Lightning

How do you guys/gals clean wax off plastic trim?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2002, 12:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do you guys/gals clean wax off plastic trim?

I hate having a nicely waxed truck and then noticing a white wax stains on the plastic step side trim or the mirror trim, etc... I try to be careful when I wax, but it still seems to happen...

It seems no normal cleaner can remove the stain...

What I've found works really well, not only to remove the white stain, but to also shine the plastic and make it look really rich and perdy is to use some Tire Wet spray (not gel or foam) on a cloth and just wipe the plastic down... I do this after every wash now. It makes the plastic glow nicely. I also use it on the window seal trims. It makes them nice and black with that shiny glow... I also use the Tire Wet for it's intended use on the tires, but found it works miracles on the plastic trim!

Take it for what it's worth...

Old 07-21-2002, 12:15 AM
I just use regular Armor All on all the black platic on the outside of the truck. Works great.

Old 07-21-2002, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by Lightning#838
I just use regular Armor All on all the black platic on the outside of the truck. Works great.
I sure do hate the smell of that stuff... smells like 5 day old B.O. or something...

Old 07-21-2002, 08:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've tried just about everything...

...and nothing seems to be a permanent fix. Lots of products seem to take it off for a few days or weeks, but eventually it comes back.

The thing that everyone who's tried it seems to endorse is peanut butter. I haven't tried it yet (the neighbors already think I'm nuts because I spend so much time washing that red truck, and because I use a leaf blower to help dry it). But then I worry about how I'd get the peanut butter off the black plastic trim!

Old 07-21-2002, 10:10 AM
3M Tar and Adhesive Remover works very well. Armour All and all similar products work by penetrating the wax. So in essence, the wax is still really there, but not visible. 3M T&AR will actually remove all of the Armour All on the first application. You will then be able to all of the wax that's on the trim. I was freaked out by how much white I saw. You must then work in the 3M with a toothbrush to remove the now visible wax.

HTH,
Edward

Old 07-21-2002, 10:35 AM
Mothers Back to Black

At any PEP boys. Stuff is for exterior trim only. stuff is made for wax residue on trim.

Old 07-21-2002, 09:06 PM
I used a bottle of alcohol and a small detail brush. I did that in the spring to clean off the wax from my trim and it has not come back. I wiped off the alcohol right away and then went over all my trim with armor all after I was done.

Took me a few hours to do, but worked perfect. Now I am super careful when waxing near the trim.

Old 07-21-2002, 09:33 PM
I've tried everything you can think of from commercial cleaners to home remedies.The only thing that I've found that will remove wax from textured plastic trim is 3M Bug & Sap Remover.Spray this stuff directly on the area and scrub down into the grain using a stiff toothbrush.This eventually is what worked on mine and it's been 5-6 months without any sign of wax residue returning.Believe me,this works.

Old 07-21-2002, 10:03 PM
peanut butter

Make sandwiches. Don't waste it trying to remove wax. It doesn't work. You can bet that most anything you use to remove the wax from the plastic will remove it from the painted surface as well. Best thing to do is tape them off or be extremely careful not to get wax on them. I've tried back to black, armor all, and all the "cover-ups", but they are just that. I heard kerosene or WD-40. I haven't tried them yet but will.

Old 07-21-2002, 10:14 PM
I've used peanut butter and it worked better than the armor all. 5 secs in the microwave on a plastic spoon and rub a little into the plastic with your finger. You end up not getting it on the paint like armor all, and your finger doesn't get all greasy.

Old 07-21-2002, 11:38 PM
I'm getting the plastic pieces on the steps&rear bumper filled and painted. tired of cleaning the wax off. i did my tailgate handle first liked it so much decided to do all the plastic.

Old 07-22-2002, 06:49 AM
I HAVE used peanut butter. After next rain and some sun, the wax on the plastic is back. Same thing happened with Armor All and Back to Black. They only HID the wax, did not remove it. Initially I thought the peanut butter was the *****. Another disappointment. Use it. You'll see. Waste a good sandwich.

check this site

http://www.rightlook.com/cgi-bin/wsm...+config+10.619

nvr l8 has the best answer.

Last edited by DR.D; 07-22-2002 at 07:03 AM.
Old 07-22-2002, 08:22 AM
WD40. works like a charm... even gets all the bug crap off the mirrors ('99 users only).

Old 07-22-2002, 08:31 AM
I was told the WD40 does the trick from a guy that works at a truck accessory shop. I haven't gotten around to getting another can of it to try it out however.

Old 07-22-2002, 10:11 AM
Rest In Peace
Thumbs up

I use WD40 and a toothbrush works great. Also i armor all the plastic using the armorall wipes. That does get rid of the white stains but they will come back once the armor all drys. Pretty soon once i get all the pieces and them panited i wont have to worry about the wax on the plastic.

Quick Reply: How do you guys/gals clean wax off plastic trim?