Lightning

Update!!!Long

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2002 | 03:22 PM
|
Thumbs up Update!!!Long

Well the piston is out!!Ford called and said they did not have any assm. in the system so that left me wondering.Then read the post that Jim @JDM said and all I can say is a very BIG THANK YOU!!!!! Will have one Fri so should be running by the weekend.
As for the failure the piston ring land[top] was detiorated[sp] from the ring side NOT from the top so that tells me that the chip was and is ok[which I figured anyway]I feel that it was caused by heat and the cyl psi.Where it is detearated[sp] is in line with the end gap.also as the ring started bouncing around in the ring groove it colapsed the secound land so that the #2 ring is stuck in the piston.From the top of the piston everything looks fine.
I feel the piston and endgaps were the cause of this plus me staying WOT for the time that I do since each time the cyl fires it acts like a little blow torch as the gasses go by the end gaps just not to the exstant[sp] and the time that I have my foot in it.
So to remedie this problem in my case is to use ZGR rings in my new short block that is going to get built.Stan
And thanks Again JIM.
So all I need now is for UPS to show up and I am on the road again.

Last edited by Ruslow; 07-25-2002 at 03:24 PM.
Old 07-25-2002 | 03:39 PM
Stan can you shoot me some info on ZGR rings? Bennefits, where to get, etc?

Old 07-25-2002 | 04:09 PM
What about the gapless rings?

Old 07-25-2002 | 07:52 PM
|
For my application they are the tit$!No end gaps so the psi and flame or combustion process stay in the combustion camber and can't go past the rings so by doing that the top of the piston is taking the heat where the mass of the weight and heat sink is and not the ring lands.The rings will get hot but they give their heat up to the ring lands.
Have used them on other apps and loved them.No leak down when installed rite and 0 blowby.Have played with ring configurations too on other motors and found a few secrets to make them work better.Only thing that I don't like is there is no option on ring size and can only get a standard tension oil ring.which for street use is fine but for me, added to internal friction since I see no vacum in the motor for 40 mins and 8plus pounds of boost for that time.Stan

Quick Reply: Update!!!Long