Lightning

Lightnings are loosing their resale value

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2002 | 03:48 PM
Portsmouth Ford has them for sale brande new for $29,495

Thats what I paod for X plan.........This time of year,They blow them out.

Old 07-31-2002 | 11:43 AM
Re: Re: Lightnings are loosing their resale value

Originally posted by Silver_2000_!

Funny in one paragraph you contradict yourself. You know people that are paying 4-6 grand less than wholesale AND you know people that are buying then for almost new retail.

What that means is that the market near you is screwy, or one of them is lying or one of them got lucky.

The Trucks are worth what someone is willing to pay. The prices you get from Dealers are the prices they are willing to pay INSTANTLY. That number is not always the best number. If you want BEST $$$ for your Truck ( or anything else) Plan to market the hell out of it and hold as long as it takes to find a buyer at that price....

Doug
I was thinking the same thing. The dealer buys them as cheap as they can at the auction and then mark them way up and rape people on the price saying the ARE rare and all the other BS they say. And people wonder why we all hate car dealers........

Old 07-31-2002 | 12:49 PM
It's Ford's finance incentives that are killing resale on ALL vehicles...

It's all smoke and mirrors. Ford shows 0%, 1.9%, 2.9% whatever...the dealer then turns around and offers you $4,000 less than what they would typically give you on the trade, because they can- citing "resale" value woes because the market is flooded, etc...

Basically, the fact that you have to roll that excess money into your new vehicle totally ERASES the benefit of the lowered finance rates...but guess who comes out ahead? The dealer. He can then turn right back around and ask $7000 more than what he gave you, and then even if he comes down 3 grand (which by the way, looks like a smoking deal to a buyer, of course) he still makes an astounding $4,000 on the sale.

I went thru this the last time Ford did this, went in the first day, tentatively worked a deal on a 2001 HD. Was going to be no problem, because they were doing me OK with the trade. Two weeks later, once they finally had the truck at their dealership, all of a sudden, my 99 L was worth $4,500 less than it was two weeks prior.

Needless to say, I didn't purchase. Glad I didn't now anyway.

Dealerships suck. ALL dealerships. It's a case of who's gonna bend over who...but typically, they ALWAYS come out on top

Chris

Old 07-31-2002 | 09:22 PM
I am a licensed dealer in Florida, I've seen several used L's at the auctions and the 01s are going for 23 to 25 K, 00 L's are going for around 21 to 23 K, for some reason it kinda makes me sad to see all these homeless Lightnings at the auctions, makes me wonder why there not loved anymore, what they were traded in on. Anyhow there only worth what someone is willing to pay for them.

Old 07-31-2002 | 09:58 PM
Well I paid what I paid.....If someone who has the desire for one and can't come up with the price for a new one...hell it's a great chance for them..I buy mine to drive...enjoy...Some polish and profile..I do a lil of each....But I love the whine and the exhaust and the torque...and the fact it's a Truck. If you feel Lightning loose their value to soon or often or whatever..buy a used one.
I would bet lots of these trucks are bought by people who really can' t or don't appreciate them like we do.....Just imagine the dip****s out there who have money and no brains...Me I have brains and No money...what's a guy to do. I thought they were being socked away in garages underneath tarps and haybales for the day when Highway to Hell was the national anthem...

And that Nasty *** skull grill was mandatory.

Old 07-31-2002 | 11:28 PM
My local dealer in Huntington Beach has had several new L's on his lot for weeks. He also had several new Harleys. None are moving real fast. These trucks are not the hot item they used to be, hence a lower price. I have seen another dealer offering Harleys for 4, 000 off sticker. Apparently used L's are an even tougher sell. That's the real world market! Not an issue if like me you are not selling. I plan on driving mine till the wheels come off!

Old 07-31-2002 | 11:43 PM
In Arizona they can't keep the Lightnings on the lots. I'm getting ready to put my '01 on Ebay or the Auto Trader and went to check with my buddy (BADBOLT2) who is a finance manager at a local Ford dealer. One of, if not the biggest in the Phoenix area. They have ZERO new Lightnings because they've all sold soon after they get them.
I'm looking to buy an older Explorer Sport. They had one similar to what i want but not quite. Long story short, they'll sell it at wholesale book (or any vehicle i want on the used lot) AND give me $27,000 for my '01 with 9600 miles on it (and that's after I take off $2000 in mods and $1000 plus in stereo equipment). Funny thing is I put it for sale here in the Classifieds a couple days ago for $26,900 WITH ALL THE GOODIES STILL ON IT!!!! So if/when they find me the vehicle I want, I may have some parts to sell.

Anyway, L's are NOT loosing value here in AZ. We get to drive them year around with no potholes in the road!!!!!!

Old 08-02-2002 | 07:53 PM
Deep6blue, that dealer is Sheehy Ford in Gaithersburg, MD. They get a new Lightning in every now or then, and they disappear after a few weeks or so, maybe longer. I have not seen one on their used car lot in many months.

Also, around here in the Maryland area north of Washington DC., I practically never see another Lightning on the road. And, I work near Sheehy.

I see tons of pick-ups of every description every day, but virtually no Lightnings.

Quick Reply: Lightnings are loosing their resale value