Lightning

changing belts

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2002 | 05:14 PM
|
changing belts

are their any special tools or tricks required to change the belts on a lightning, my ford dealer tried to change them and told me they could not because they did not have the right tool, it was something about locking the flywheel? any instructions on changing belts would be appreciated.

Old 06-25-2002 | 05:34 PM
well the s/c belt needs to have the fan taken off, and the other belt has to have the stock lower pulley removed. so they need to look up the torque converter so that it doesn't spin while trying to remove it.

Old 06-25-2002 | 06:00 PM
The fan DOES NOT need to come off to change the s/c belt.
It will just slip around the blades of the fan one at a time, but it will come off.

For the accesory belt, the stock supercharger lower pulley has to come off before you can get to it.

This is one of the selling points of non-caged lower pulleys.

Instead of using a strap like the one that comes with the tuners aftermarket pulley, I've seen a way to wedge a 14mm wrench on one of the inspection cover bolts while the closed end of the wrench is on the nut of the converter. I believe the instructions for the ASP lower pulley outlines it this way. It doesn't necessarily require a special tool.

Jason

Old 06-25-2002 | 08:27 PM
I've changed my s/c belt 3 or 4 times---as Struck said--no fan removal is necessary.

Dan

Old 06-25-2002 | 08:51 PM
Thumbs down

Looks like another Ford dealer to stay clear of!

Quick Reply: changing belts