Lightning

Chrome for Plastic?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2002 | 03:14 PM
|
Question Chrome for Plastic?

Does anyone out there know if it is possible to have plastic chromed? I really like the look of the new Harley grill. I think it would look awesome on my silver "L" However the lower grill would then look like total S--T! I wonder if it would be possible to have the lower grill "chromed" to match. Lightning geniuses please advise.
Ryan

Old 07-03-2002 | 04:03 PM
Posting Rights Suspended
There are companies that chrome plate plastic.

I don't remember who it was on here that was onto a company that does that...

Old 07-03-2002 | 06:00 PM
|
Smile cool

Thanks "Tampa"! Its good to know that at least the technology exists. Hopefully someone will chime in with some further insight!
Ryan

Old 07-03-2002 | 08:08 PM
Shoot this guy an email glenn@imprub.com. His name is Glenn, he posted on one of the other boards I frequent about having the ability to chrome plastic. See if he can help you out or at least point you in the right direction.

Good luck.

--wes

Last edited by red00Lightning; 07-03-2002 at 09:36 PM.
Old 07-03-2002 | 08:13 PM
The process is called "metalizing plastic". Can be done in many different finishes. Chrome, brass, gold, matt silver, etc.

Old 07-03-2002 | 09:38 PM
DL
1 st choice, Call ArtCraft in CA. Ask for Jim. 818-845-9292

2nd choice, Another company was Chrome-Tech 608-274-9811 in Wisconsin.

I think they can help you with the plastic chrome plating. I haven't ordered anything from them, but I did a lot of research a couple of months ago about getting plastic chrome plated. Not to many small companies around to do the work, mostly large companies and they don't want to do small jobs.

They were recommended by several plating companies. Some companies do vacuum plating, the two companies listed do NOT use Vacuum plating. If you are going to have something plastic on the outside of the L plated, Don't get it vacuum plated. Vacuum plating will not hold up to the outside elements well. If its for the inside of the L, Vacuum plating is OK and a little cheaper.

Old 07-04-2002 | 07:45 PM
Actually, the Harley's bottom grill is black like ours but with the grills slightly closer together.i really don't think you would even notice the bottom grill. When I look at the H/D, I notice the nice upper grill but my eye never goes down to see the bottom.The 02 grills do look much nicer than the 01's do, IMHO.

Old 01-10-2006 | 01:45 PM
Dug up an old post via a google search.... Wow.

Did any of you actually get any of these processes done, and if so, how'd they turn out?

-Joe

edit: By the way, I'm looking for a true nickel-chrome plating, not vacuum metalizing. V-M won't hold up to the elements on tailgate handle.

-Joe

Last edited by GIJoeCam; 01-10-2006 at 01:50 PM.
Old 01-10-2006 | 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by TampaSVT
I don't remember who it was on here that was onto a company that does that...
I think one of them may have been me... Here is one of the places that I found. A few of the other ones no longer have valid websites.

http://mmmetalizing.com/services.html (vaccuum chroming)

I haven't had anything done through them, but it looks like it'd be worth a try. Might want to directly ask them how the plating would hold up in the weather before you order...

Hope this helped,

Steve

Old 01-10-2006 | 06:27 PM
You could always use the "grille mod" mldg for the lower for less than 10 bucks!

Old 01-10-2006 | 06:39 PM
^^ thats what I ended up doing, turned out pretty nice.

Old 07-25-2006 | 07:52 PM
chrome on Plastic

After 4 years of research, we have at last found a process that allows to chrome all types of surface that could not be chromed before (wood, plaster, fiberglass, glass, plastic). With a large variety of colors which includes bronze, brass, gold, our system gives high class results.

At La Shop à Bandit, we will help you make the best choice for your pieces between chrome, professional polishing or gold plated. Do not hesitate to communicate with us.

We now have the system directly at the garage. Consequently it will now cost you only $1.25 per square inch to chrome your pieces. This price can be negotiated if you have a large amount to chrome.

We invite you to visit our website www.lashopabandit.com and to suscribe to our mailing list on our MSN site which will be soon all bilingual http://www.msnusers.com/lashopabandit

Old 07-25-2006 | 10:45 PM
the j-jent lower is a close match, search the username "ez speed"

Old 07-26-2006 | 12:46 AM
LaShopaBandit,

What a name...Is this for real....Only one post. A lot of scam's going around lately . No flame intended..

Quick Reply: Chrome for Plastic?