Lightning

Advice Needed on Engine problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2002, 06:57 PM
FuB
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice Needed on Engine problem

Started the truck up and heard a little ticking noise in the engine, poped the hood and got close and sounds like air squezzing out somewhere, when I rev the engine it gets faster and my dad thinks that it could be either the lifters under the valve cover or there could be a leak in the exhaust headers conecting to the manafolds. I think that this is pretty weird because this happened just after the waranty expired. Anyway, just wondering If anyone out there has had a prolem the same or similar to this.

Mike

Old 07-29-2002, 07:03 PM
Hmmm I just went outside and listened to my engine... Its got a little tick to it too. I hope its nothing to worry about. Anyone?

-Mike

Old 07-29-2002, 07:12 PM
I have heard that right before you blow a plug it sounds like an exhaust leak. But the injectors are very loud also. can you hear it in the cab or only with hood up?

Old 07-29-2002, 07:17 PM
FuB
oh yeah u hear it inside, outside, hood up, hood down, idle, half throtle, just about anytime except when the engine is off. But Im leaning toward exhaust leek, souds like it if I get up close but could be either fuel injector or valve spring.

Old 07-29-2002, 07:18 PM
The ticking in mine is only heard when I have the hood up, and in front of the engine. Can't hear it at all inside the cab....

Old 07-29-2002, 07:22 PM
FuB
Try revin it a little inside the cab i can't hear it either in the cab but when i rev it a little i can surely hear it.

Old 07-29-2002, 07:24 PM
Our engs. don't have lifters. You can hear a light ticking sound which is the injectors--normal.

IMHO, you have a plug about ready to blow out of the head. You don't want that to happen. It will ruin the head. There are only 4-5 threads holding the plugs in--in an aluminum head--soft metal. Don't drive it above a small throttle opening--don't go into BOOST until you or someone checks the plugs for tightness. In fact, I wouldn't drive it at all until they are checked. They should be run down snug and then just 1/16th of a turn more.

Dan

Old 07-29-2002, 07:28 PM
FuB
wow thanks that sound about right Ill let you guys know If I know anymore about whats goin on.

Old 07-29-2002, 09:00 PM
Phew! Heheh, was a little worried for a sec. Good thing its nothing to worry about.

-Mike

Old 07-29-2002, 10:46 PM
Talking

lightninrod, actually the lightning engines do have lifters, and that ticking noise you hear could be a lifter, could be a burned exhaust valve, or just a small exhaust leak, but a small exhaust leak would generaly go away after the engine is warmed up. Does the noise change with engine temp? Does the noise increase with engine rpm, does it get louder with engien rpm or does it stay at the same loudness? If it is a plug starting to come out of the head yoiu would be able to feel it by putting your finger on top of the coils, check each one while the engine is running, you will feel it at the same time that you hear it. Generaly there is no noise before the plug blows out. You can also take a piece of say 1/4" vaccuum line about 3 feet long and put it up to your ear, and move the other end around where you think the noise is coming from until you can pinpoint the noise. Just my 2 cents.

Old 07-30-2002, 12:39 AM
FuB
No, it doesn't get louder while reving it, but the clicking/ticking sound goes a lot faster and the more engine noise almost drains the noise out. So you can really hear it unless its ideling our going under... Id say around 30mph. I've pinpointed it to the passanger side so I'll try takin that valve cover off and check it out. Oh yeah and I did do a little looking into about the lifter thing and they aren't called lifters... they are some other name but relitivly do the same exact thing.

Old 07-30-2002, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by svt_sc_f150
Generaly there is no noise before the plug blows out.
I heard a ticking right before mine blew...

Old 07-30-2002, 12:50 AM
FuB
Well this ticking/clickin has been goin on for a while, tryin to drive as little as possible until we get replacement car fixed. So Im guessing its not the plug because its been goin on for sometime, right?

Old 07-30-2002, 02:08 AM
what about piston slap?

Old 07-30-2002, 07:56 AM
Here is an earlier thread.....sound familiar?

http://198.65.157.241/forums/showthr...hlight=lifters

Dan

Quick Reply: Advice Needed on Engine problem