Lightning

I can almost GUARANTEE none of u have raced 1 of these; ME LUCKY!! (LONG POST)

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2002 | 01:20 AM
yea they're kept under 280hp..like 276 or something...

the cars to watch for from japan are:

lancer evo's
wrx sti's
fairlady z's (300zx)
supra tt
rx7 (both gen 2 and 3)
skyline
silvia (basically our 240 sx w/ turbo)

the 3000gt vr4 in my opinion is not reliable compared to the 300z and supra tt which is why u dont see that many in import magazines being built up...it's mostly the 300z's and supra tt's w/ an occasional gen 3 rx7 thrown in the mix..but never the 3000gts...

was the company motorex? they are (i think) the only official importer of skylines....and a couple of years back they had this prototype that was code-named "blackbird" that was a skyline running low low 12s...was like 123k but it looked AWESOME...and plus those cars (dunno what year they started) have some sort of display/computer that tells you how many G's your pulling...

Old 07-25-2002 | 03:46 AM
Actually there is a guy in newport beach with a new GTR,,,ive raced him about three times and spanked him everytime

Old 07-25-2002 | 09:35 AM
Brainless and Banned
Originally posted by '00WhiteLightneeen
i wouldn't be so quick to discount the s2000, they are pretty quick little cars (my roommate has one). These things will run in the high 13's stock, and they're very peppy once you get into the high rpms. I'm pretty sure there are supercharger kits for them too that will squeeze out another 100 horses! Its definitely a fun car to drive if you can throw a few twisties in there too

I was looking at the stock WRX, 227HP on the same size motor, with a turbo. I missed the part about the j-spec... those have 280hp! that would be a quick little car!!
Bro, those cars are garbage. I have yet to see one that after it was modded, it didnt run slower! For instance, at the track last night, one pulls up, blower screaming like crazy. It was a Vortec that was just about half the size of the motor! Ran a whopping 14.3-14.4 all night. And they are supposed to run 14.0 stock. Even seen tests in magazines when they first came out when they put a full Borla exhaust on one, ran slower as well.

Old 07-25-2002 | 10:18 AM
Hmmm.....

To the victors go the spoils.....

To the old and forgotten go the attitudes....

Old 07-25-2002 | 10:43 AM
|
To the many responses:

-I have no idea who was importing it. All I know is that I saw more right-hand drive vehicles in 15 minutes than I had in my entire life combined.

-Somebody commented on the AWD of the Skyline........I don't disagree that the guy probably feathered the clutch instead of dropping it...........Hey, if it WASN'T your car, would you drop it? I think not. Our trucks launch hard as hell, and yes, you're probably right in that it was the only reason why I was even ahead at all.....but like I said........there were a brief couple instances in which I felt that the L was pulling harder than the Skyline......

-276 HP is what they are rated at, but that figure is BS......they only rate the Skyline and countless other vehicles in Japan at that figure to abide by the laws. They're ALL underrated...........BIG TIME!

-If I had a 4# pulley, I'm sure I would of had him..........but it was the whole rush of racing something I'll probably see one or 2 more times in my life that had me wound up........

JC

Old 07-25-2002 | 11:26 AM
Originally posted by '00WhiteLightneeen
i wouldn't be so quick to discount the s2000, they are pretty quick little cars (my roommate has one). These things will run in the high 13's stock, and they're very peppy once you get into the high rpms. I'm pretty sure there are supercharger kits for them too that will squeeze out another 100 horses! Its definitely a fun car to drive if you can throw a few twisties in there too ...
For drag racing, I would. So far I have not seen one get into the low 14's yet at the track, granted thats the drivers fault, but it's still a long ways from high 13's. Read a review, Paxton S/C added 100hp, the best they could muster up out of it is high 13's. In order to drive the car fast you have to drive it like you hate it.

No as for handling, on roadcourses I only know word of mouth. But for auto-x events, those things are like mini go-carts. I would love to own one just for that. And thats what they were built for, not straight line performance.

Old 07-25-2002 | 12:16 PM
I rather use the money, to buy one, for mods

Old 07-25-2002 | 12:52 PM
I have driven an s2000 and thought it would be a joke. I was wrong big time. It was a wicked drive. It was like driving a formula 1 car on the street. The car has a button start and a tight chassis and can rev to 9000 all day long. I considered trading in the lightning but wised up after a day or too. I wish the lightning has as much technology into it. If it didn't mean getting rid of the L i would buy one today.

Old 07-25-2002 | 01:00 PM
|
Directly from the S2K boards......................in order to get anything near a high 13, and even a real low 14 sec. 1/4 mile, you gotta rev the crap out of it, and dump the clutch..........I don't know about you, but I don't see that as being very practical on a $33,000 car, unless you ***** money!

I've seen mid to high 14's the average at the track, for S2K's, and some low 15's for guys who are scared of leaving their clutch back next to the tree

They are wicked handling cars, and in their sweet spots within given rev-ranges, are killer from a roll..........but I wouldn't fear one, even if it's SC'd, with the L.......................I would love to run into that yellow SC'd S2K that lives down here in South Fla...........I see him often, but usually in the T-bird...........the one time I had a chance with him in the L, he was in front of me at a Light and took off way ahead of me, so I could do nothing..........I'd really like to see what it can do with a little blower!

JC

Old 07-25-2002 | 01:15 PM
Old 07-25-2002 | 01:39 PM
I'm a huge fan of skylines ... check out this dyno video of one w/ 852 ALL wheel hp:

http://www.exvitermini.com/movies/852r33.mpg

There's a lot more video's on this page:

http://www.exvitermini.com/mr33.htm

Later,

Old 07-25-2002 | 03:24 PM
I don't really care about if my truck is the fastes i just care about how much fun i have in it. I had alot of fun driving the s2000. I recommend driving one and see for yourself. You'd hop out of that seat wanting one i guarantee it.

Old 07-25-2002 | 03:34 PM
Originally posted by frgetit
Duh....er....uhh.....whats a skyline? I thought the only things with serious enough ballz to stick with/lick a Lightning that came from japan were the 3000gt, S2000, NSX, and the RX7 w/turbo. Whats the specs on this hog, and why is it such a big deal? Thanx

3000gt vr4????????????? hahahahahhahahahahahahahaha

Please... can't come close to the L... 0-60 in 6.0 flat, and that's with totally dumping the clutch... which can easily ruin those tranny's... my friend has a vr4 and his new acura TL type S even beats it... oh man... that's hilarious...

bone stock, my L with only 200 miles did 0-60 in 5.3... with my mods and 6500 miles, my best is 4.47 on the street with F1's without laying a patch of rubber down first...

Old 07-25-2002 | 03:51 PM
Nice run! When i lived in Okinawa during the early '90's, I was fortunate enough to own a turbo Skyline. Definitely a fun car to drive. Nearly got myself killed many times. Those who've driven in Japan know what i'm talking about. Speed + Narrow roads with no shoulders = Bad Stuff.

Old 07-25-2002 | 04:04 PM
The vr4 may have been slow here but it's alot faster over the pond. IMO the skyline gtr4-v spec is one of the ultimate rides there is. I like american cars but you have to wish we had as many different types of killer rides cruising our roads. You have to realize that if someone who owns a skyline v-spec would hop in one of our stock L's he would probably laugh. It's a whole different mindset overseas. You guys may think we love our cars but in japan they are extremeists about performance. It's really a way of life. They run in wolfpacks. Maybe someday there will be a competition of some sorts that would pit american cars vs the japs. I don't mean L's verses modified civics, i mean L's vs modifies supras tt and rx7 tt. I guarantee it would be a wicked fight and we would be very suprised. I guarantee we would be shocked. I've seen 600 horsepower civics in my area. I've heard about 900 hp supras.

Quick Reply: I can almost GUARANTEE none of u have raced 1 of these; ME LUCKY!! (LONG POST)