Lightning

Tranny problems anyone? I've got someone offering me a next to free rebuild.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2002 | 01:47 PM
|
Cool Tranny problems anyone? I've got someone offering me a next to free rebuild.

I'm just getting ready to install a boat load of parts on my L. So I contact some friends to find out about the tranny valve kits. I get turned on to this guy on the other side of the country who wants to make my tranny bullet proof for only the cost of a new torqe converter.

My problem is, I would have to drive/trailer my L to the other side of US to do this.
$150 line mod, turns into a $1,000 and change. The guy tells me that he has done R&D on powerstrokes for years and years. He charges w/o labor $3,200 for a tranny for a powerstroke. He's going to do everything w/labor for just the price of a new torqe converter if I'll drive down... he really wants to get into L's. I know he reputable from many many friends who've had powerstrokes done by him...

Think I should take a week off and go for it, or has anyone ever had a problem with L tranny's?

Old 07-25-2002 | 01:56 PM
and you're not packing right now because...........??????????????

man, I'd do it in a heartbeat............I wouldn't think twice if work and school didn't interfere..........i'd be packing for sure

JC

Old 07-25-2002 | 10:42 PM
Who where and when. My tranny sucks and I don't wanna do it myself. Other side of the country for you would be my side of the country. Let me know. Thanks, -Mat-

Old 07-25-2002 | 11:42 PM
|
I haven't gotten the 'official' word yet as to what will be done, and what can be done. As soon as I have some good information I will let you know....

Old 07-26-2002 | 12:43 AM
I would get a monster box from Greg Evens, trust me he has the MOST experience and you DON'T want to get into tranny problems!!! The cost will catch up with you!!! The Powerstroke doesn't have the same requirements as a race tranny!!!

Old 07-26-2002 | 01:59 AM
Actually, the Powerstroke is very similar to the L tranny inside, the case is different but basically all 4R100s are about the same, some have heavier parts, but a 6 gear planet is just like a 3 gear except it's heavier and has more pinions, a 5 plate clutch has (epiphany!!!) 1 more plate than a 4 plate clutch etc.... the biggest differnce is shift strategy and that's just fiddling with the valve body.
The thing that makes me the most curious about this guy is if he's been doing them for years, why does he need to build a Lightning to find out how. Like I said, if you're a tranny guy, it's mostly a matter of choosing which parts to put in it, there's nothing "magic" about it.
That said, before you go, get a build sheet, and know what he's doing to it before you have it done. I hope it works out for you.

G

(there is a sample build sheet on Sal's Forum, Under transmission tech, I posted one for someone who wanted to see what I meant)

Old 07-27-2002 | 08:40 PM
|
Yeah what factory tech said. In my guys defense (after having more time to speak with him now)... I started asking him what he can do and he set me strait. He told me

this isn't anything "new", it's the same thing I've done to this tranny for the last 5+ years, and have had over 1500 ft lb of torque and 750+ hp. (of course this is a different application than the Lightning). on engines. I just need to work on adjusting the valve body, but I'm giving you this deal to get an L to work on. And since a friend of ours (think goodfellas) refered you, you are the one. After this I charge people for my experience one I have a baseline to start from.

Normally I would laugh this guy off the phone, if I hadn't sen my friends dyno's on his powerstroke (and rode in it) (480 HP, and 750 TQ) and this was in UT (which really sucks for HP due to high altitude).

But Fac tech has a good idea, I will check out that sheet that you posted to see what it is. I'm starting to plan a road trip now. I'll let you all know what I get when I get back. I'll have pre and post dyno numbers.

Cheers.
Ryan

Old 07-27-2002 | 09:34 PM
Good luck on your road trip

Old 07-27-2002 | 09:39 PM
Sounds like a great deal. I'm sure your trans will be in good hands. If he's respectible, he would tell you everything he can do for you. I don't think he would make you drive such a long way to turn your slushbox into a-a well slushbox! If you go, good luck!
J-mart

Quick Reply: Tranny problems anyone? I've got someone offering me a next to free rebuild.