Lightning

Ran a 14.9 at the track tonight

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2002 | 12:03 AM
|
Thumbs down Ran a 14.9 at the track tonight

Well, I went to the track tonight and performed very poorly..I had a very good launch so it wasn't driver error..I ran a 14.9 and after that I was so upset I just went home and left my mustang buddies, who I trailed there. This was my first time at the track to see what my would do. They all ran mid to high 13s. I definitely know there is a restriction somewhere in the truck..My truck doesn't skip or anything, idles smoothly and hadn't had much trouble with detonation that i know of..

I've tried:
Dynojetting 345 RWHP and 418lb TQ (doesn't perform like it)
replaced fuel filter
air and fuel induction cleaning
cleaned air filter
checked to make sure my chip was contacting securely
replaced MAF
Replaced fuel pump and made sure hoses were clamped securely
replaced and used the stock motorcraft spark plugs

The truck feels sluggish through acceleration and in order to build good speed on the highway i have to downshift...
It sucks when my L doesn't stand up to its powerful reputation..Kinda like the Celica commercial..Just LOOKS FAST

I know it could be all of anything...Can anyone give me anymore things to check for?? My truck has 60K miles, 99L..Maybe the power falls off the higher in milage they go..

Old 07-21-2002 | 12:05 AM
Coil pacs

They fail, many times before 60,000 miles.

Old 07-21-2002 | 12:08 AM
Sounds like your boost is cutting off.Those times are typical for that problem.You sure your boost gauge is showing boost...can you hear the S/C?

Old 07-21-2002 | 12:08 AM
What exactly was the break down of the run?

What mods are you running?

Old 07-21-2002 | 12:24 AM
|
Well being it was my first time running at the track, I didn't know much about the break down of the run...I do know it was pretty warm air but don't know the mph the time was ran etc..I was too upset to even want to know the rest...I did think about the coil packs..Is there a way to diagnose the packs to see if they are functioning properly?? And yes I can hear my SC very loudly and the boost guage (as off as you guys say it may be) is working properly...The Truck launches out great but slacks up after first gear...At cruising speeds the acceleration sucks!

Only mods I have is an air raid box filter and a JDM 93 octane street aggressive superchip

Old 07-21-2002 | 12:34 AM
Do you still have the time slip? If so, list the numbers like this:

60'
330'
330' MPH
1/8
1/8 MPH
1/4
1/4 MPH

I believe you would check the impeadiance load of the coils... I'm not entirely sure on that, but I know 1BADTK and Sal could answer that for you...

But another though would be cylender compression... You might want to get a compression test and check the numbers to ideal/stock numbers...

Old 07-21-2002 | 01:11 AM
I went to reynolds on the 19th (this friday) in my 01' and ran a best of 14.236 @ 97.70 mph with a 2.143 60' (also best of night)

The air was some 90+ degrees with about the same humidity and my truck weighed 4940 lbs on account of taking nothing out of it and teaching my woman how to drive at the track. (Shes only 105, so id prefer to teach her and let her see what she can get out of it without my 230 lb *** in it)

I was expecting high 13's but that may have been a bit hopeful with the weight and the air.

I have no mods other than a factory tech shift kit. Also, the stock air filter was looking nasty, and I could not find a replacement on the way to the track....next friday though, hope to have plugs and a a K&N and less weight.

Old 07-21-2002 | 01:54 AM
Cool

HI!... Check out your CATS! My truck a few weeks ago started to lose power more and more till finally anythin over 2500RPM it would almost stall. After checking just about everything I could think of, including scanning it. I found out that my driver's side pre-CAT fell apart internally and plugged up the driver's side secondary CAT. After I removed my cats (BOTH SIDES), the truck was better than new again, LOUD but 1005 improvement. I'm currently waiting for my MAGNAFLOW S/S high flow cats to come in from MIKE T. My truck is also a "99". with 115,000KMS. Here's a few pics of the driver's side cats after I cut them off.

https://www.f150online.com/galleries...-793-23375.jpg
https://www.f150online.com/galleries...-793-23378.jpg
https://www.f150online.com/galleries...-793-23376.jpg
https://www.f150online.com/galleries...-793-23377.jpg

Old 07-21-2002 | 02:00 PM
|
Ok thanks...I'll have my Cats checked out tommorrow. Ford did tell me that I had a lot of backed up carbon in the fuel system. I had them do the fue/air induction service and thought that would solve the problem..I didn't think about the CATS though. If it were the coil packs, wouldn't there be some kinda major misfire or skipping???? I'm not getting that, it just seems like its some kinda restrictive flow somewhere in the system. It seems to be something minor because the truck purrs like a kitten and not throwing any codes..The catalyc converters are a thought though.. Neal did you cut all of your cats out???

Old 07-21-2002 | 02:14 PM
I do not think it is the miles. My 99'L has 66K and she runs like a champ. At 63K miles I ran a best of 13.1 .

Last weekend I ran in 95 degree hazy weather. I got in 5 runs in 2 hours so no cooling down. Ran 5 consitent 13.7's.

Old 07-21-2002 | 02:33 PM
BfB
Banned For Rules Violations
Originally posted by 99Zeus rtrns
Ok thanks...I'll have my Cats checked out tommorrow.
I doubt it's your cats. Do you smell anything rotten? Quit replacing things and let a fellow Lightning owner drive your truck on the street and at the track. They will be able to tell you if something feels different. You're spending a LOT of money replacing things and having things checked when you do not need to right now.

Listen, you're a newbie at the track so chalk it up as first time experience.

How were you launching and what was your 60 ft. time?

Your dyno #'s suggest nothing is wrong.

I suggest pulling your chip completely out and then seeing how it feels. Make sure you take the keys out of the ignition, disconnect your negative battery cable, pull out chip, replace battery cable, put key in the ignition, and fire it up!

Last edited by BfB; 07-21-2002 at 02:38 PM.
Old 07-21-2002 | 03:05 PM
Cool

HI!... 99Zeus rtrns : Yes I remove both the passenger's and driver's side CATS. Currently my truck is loud and not a nice sounding loud!LOL! I'm currently waiting for my order to come in from MIKE TROYER. I ordered :

- JDM/KOOKS long tube S/S headers
- S/S MAGNAFLOW "X" pipe
- S/S MAGNAFLOW mufflers (2)
- S/S polished 3 inch MAGNAFLOW exhaust tips
- S/S MAGNAFLOW high flow cats

By the way my CATS never stunk at ALL, and my truck idled perfectly.

Old 07-21-2002 | 03:18 PM
BfB
Banned For Rules Violations
Originally posted by Neal

By the way my CATS never stunk at ALL, and my truck idled perfectly.
He does have a point and now that I've thought about it more you could have clogged cats.

Here's a tip that "may" work to check and see if they are clogged:

Remove your oil cap and notice if any pressure is blowing back at you. Rev the motor up from under the hood and notice. It should be extreme if they are severely clogged.

Also, does your truck sound like a jet engine taking off? If not you may be partially clogged or have only 1 side clogged.

Old 07-21-2002 | 05:13 PM
Cool

HI!... What really gave me a hint that something was wrong with the CATS on the driver's side was that almost everytime I went to WOT, I kept blowing off one of the hoses on the D.P.F.E unit. It might be your CATS or not but it's worth a look.

Old 07-21-2002 | 05:57 PM
i also have a 99 mine only ran a 14.8 stock. i also raced in palmdale california at LACR very high altitude and crappy track. well just telling u the perspective from another 99

Quick Reply: Ran a 14.9 at the track tonight