Lightning

2000 L want to do 2001 Signal Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2002, 05:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2000 L want to do 2001 Signal Mirrors

I have a 2000 Lightning and want to convert to 2001-02 Lightning signal mirrors. Has anyone done this by ONLY replacing the painted flap with the signal built in, not the whole mirror assembly. Splicing wires, if necessary, is no big deal since i think i've read that they are already there. If you have done this what part numbers would i need to do this, since the ford parts guy said there are flaps with two different style plugs, round and square, for before Jan 01 and after for the 2001 model run, but i don't know if this will matter if i need to splice. Also, are there any modifications going to be necessary for the mirror assembly to accomodate the bigger signal flap.

Thanx for any help,
Bill

Old 07-02-2002, 06:12 PM
Question turn signal mirrors

I was looking at doing the same thing on mine...the closest (or easiest) thing I found was at "stylinconcepts.com".
It looks like they have a mirror replacement thet has the red arrows in them for $259. a set.
From talking with them, it replaces the stock lense from the power mirror...if I am guessing, there is more to it than just a simple lense swap.
Just an idea

Old 07-03-2002, 12:57 PM
Thanx for the reply, not exactly what i was looking for, but something to think about if no one has done what i'm talking about. Would still like to hear from anyone who has done this, or looked into doing it and found out it coul not be done.

Thanx again,
Bill

Old 07-07-2002, 03:14 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The wiring is in the door panel, on the 01 Screw, the regular F-150 seem to get this from the wire bundle.

I don't know for sure if the glamor cap is 100% covertable, but is should be, if it is the same mirror on the L vs a standard F-150 Lariat.

Muth's manual page
http://www.kwmuth.com/TechSupport/In...ionManuals.htm

Check with the parts department ( or fordparts online ) and see if the "regular" mirror is the same p/n as the L.

The other thing I do not know for 100% sure is if you can get just the glamor cap with the signal on the outer edge, or if you have to get the complete mirror head. I know you can buy just the colored glamor caps, when converting non signal to non signal, long way of saying I don't know if there is any mirror head shape changes between the 2.

It is a series of clips on the inside of the mirror to remove it, so you may want to take the mirror off the truck when you do it, rather then trying to pull the mirror off, and back on with it mounted ( seem to recall quite a bit of pressure needed to put the glass back in ).
Taking the glamor cap off without pulling the mirror, I have never tried, as I don't want to break any of the clips on the mirror head.

Sorry it is not the EXACT answer you are looking for, but with a tad bit of leg work at a part counter, you should be able to get the p/ns and figure it out.

Old 07-07-2002, 06:53 PM
Thanx for the reply, that info is helpful. I think the parts guy was just trying to get me to buy a whole mirror housing (about $300 for set)as opposed to just the flap.

Bill

Old 07-08-2002, 11:51 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You not going to like this.

I just got off the phone with Gary at Fordpartsonline.com, I was orderng the glamor caps for my truck so I could paint them silver to match ( among other things ).

When he asked if I had singal mirrors or not, I said no, can I just get the differnet cover to convert. He said no, it is a complete mirror assy, not just a glamor cap.

Sorry for the bad news, I thought I would let you know the results of the above, now that I found it out.

The search of side mirror under 01 Ford F-150 gave :
$119.69
Front Door, Regular & Super Cab, Outside Mirrors, Mirror, Electric, W/Signal(L)

So it is slightly cheaper then the local dealer. There are glamor caps with signal lights, but I guess from what Gary said the mirror head is slightly different. Maybe you could call and verify that this is not just for the wiring. I could almost see that the mirro head would be slightly different, to allow for the signal mirror.

Just thought I would update with a little more specific info.

Guess the Muth Signal mirrors are looking a little better <g>
BTW : The cap would come the same way I guess, prep'd to paint in a white gel coat or similar.

Old 07-08-2002, 12:52 PM
Hey, thanx for doing some leg work for me, I definately appreciate it, with my work/school schedule I have time for next to nothing. Sounds like bad news but pretty much what i figured. Guess i will be looking into the muth signals.

Thanx again for all of your help,
Bill

Quick Reply: 2000 L want to do 2001 Signal Mirrors