Lightning

procharged 6banger stang vs. lightning?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2002 | 08:13 PM
|
procharged 6banger stang vs. lightning?

Hey guys, my friend has an 02 v-6 auto stang and he has a chip, 4.10 gears and a pulley...he just bought this http://upload.can.com/procharger%202.jpg
He said it runs 11 lbs of boost. Will he beat a stock 2001 2002 L with this? let me know your inputs, he said it will be pushing 350hp??

Old 07-28-2002 | 08:18 PM
Most of the ProCharged V6 Stangs turn about 290ish unless you have other parts to compliment it. I don't think he's going to see 350rwhp without a cam, heads, and a good tune. Either way, given the cars weight, even with 300rwhp it should run mid 13s I'd think.

Old 07-28-2002 | 08:35 PM
|
anyone else?

Old 07-28-2002 | 11:13 PM
Im not sure you really need anyone elses opinion on this matter. I would say if you want to race him, make sure you have the necesarry mods. Chip, pulley, filter kit, valve body. You shouldn't have a problem at that point. But im sure others will chime in. Just my .02

Old 07-29-2002 | 12:23 AM
I think you can take him, it may be close but with a good launch you should beat him. If you do any of the mods listed above it would that much more fun, good luck with the race and keep us posted about the results.

Old 07-29-2002 | 06:22 AM
GO FOT IT!

Old 07-29-2002 | 08:03 AM
Banned
You will mop him. Torque always wins.

6PSI is nothing in a V6 with its crappy heads and weak tranny.

Old 07-29-2002 | 08:41 AM
Originally posted by Flying ****
You will mop him. Torque always wins.

6PSI is nothing in a V6 with its crappy heads and weak tranny.
I second that!!!!

Old 07-29-2002 | 12:39 PM
BOTH WORLDS

I can vouch for both parts of the spectrum here...
Originally, I was one of the first few to break new grounds with the Lightnings, roughly a year before most others, and I guess you could say I paved the way for many and their goals......

For the V6 Stang. I have to disagree with the LTuner. It is possible to achieve those numbers without P&P work to the heads.
Remember...99+, they have split port heads, nothing like earlier models, not even close. So those that think a "weak6" is nothing to worry about, LOL..you guys have no clue Yes..only 6 psi is nothing to brag about, and I would know running well into the 11's with my former L, but overall, the potential is serious if you know what to do.
With a procharger "Tuner Kit" just over 11 psi, and a custom tuned chip I am seeing just over 315 RWHP. No porting or cam as of yet, but the car is currently dissasembled, and waiting for the return of the heads.
With 42 lb injectors, and a L MAF (Thanks RTKILLA), on a stock motor @ 3100 lbs, running MT ET Street's 26x11.5x16, I have run a best of 12.72 @ 108 mph, backing that up with a 12.75 @ 107 hot=lapping it at Cecil, like I always liked doing.
Only mods to the car, is the Mac Long tubes, and a custom dual side exit exhaust system. Freeing up the exhaust on the V6 is considered a must, especially with a blower...IMO. If you could run without cats, do it!! It may sound a little strange depending ont he muffler choice, but the power difference is there.

Oh...and the tranny guys, is no different that the V8's guys.

As for beating a stock L, I say yes, yes he could. But Mod that L, and theres trouble.

Dont get me wrong, I love L's, and miss mine more that most know, but this little car is filling the void nicely while I wait for the Gen III's to come along in a couple of years. And then the real fun will return !!
Till then, I am planning on building this sucker to the max!! Im looking for 11's out of her, and I will not stop til' I reach that goal.
*****..there's 2 turbo 6 Stangs that I know of already in the mid-high 11's, and maybe a few more.

Back to my corner...I tend to talk too much, and some get a little intimidated when I do.

Old 07-29-2002 | 12:46 PM
Cool beans Spiro, nice numbers for sure. I was under the impression you already did the heads and cam with your hp number, that's why I said what I did. That baby is gonna fly big time with the new hardware .

Old 07-29-2002 | 12:57 PM
DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had no idea the V6's had that much potential in 'em...........don't see too many around, that's for sure......I wasn't even aware that they had a SC for it..........Do you guys think that this potential is only for the 99-up V6's, or do the 94 - 98 V6 Stangs have any hope......My GF has a '98 V6, is why I ask.

Spiro, I thought you were gonna throw some "NAWWS" in there too? Still planning on that.......WOOHOO, that'll be a rush in that V6......SC and a bottle, ouch!!

thx,
JC

Old 07-29-2002 | 02:10 PM
Sal,
Thats what I thought you were figuring. I have had the cam now for months, but not worth doing unless I knew the head guy was ready to go, and thankfully he is
He's promising great numbers from the heads, and were looking to go with more boost, ~15 or so....we'll see, I am looking forward to Cecil in the Fall Ahh...cool air, and a blown6

JC,

Man...the 94-98 Stangs are 50HP shy of what they have now with the 99+, it's a BIG DIFFERENCE! After selling the L, I jumped on the X-plan with 0% financing, and walked away with a 2001 Silver Stang for just under 16K, loaded, and of course TAX-FREE in DE
As for the NX kit from the L, its still here, and the tank is in the trunk, who knows....Im stupid enough run a dual power adder, I've done it before, and I'll probably do it again..LOL
But the motor probably wont hold together. with the cam specs, and the heads, were looking at spinning this motor to 6200.But, I DO NOT recommend that without different springs, and custom retainers, and hardened pushrods as well.

Trust me, there are very limited companies out there that do "good work" on the 6's, just finding the right one will make the difference.

BTW...I forgot to add that I also have 3.73's installed, and a Motorsport T-Loc unit. The stock diff will only hinder track performance, but could provide a rather amusing "ONE WHEEL BURNOUT".
These tiny little 7.5 rears are the weakest link in the whole package. But that could always be upgraded to a 8.8 as a direct swap. Until then, the lighter 7.5 is the way to go, but watch those hard launches using a stick.

THE GREEK

Old 07-29-2002 | 02:59 PM
Banned
Umm, by the time an idiot with a V6 decided to drop $15K into his engine to make the same power a V8 could, he would be the laughing stock of the nearest speed/machine shop.

Ive ran into 2 people with V6 stangs who have forced inducted them.

Those V6's will NOT hold up to 6PSI of boost for very long. The first guy i knew managed 5000 miles before he went Kaboom. The second guy got 11,000 miles.

They sound completely lame for one. Worse then a V10 Powerered Viper. Second, the engine makes soooo much damn noise from piston slap, you think its going to explode.

Despite the split port design on the head, it still sucks. Even with custom cams, it still useless. Dont forget the $1500 to upgrade that POS tranny and the other $800 for a beefed 8.8 in the rear.

I really dont know what it is with people wanting to hot rod a Mustang V6. For 1/2 the money you will get a 700 HP 4.6 out of it.

Last time i looked, there is no forged kit for a V6 either.

11PSI in a V6 = Killer Kaboom. Please video it.

Old 07-29-2002 | 03:05 PM
Spiro, could you shoot me an e-mail? I've got some questions for your about a 99 V6 5spd.

I can attest to the potential of the late modle v6's... I have worked one two of them and driven one. I must say I was impressed. The potential is there, you just have to know how to tap it.

Old 07-29-2002 | 03:27 PM

Originally posted by Flying ****
Umm, by the time an idiot with a V6 decided to drop $15K into his engine to make the same power a V8 could, he would be the laughing stock of the nearest speed/machine shop.

Ive ran into 2 people with V6 stangs who have forced inducted them.

Those V6's will NOT hold up to 6PSI of boost for very long. The first guy i knew managed 5000 miles before he went Kaboom. The second guy got 11,000 miles.

They sound completely lame for one. Worse then a V10 Powerered Viper. Second, the engine makes soooo much damn noise from piston slap, you think its going to explode.

Despite the split port design on the head, it still sucks. Even with custom cams, it still useless. Dont forget the $1500 to upgrade that POS tranny and the other $800 for a beefed 8.8 in the rear.

I really dont know what it is with people wanting to hot rod a Mustang V6. For 1/2 the money you will get a 700 HP 4.6 out of it.

Last time i looked, there is no forged kit for a V6 either.

11PSI in a V6 = Killer Kaboom. Please video it.
First off...It takes one to know one...

Wow..and you made it through High school with that attitude?? I really dont understand why your so negative on the 6's unless they slightly intimidate you.

Listen..I have no reason to sit hear and defend this to you, but for you to pass on negative info is WRONG!! 15K for a motor?? 800 for a rear??? I bet the shwag weed your smokin' cost you a couple of G's...LOL
BTW...there are forged pieces out there, if you know where to look, and what to look for.
What do you base your info on that v6 dont hold the power?? or are you simply talking from your a@s on that? Is it that hard to believe the capabilites of a v6...REMEMBER the GN's??
Where do you get 11Psi and kaboom, I would like to see these facts you talk of, and Im sure many others will as well.
I think people with an attitude like this, are more the idiot...as you so kindly put it!!

So what if I, or many others want to explore and break new grounds, if it helps others with their 6's, then thats fine enough for me! So what If I want to spend a little more than the "average Joe" building a 4.6.

Just so you know, the 4.6 dont make that much more power as compared to the 6's, they do have more torque, but the 6's weight is overall less than that of a V8. And there's always a 4.2, and even a 4.6 stroker for the 3.8's....
Learn anything yet??

Procharger has had great sucess with plenty of boost, and the kits have been out for close to a year now, so your info is very misleading, with nothing backing it up ****
Either way, I had to reply to this guy...

MURPHY'S LAW
-Never argue with a fool, because sometimes people cant tell the difference

Tommy,
You'll have mail in a few minutes

Quick Reply: procharged 6banger stang vs. lightning?