Lightning

Calling Beefcake.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2002 | 11:54 AM
|
Calling beefcake2002L....

(opps.... I didn't know there was multiple beefcakes, sorry)

beefcake2002L:
I have a few questions for you if you don't mind...

You seem to know a lot about car audio I noticed you have the powered thunderform. My question... How do the subs in the powered version compare to the 6000s in the non powered? And how would it sound compared to the non powered w/momo amp (250X1 @ 4ohms). And would the difference be worth the hassle of installing an amp?

Thanks

Last edited by black2k1; 07-26-2002 at 12:11 PM.
Old 07-26-2002 | 01:03 PM
Banned
Sorry this isnt related but i am looking at this MTX box myself and I want to get one without speakers? Do you know where I can order one that is unloaded? Thanks

Old 07-26-2002 | 01:29 PM
Email me......I'll see what I can do for you on a unloaded one, make sure you tell me where you live. thanks...................OmahaSpeed@aol.com

Last edited by HuskerF150; 07-26-2002 at 01:42 PM.
Old 07-26-2002 | 01:39 PM
The amplified enclosure features a .7 ohm Long Excursion Voice coil..... this way it takes full advantage of the efficiency of the Class D amplifier design..........which is 100 watts.

It really all boils down to a cost issue............but the amped one does sound good but it only has a 1 year warranty, where the loaded one has a 2yr warranty, other than the voice coil, there is no difference.

Keep in mind, you can take a "loaded" one and then go buy a 300/400 watt amp and just about have the same sound/spl.

Last edited by HuskerF150; 07-26-2002 at 01:43 PM.
Old 07-26-2002 | 05:01 PM
It's a matter of opinion...

THe amped Thunderform performs very nice for the price. I'm wasn't looking to make this a competition truck, just add some nice low end easily and quickly... I prefer to hear the engine over the radio most of the time.

Anyhow, the amp loaded box comes witha 100 watt amp... but it's a high current amp and the subs are .7ohms... that's practically no resistance... the systems sounds very good... I would say that the amped system sounds a little better than the plain loaded system with the MTX subs in it. The amp in the amped system was designed just for those subs, and they work great together, not to mention they give you the most compact stock look.

a loaded box with an external amp will sound just fine also, but you need to find a place to put the amp... if you are trying to show it off, then you can put it anywhere. If you are trying to keep things tamed down, it's hard to find a hiding space in the L...

My system in my L is just an upgrade... nothing major... I spent over 15k on my tahoe's sound system... that was for competition however...

You can also get an empty thunderform, but the trick is trying to match a sub's enclosure space requirements with the thunderform box. I don't know off hand how many cubic feet the thunderform is...

I hope this helped... if you have specific questions, let me know...

I'm not an expert, just know what I like and want.

Old 07-27-2002 | 12:04 PM
|
Thanks for all your help.

Old 07-27-2002 | 09:29 PM
|
Beefcake:
I have a few more questions..
First, please give me a quick break down of what it takes to install the thunderform. What did you do with the disk changer? And are the subs black or silver?

Also, do to money the best I can do for speakers is $100 a pair. There are 3 6x8 polks on crutchfeild.com for that price. At this point I am leaning towards the "Polk EX368" but only b/c they are the most expensive. I have no idea if this is the right call so if you can point me in the right direction for $100 a pair I would appreciate it. Or is it even worth upgrading at that price? Also, any idea how much power the stock head unit pumps out to these?

Plus any misc. tips to help me get through all this as painless as possible.

Thanks a lot, you have been very helpful.

Quick Reply: Calling Beefcake.....