Lightning

Cut Rear bump Stops, now tailpipes don't hit Trac bars???

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2002, 10:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cut Rear bump Stops, now tailpipes don't hit Trac bars???

Maybee I am just stupid but I can't figure this out.

Mt ruck is lowered 2 inches in the rear and 1 inch up front. I have JDM's full exhaust and traction bars.

With the stock rear bump stops the traction bars would hit the tail pipes a lot. Because of this I was afraid to cut the bump stops, think it would make the problem worse.

Since I was hitting the bump stops with the rear axle all the time, I decided to take a chance and cut allmost a inch off the rear bump stops.

What I can't figure out is this.

Now with the rear bump stops cut shorter, the traction bars allmost never hit the tail pipes any more. It is weird roads that I used to hit , I can now drive over no problem.

I guess it is not a bad problem to have not hitting the traction bars and the tail pipes. I just seams to me I should be hitting them more not less.

Anyone have any ideas??

Old 07-21-2002, 10:30 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
may sound like a dumb question

Were the traction bars hitting the tail pipes, or was this a case of hitting the bump stop caused a jolt to the truck, and the pipes hit something else, or rattled in the rubber mounts ?

When I read your post this is the first thing that came to mind was the jolt to the system caused the tail pipe to make the noise.

Now that the bump stop is 1" shorter, it might not be hitting it as much, and the tail pipes are not being jolted into making noise ?

Just a thought on the topic...without seeing the underside of the truck to know if the traction bar was leaving a tell tail mark on the pipe, and that is how you know it was actually hitting it. ??

Old 07-21-2002, 10:30 PM
Maybe since there's more travel, the first big hit actually dented your pipes, or bent a hanger.

Old 07-21-2002, 10:43 PM
SSCULLY
You know that might just make sense.

You can see where the b pait is worn off on the traction bars. Two little spots just below the tail pipes, so I know they were hitting.

Old 07-21-2002, 11:03 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Maybe then the jolt to the system caused the tailpipe to hit the traction bar, rather then the other way around ??

You would have to see how much travel you have in the tail pipe to see is the rubber hangers would allow them to hit the traction bar. I don't know what the mounting is on the JDM exhst, so I am guessing that it is rubber mounted..similar to the stock system.

The other thing to keep in mond is how much additional travel the traction bar now has when looking at this.

It would be kind of hard to simulate that type of wrap to the rear axel with the additional 1" of space in there, to see if the tail pipe could hit the traction bars,

Like I said I am pontificating here.

Quick Reply: Cut Rear bump Stops, now tailpipes don't hit Trac bars???