Lightning

Loss of Power at 120 MPH

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2002, 07:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Loss of Power at 120 MPH

This morning I thought I'd open it up a bit. Been around 3500 miles since the new long block was installed. Put Mobil 1 in a few hundred miles back. Anyhow....Ambient was aroundmid 70's.
I was running about 95 octane gas. I flip the chip to High Speed mode, timing is retarded, right at 120 I loose ground. OK I thought maybe it just pulled a bunch of timing right then....So..I flippped it back to hot street and the same event at same speed...
Funny thing is this is about the speed where the last block ate the 2 electrodes and rings on the passenger head side...I gave it a pretty good once over visually looking for any unconnected plug..hoses etc. Found nothing except the boost plug that I unhooked. Runs fine otherwise....
Guess I'll change the fuel filter tomorrow. It's been about 15000 since last change. Temperatures and oil pressure...boost all seemed well with in normal operating parameters.
I was SO Goddam worried that it had major problems..and to tell you the truth I still am. I took my time with the new long block and never pushed this hard since installation.
What could cause such a drastic drop off in power without setting a code...the chip should allow for the codes to indicate
major problems. With the 3# pulley, chip and conical intake..160 stat...redline watter wetter....I never heard any pinging or detonation.
Any Ideas Guys..I don`t want to melt this block down just yet....

Thanks..Jeff

Last edited by Twisted99; 07-28-2002 at 07:38 PM.
Old 07-28-2002, 07:24 PM
Sorry to hear that... hopefully its nothing major.

Old 07-28-2002, 07:48 PM
Maybe it's the tune on your chip. On my hot side of mine JDM told me to not go above 120mph on that side because of fuel issues.

Old 07-28-2002, 08:25 PM
Probalbly went lean thats what caused the electrode problem.I also don't think that you are to change the clip while the motor is running?When you say hot street for what type of driving?If it is more aggressive towards the 1/4 mile type you are about .5 to lean on that side to do that type of high speed sustained event.
I have JDM tune mine for that stuff and have had no problems with them since, IF it takes me 4 miles to get to 150 or 160 I still have to FINISH the 90 plus miles at my average of 140 to 145.But if yours is tuned for the track I hope everything is ok.Stan

Old 07-28-2002, 08:35 PM
A clogged/dirty fuel filter can cause high-speed(WOT, or almost WOT) problems. Back in 1964(I know, I'm an ol' fart!) my 1 year old Corvair Spyder(turbocharged from GM's factory) just shut down at a WOT pass on US1 between Key West and Marathon, Florida. The fuel filter(about as 'big'[not] as our Ls) was almost completely clogged. At less than WOT, a dirty filter can pass enough fuel for the eng. to run OK but almost clogged, it can't. The eng. needs all of the fuel the system can allow at high speeds.

Having said all that, it's probably chip-related .

Dan

Old 07-28-2002, 08:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jeff, what rpm does this occur at? Since you wanted a nice high mph program, I set it up with little timing and lots of fuel. but most of the paramters are rpm based, so giving me an rpm would help me see if it's something in your program.

Old 07-28-2002, 08:50 PM
Sal

I'll let you know tomorrow. We did talk about being ok to flip the chip while running down the road , right?

I can't believe this much power loss is chip related. Just how much horsepower will these stock fuel pumps support?

Would the chip not set the check engine lite ? I know if the breakout box is put on with it in place it's a Ranger six cylinder...grin

But I really need all eight.

Thanks for replyin` Sal...I appreciate it.

Old 07-28-2002, 08:53 PM
LIGHTNINROD ...Ruslow

Man you are old as dirt...I`m 46.....and I'm old as ...wel not old as you......thanks for the advice.

Ruslow...Sal took out timing and added fuel..when I say wide open...I don`t sustain it for more than enough to peg the 140 speedo..and then it has about 800-1000 RPM left...I watch it pull towards redline but have yet to get within several hundred RPM....Nothing like how you run ...I would enjoy tryin' your type of fun....Sal said it was ok to switch his chip while running......He set up a high speed side..and the other is hot street....I run the hot street all the time...I had one with the stock parameters but found I could never force myself to flip it to that side....I really don`t push this truck like I did with My 99....the big difference from that truck to this truck is I ran just the cats and no muffler.....But then I never had a pulley on it...just chipped and conical filter. I do have the FT valve body in this one..and run a magnaflow x over muffler. Also put in the 160 Hypertech stat..sal was aware of that and had dyno graphs along with A/F ratio's
As for it going lean....with the electrodes ate off the Denso's and the pitting around the thread taps on the last long block...I'm wondering if it is something I'm missing. I did have some hotter octane in..I mixed up some toluene..about 10%..of a 25 gallons tank..........Thanks for the input....Jeff

Last edited by Twisted99; 07-28-2002 at 09:09 PM.
Old 07-28-2002, 09:57 PM
Well you are close in what I meant.From my understanding of chips[somewhat limited.The majority of them go open loop at wot or very near it.BUT if you let off alittle say on the tps volts to around 4.6v then it goes back to full controll.And you go to 14.7 which is what causes the lean.Mine stays open loop down to less than 4.00 volts so chance of that happening are far less when I get to cruising speed.
Which cyls were they?Stan

Old 07-28-2002, 10:00 PM
I'm the king of power loss ..I think it could be your fuel filter..I was on the hwy once and a GMC C3 pickup came up on me for a try..Well we both romped on it and we got up to 120 and my truck wouldn't go no more and the GMC was right next to me..I was very embarassed that i couldn't pull away from him..My downshift to WOT felt very sloppy and restrivetive also. I went to Ford to have my Fuel filter changed, road around for a few miles and on the way home punched it. No more limiting at 120, before I let out of the Gas I saw 140... So Fuel filter plays a big role..

BTW.. this was done on an empty country interstate so the only victims would have been deer, possums, squirrels, ants, things of that nature

Old 07-28-2002, 10:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Actually, WOT on the Gen 2s is from 2.92 volts and up. That's about a little over half throttle and up. If you were at WOT and let off a tad, you'd still be working off WOT portions of the code.

Old 07-28-2002, 10:26 PM
Guys...

I'm a Nervorse reck....

I'm leaning towards the fuel filter...I have about 36500 on the truck and only about 3500 on the long block..I changed the filter once...I'm sure Ford didn't....They did however run through the computer with the truck back to stock. and noted no fuel related problem..or any other...But I do remember them pulling a right rear 02 sensor and replacing that set a check engine lite after they pulled the first head and installed the gasket.....

Ruslow,
The passenger side head was leaking so they installed a gasket set....I babied it around town and first day I get out early for work hammer it...the power fell off at 130...droppped back down to legal speeds and lite throttle gave ragged ...vibration......lost the two inboard cylinders on the passenger side head...rings also..electrodes ate off the denso's like I said...I figured they torqued down the head wrong...but then after they pulled the engine they said it was around 3 thousanths out on that side deck..anyway..deja` vu and all that...

Old 07-28-2002, 11:02 PM
Did you make sure overdrive wasn't off?

Old 07-28-2002, 11:40 PM
Good point pawn..I believe it was..uh..on.

Last edited by Twisted99; 07-28-2002 at 11:43 PM.
Old 07-29-2002, 08:18 PM
Changed the fuel filter today...flowed back a murky looking liquid..
Did`nt change a thing on the 120 MPH and 3800-4000 rpm in Overdrive...it pulls like hell to redline in third...shifts and revs fall back...start building to 120 mph and near 4000 rpm..and looses momentum....

Quick Reply: Loss of Power at 120 MPH