Lightning

Check Eninge Light Soon

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2002 | 09:21 AM
|
Check Eninge Light Soon

Well,
I go out in the the truck and go and fill it up with gas. While doing this the wife turns the key to the on position to roll down the window. After starting back up and driving for a while, I notice that the AOD light is flashing on the shifter. Okay, maybe it has something to do with the gas cap. So I stop at a local eatery and check the cap and restart the truck. No flashing, OK. Start driving and notice that the shifts are very hard and occuring at about 1500 rpms from 1st to 2nd and from 2nd to 3rd. Then the infamous "Check Engine Soon" light comes on after I have to brake hard (not lock up). I arrive home and put it to rest for the night and check it this morning and the "Check Enigine Soon " light was still there and but no AOD flashing. Any possible clues to what this may be?

Steve

Old 06-23-2002 | 09:36 AM
It probably has something to do with the gas cap being off... I would disconnect the negative batt lead for a while to clear the pcm.....Probably be ok after that..I believe the fuel system is pressurized..JR

Old 06-23-2002 | 12:19 PM
Cool

Steve,

If you have a local Autozone they should have a tester behind the counter. They can plug in under the driverside dash and read the code. The tester will let them erase the code too. You will have to disconnect the battery otherwise. They have a list of the codes on their computer to tell you what is wrong.

Old 06-23-2002 | 12:43 PM
Originally posted by LTNBOLT
Steve,

If you have a local Autozone they should have a tester behind the counter. They can plug in under the driverside dash and read the code. The tester will let them erase the code too. You will have to disconnect the battery otherwise. They have a list of the codes on their computer to tell you what is wrong.
Yep, AutoZone's the bomb diggity for figuring that stuff out on the cheap.

FYI, if the OD light was flashing and your trans was shifting goofy, that's not your gas cap. If it's what I think it is, one of your ABS sensors might have gone on the fritz, making the computer think that your trans was slipping... From what I remember, if the output from your rear ABS sensor doesn't match what your VSS/OSS puts out (speedo reading) within a certain percentage, the ECU thinks your trans is slipping and does the kind of stuff you describe.

Quick Reply: Check Eninge Light Soon