Lightning

My MAC Air Filter is here (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2002, 12:34 AM
BfB
Banned For Rules Violations
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by LightningTuner

As for using a modified airbox, that works good, but I have seen problems from the small filter on trucks running an extra 4 and expecially 6 psi. Problems ranged from part throttle drivability issues to power drop off at high rpm. All were fixed by switching to the larger filter.
Hmmm, I have never experienced the part throttle issues, BUT I did notice that my truck felt "strange" in the upper rpms, mainly between hp peak (about 4750 on mine) and shift point (about 5450), after putting on the 5# lower pulley. To be honest, it felt like it was running out of steam. Now, granted, this was before I did the airbox mod I keep bragging about, and I didn't have the airbox mod we did on long enough to see if it felt any better cause I traded it in a few days later on my new '02.

I know you like lots of data
Heheh Thank you for being cool about this. I also appreciate your timely replies especially for being like nearly midnight (sheesh, you're on Eastern though, right?).

Last thing if you do not mind...what differences are their between your kit and JL's in "working" terms? I'm not asking for "why mine is better" (I came to that conclusion myself, <G>), just physical differences and working differences. They just seem to be so darn similar.

Thank you!

Last edited by BfB; 07-19-2002 at 12:41 AM.
Old 07-19-2002, 09:59 AM
Sal,as for the univer, it is 360 degree metering , but it does have a sweet spot, this has been tested by many shops that have been on the tuning scene I am sure longer than you have.
also so you are so quick to try and make myself and others look like an ***. step back and chillout you are not the all mighty. .

Oh and the rotation of the MAF is not self reasoned BS , this is hands on racing from when MAF first came onto the Ford scene.

oh and BFB goto your favorite dyno and make a few pulls rotating the MAF and see what happens with the A/F and power figures.
you will see the self reasoned BS is true, better yet call pro-m and ask them.

Last edited by walker887; 07-19-2002 at 10:34 AM.
Old 07-19-2002, 10:10 AM
BfB
Originally posted by walker887

also so you are so quick to try and make myself and others look like an ***. step back and chillout you are not the all mighty. .
No, he's NOT trying to make you look like an ***. He's bringing absolute tested tech to the table, not self reasoned non proofed BS!

Retract your ridiculous statement!

Sal,as for the univer, it is 360 degree metering , but it does have a sweet spot, this has been tested by many shops that have been on the tuning scene I am sure longer than you have.
The only "sweet spot" I can comprehend this to be would be w/ the stock airbox assembly, i.e. the air flows in-in a certain path. Even then I wouldn't believe it's anything but totally miniscule. W/ a conical open filter how could this be of an issue?

Old 07-19-2002, 12:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Walker, I never said the MAF rotation thing was BS. I am well aware of MAF rotation and how it affects sampling. I've done much R&D with MAFs, calibrations, and sampling over the years.

And I am not trying to make you look like an ***. You made a statement that was not correct and potentially damaging to other people's trucks. I was just giving you known info that's been proven. The "you looking like an *** part" you are doing on your own.

I know there are many people like yourself that feel that I have an "all mighty" attitude sometimes, but I'll tell you what - when you've spent 8 years working with nothing but Lightnings every single day of your life, then you can come here with that attitude as well.

Old 07-19-2002, 12:38 PM
BfB

Oh and the rotation of the MAF is not self reasoned BS , this is hands on racing from when MAF first came onto the Ford scene.
Well, try and position your STOCK MAF in it's STOCK airbox any different than 180 degrees. You make it out as if you can do it by every known degree on the turning radius.

W/ Sal's kit, JL's kit, and others, it puts the MAF in the ORIGINAL location.

Anyhoo, I NEVER stated that changing the MAF to a different radius wouldn't affect the vehicle's inputs. I've known this since back when Pro-M was selling MAF for Mustangs.

Also, I NEVER stated you were bringing in self reasoned non proofed BS either. I was simply stating that Sal DOESN'T bring THAT to the table. He brings PURELY tested absolute tech!

You were upset at Sal because he stated some different opinions than you. To you, you felt like he was hammering you, when in reality he wasn't. I reasoned w/ him on the airbox above in this very post! I don't see why you can't either.

And LightningTruck stated the inside measurement of the ring is 85mm, not 90. Did you possibly measure it to be 90? If so lemme know. He may have measured it wrong.

Anyhoo, it's all cool in my book.

Last edited by BfB; 07-19-2002 at 12:53 PM.
Old 07-19-2002, 12:48 PM
you know something Sal , as I may say this will be my last post on F150.
this thread was started by Chikenears about a new airkit he has installed. I followed up with the info that was asked for, and stated what I know from experience on the MAF rotational factor that not alot of people now about here, but I am sure would like to know.
and as far as the statement that after so any years of working on something you can come here with that attitude.
no one wants that attitude , that is the attitude that drives people away.

Now you state I made a statement that is potentially damaging to someones truck, give me a break Sal. I remeber a PSP thread along while ago about a filter kit you sold a young lady and her husband when the 01's first came out.
I fail to see that a 16th or less lip from the air tube to the MAF is going to damage someones truck.

you state also Lightnings for 8 years, well you know the gen2 has been oout since 99 so unless you are including the Gen1's of 93-up I feel your high and mighty attitude is out of line.
I personally have been in this ford arena between Lightnings and Mustangs 14 years , and you do not see me act like you until you chime in.
you may have been a Ford Tech at one time and that is fine, I agree with alot you say but when someone disagrees with you , watchout.
I'm sure BFB the tuner Biatch that he is will chime in , but that is ok , he is the dyno king and tells me my experience is BS.
I will not retract anything that I say , because it is all the things I have seen go on for the last year or so here and there.

Good luck with the trucks and business, I know you try hard.
maybe we can meet up at a race sometime and have a few beers and laugh about it all.

Old 07-19-2002, 12:55 PM
BFB i knew you had to chime in, yes I own a mustang , and drive a mustang and I can say a very potent mustang at that. I have owned and drove many mustangs , along with a 94 , 95 and a 00 mustang so do not even go there.

I was not talking stock box dude , you read and hear what you want too .

also you do not want turbulence ito the TB either.

so in jumps you , you need to reread what you write to get your quotes correct.

and its not a low blow at all, do a search on many of the posts by Sal , or even yourself and read them .

I have learn alot form experience and trial and error, and you have learned alot form the search button.

oh and yes it does measure 90mm.

Old 07-19-2002, 01:03 PM
BfB

BFB i knew you had to chime in
Technically, it was before your post. You should re-read my post just above, then correct yours if you wouldn't mind. I edited it before you posted. As I said, it's all cool in my book.

oh and yes it does measure 90mm.
Okay, thanks, that is what I wanted to know.

Old 07-19-2002, 01:04 PM
I'm not discrediting you Walker, and I'm not doubting your experiance. However, over the years, MANY Mustang tuners have tried thier hands at the Lightning market using the knowledge they have gained from tuning Mustangs, and it simply does not always apply. Just because something works on a Mustang, doesn't mean it works on a Lightning.

I know that you and Chickenears are getting a business going in the Lightning market. I am not trying to discredit you or make you look bad, but if you make a statement that is not true, and there is a chance that people will believe it, then I am going to correct it. And it's not like you have an idea and I have an idea and we don't agree, you made a factual statement that I know to be wrong, based on tested FACT, and I wanted to pass that along.

And I am well aware the the Gen 2s have only been out since 99. My Gen 1 experiance DOES matter, because I've been doing transmission calibrating for years before the Gen 2s came out, and that knowledge and experiance is why one of the transmission calibration engineers came to me for calibration advice on the Gen 2 project back in 98.

I don't have a beef with you at all, and I welcome the competition business wise. I've just been dealing with these trucks for so long that I know what works and what doesn't, and how certain things affect the trucks. I just try my best to stop bad info before it spreads, and trust me, there is a LOT of bad info out there.

Old 07-19-2002, 04:23 PM
Nice filter Chickears, but I like mine better

I know the pic could be better

Quick Reply: My MAC Air Filter is here (pics)