Lightning

F1 Tire Blowout

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2002 | 10:35 AM
|
F1 Tire Blowout

Hey guys,

I was driving back to Dallas from vacation in Yellowstone. On the 10th day of my 10 day roadtrip I was heading through New Mexico with my cruise control set at 80 mph and my front right tire blew out. I kept the truck under control and brought it over to the shoulder. I get out and the truck is on the rim. The tread had completely torn away from the sidewalls. I was very shocked to see a tire fail like this. I had checked the tire pressure the day before and all four tires were set at 35 psi. I also did a visual inspection of the tires that morning and all tires looked fine. I didn't notice the truck pulling right or anything like that before the blowout so I don't think it had gone flat on me, also there was no sign of a puncture (no nails or screws). Has anyone else seen these kind of problems with the F1's? I really feel lucky that me and my girlfriend were not hurt. The only damage to the truck was the anti-lock brake cabling was ripped apart.

I am wondering if this failure is similar to the tread separation failures the Firestone tires were having? I guess I should take this to the Dealership and have them take a look at it. Hopefully I can get a free replacement.

Old 07-03-2002 | 11:55 AM
We had the same thing happen on our 99L on the third day we owned it. Going down the highway at 75... then boom! a big plume of white smoke behind the truck and the tire was gone. The out side sidewall, was blown out (about 2in of rubber missing), and the inside was shreaded apart leaveing the tread entirely off the rim.

Goodyear says a hex head bolt hit the tire in the thickest part of the tread and caused the failure... Either way, the dealor was nice enough to buy us a new tire (~$500 back in the day).

Old 07-03-2002 | 02:40 PM
I've had two failures in the last 30 days. Both were due to punctures in the tread.

The tires have a pretty stiff sidewall, so you don't really feel that they are low. When they run low, they heat up, and eventually fail.

One tire failed, after a slow leak. The other had a chunk ripped out of the tread, and went down in a few feet.

Pretty exciting, but on injury or damage to me.

Quick Reply: F1 Tire Blowout