. I can't see how assess points for equiment type violations.
Thanks Slapshot. Don't get me wrong. I got caught for tint and decal, okay whatever. Its just that in Maryland every ticket that I have got or someone I know they write on it how many points will be added ( at least all the tickets iv'e seen). Yea I will contact the clerk of traffic court to clear this mess up and hopefully restore my record. Keep up the good work.

Old 06-25-2002 | 03:19 PM
|
Hahaha, YES!!! I called the clerk told him what happened and said that the point and fine are BS! He set me up with a new court date and said If I were polite and stated what happend to the judge that the judge would remove the point and fine, or at least the point.

Quick Reply: Question for the police guys, or anyone else who might know....