Lightning

HELP! Street Scene Speed Grille

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2002, 03:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry HELP! Street Scene Speed Grille

I just baught a set of Speed grilles for my 01 L and it fits like ****. STreet Scene says not to remove the stock grille but it looks like crap that way and the clips they sent are a joke just how are they sappossed to hold the grille in?they say the long clips on top and short on the bottom for the upper grill it just don't look right.
I like the look of the grilles from the pics I have seen here but I think there is just something I am not doing right. Any pics of what you guys did and some hints to make this work would be appreciatted.

Old 07-18-2002, 05:34 PM
here's help...

I can try to get pictures later tonight, but check this thread:

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...t=street+grill

Basically:

Throw away the clips. Use zip ties on the lower.
Dremel out the crossbars in the upper, dripp holes for zip ties and you'll get a "frame"

Check out my gallery for a picture of the install:

https://www.f150online.com/galleries...4123&anum=2083

Coldie

Old 07-18-2002, 06:10 PM
Sell me your bottom stock grill. I send you a e-mail.

Old 07-18-2002, 06:11 PM
Thanks Coldie I will try that some pics would be nice I like the way your L looks. Did you remove the whole grille frome the lower vallance openning?

Old 07-18-2002, 06:30 PM
I had the same exact problem with mine. I just took out the old grille, then drilled about 7-8 holes in the plastic that surronds the grille (one in each of the tabs that held the old grille in). I then used a stainless bolt in each hole to fasten it in. It looks great, but is not very stong without the old grille behind it.

Old 07-18-2002, 06:30 PM
lower grill...

Lower grill is easy.

five screws on the bottom of the truck and 9 screws holding the OEM grill in.

Yes, I removed the OEM grill.

Coldie

Old 07-18-2002, 11:23 PM
Does anyone have a closeup pic of the front I would like to see what it looks like with or without the front grille in. Also the speed grill I ordered for a 01 L has about a 1/2 inch of space all the way around it with the stock grille removed is this right? It fits in the stock grille just fine.

Old 07-18-2002, 11:45 PM
Where did you order it? I've seen a few places advertise the 99/00 ss grille as the 01 grille - but the part #'s dont match. The real part #'s for the 01/02's are 950-77719 for the upper and 950-77729 for lower (http://www.streetsceneeq.com/product_list.asp?mi=5)

Old 07-19-2002, 12:32 AM
mine was to small without the factory grille behind it too. i just flared the edges out a little

Old 07-19-2002, 04:25 AM
Are you going to sell me your stock bottom grill? What do you say?

Old 07-19-2002, 04:58 AM
REDY2KL I would offer to sell the grille but they have some disscoloration from something that got on them thats why I ordered the Street Scene grilles.

Old 07-19-2002, 09:20 AM
Old 07-22-2002, 08:17 PM
I installed my chrome ss grilles in my 02L over the weekend.

The upper ss grille fits into the stock grille frame but you can see the bars and emblem boss behind the ss grille. I went to the web site referenced and decided to cut out the stock grille bars. You have to remove the entire grille surround from the truck. I cut the center section out completely using a wood coping saw, the plastic is really soft so it only took 10 minutes to cut out the center bars. The ss grille will now slip into the grille surround nicely. Position the grille where you want it. I drilled 2 small holes for a zip tie on each side of a ss grille bar at the back edge of the grille at the center top and bottom and ends. Then I adjusted the zip ties to center the grill where I wanted. After I was satisfied with the position, I drilled additional holes for the additional zip ties. I did about 8 zip ties on the top, 6 on the bottom and 3 at the sides. I used the smallest black zip ties I could find so they wouldn't be seen through the grille. I noticed that when the light was right you could see the radiator behind the grille. I took flat black paint and painted the upper radiator black as well as the cross bar behind the grille. I also noticed you would get reflections from the bottom inner portion of the ss grille, so I painted that flat black also. I was lazy and did not remove the grille when I painted it and the lacquer paint etched the remaining gray plastic of the stock grille. Paint the grille before you zip tie it in, you only need to paint the bottom because you will only be looking down at the grille.

For the lower valance, you remove the entire stock grill by removing the screws. The ss grille fits perfectly into the opening. I used the zip tie method again. You need a small right angle drill to get into the tight spots. The right angle dremel attachment has been used by others. I have a right angle drill attachment tool that fits onto the end of a drill motor for really tight spaces. It's a tool that used in the aerospace trade and accepts special screw in drill bits. I've seen this right angle drill attachment for sale on ebay.

Started after work Friday and finished by noon Saturday about 5 hrs total. Sorry no pics, my daughter has my camera. Hope this helps. Sal

Quick Reply: HELP! Street Scene Speed Grille