Lightning

Pulley/no program

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2002 | 06:55 PM
|
Pulley/no program

New to the Ls to hang wtih me.

First off, have I been misreading the MMFF articles where they are pulleying up without a program change?

The big problem is I don't know how the Ls computer operates internally with regard to specific operations. IE: timing vs boost vs MAF, ect.. This isn't a general question (Ive been using LT1Edit with the Z and know the internals pretty well), as I know how most of the different ECU systems work, just nothing specific about the lightnings.

For example:
What parameters are changed to allow for safety when increasing boost? Is it a Load or VE issue. I would have ASSumed that the tables/algorithms dealing with spark timing would be boost sensitive. Likewise for the fuel maps. If it were just a question of A/F ratio, then it would seem everyone would just used the likes of a MAF translator or recalibrate MAF to trick the ECU.

Any FAQS or links dealing with Ford ECUs for boosted applications would be appreciated.

Thanks.

_Craig

Old 06-25-2002 | 07:15 PM
Craig, there is nothing on the Lightning that senses boost. Reprogrammed chips are calibrated based on real world tuning, via dyno, street, and track. Air/fuel and timing is set based on boost level to be used, fuel to be used, application, and many other variables. All of our data comes from years of experiance working on these trucks.

As for increasing boost without recalibration, we usually don't suggest more than 2psi over stock with no chip. It CAN be done, as stock timing and fuel is way less aggressive than a programmed chip at WOT, however increasing boost with a stock program can lead to part throttle issues, like tip in detonation, or ping under non-WOT load, such as towing, or hauling.

As for MAF "devices", you want to stay away from those. The PCM uses the MAF voltage input to calculate load, which is used to control shift duration, EPC pressure, and converter lock up. Aftermarket MAF devices, and aftermarket "bolt on" MAFs (with no calibration correction in the PCM) will kill the trans.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-25-2002 | 07:47 PM
|
Hmm, not boost sensitive. Then it would be downright crazy to pulley up without altered timing curves.

So it is a load vs advance table I take it. Since load is determined via MAF, is there an implied boost coeff used for computation of (actual_airflow/100perc_airflow_atrpm)?

Basically the Ls computer has more in common with the NA setups than I though

Also how do the 02s differ outside of more agressive timing?

Quick Reply: Pulley/no program