Lightning

Lightnings are loosing their resale value

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2002, 12:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightnings are loosing their resale value

I use to sell cars full time. Now I am working in our family ownwd business. This weekend I was called to help out in a big tent sale at the University. I met the used car manager for a huge chain of Ford dealerships. He said that he has been buying used )! lightning's at the auction for about 4 -6 grand back of wholesale blue book. I was really shocked when he told me that because I thought our trucks were holding their value better. Realistically though, I think that on the street people are willing to pay close to retail on used lightnings. A person that I know works for an SVT dealer and he said he has sold several used 00 lifhtning's for around 30 K

Later

Old 07-30-2002, 02:12 AM
The reason our L's are losing resale value is because Ford is flodding the market with them, they are becoming less and less rare. I bought my 01 at the end of the 01 sales year from a dealership for under list, without any plan. I had planned on a used one, but new ones are easy to find. Just my opinion.

Old 07-30-2002, 05:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
used 00's for 30K, whats he smoking

Old 07-30-2002, 07:23 AM
This is a trend for all cars, with the current economic condition. And the constant barrage of 0% on new cars and such.

Old 07-30-2002, 08:59 AM
I agree

Originally posted by ally69
This is a trend for all cars, with the current economic condition. And the constant barrage of 0% on new cars and such.
Let me see... new L at 60 mos financing at 0% interest or used, dragged and possibly ragged out L for a few thousand less and bank financing.. hmmmmm decisions decisions...

When I went to trade in my car on the L, what they offered me was so insulting I could hardly see straight...
Dana

Old 07-30-2002, 09:34 AM
Re: Lightnings are loosing their resale value

Originally posted by brasil
I use to sell cars full time. Now I am working in our family owned business. This weekend I was called to help out in a big tent sale at the University. I met the used car manager for a huge chain of Ford dealerships. He said that he has been buying used )! lightning's at the auction for about 4 -6 grand back of wholesale blue book. I was really shocked when he told me that because I thought our trucks were holding their value better. Realistically though, I think that on the street people are willing to pay close to retail on used lightnings. A person that I know works for an SVT dealer and he said he has sold several used 00 lifhtning's for around 30 K

Later
Funny in one paragraph you contradict yourself. You know people that are paying 4-6 grand less than wholesale AND you know people that are buying then for almost new retail.

What that means is that the market near you is screwy, or one of them is lying or one of them got lucky.

The Trucks are worth what someone is willing to pay. The prices you get from Dealers are the prices they are willing to pay INSTANTLY. That number is not always the best number. If you want BEST $$$ for your Truck ( or anything else) Plan to market the hell out of it and hold as long as it takes to find a buyer at that price....

Doug

Old 07-30-2002, 10:30 AM
WHO CARES??

I am not selling mine EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER

LOL

Old 07-30-2002, 12:29 PM
Re: I agree

Originally posted by dboat

new L at 60 mos financing at 0% interest
I dont think you can get a Lightning at 0% for 60 months. I think the current promotion is 2.9% correct?

EDIT:

Just checked out Ford's site and the promotion does not include the lightning. That sucks.

2002 F-150 Build & Price this Vehicle

Schedule a test drive

Locate a Dealer

Model Start - End Cash Back APR Alternative
36/48/60 Months Cash Back & APR
F-Series LD (Ex. F-150 SuperCrew & Lightning) 9-Jul-02 -
14-Aug-02 $2500 or 0.0/1.9/2.9 or $1000 2.9/5.9/6.9

NOT ALL BUYERS WILL QUALIFY. 36 month Ford Credit APR financing at $27.78 per month; 48 month Ford Credit APR financing at $21.65 per month; 60 month Ford Credit APR financing at $17.92 per month per $1000 financed with 10% down OR $2500 cash back with standard APR rates. Take new retail delivery from dealer stock by 8/14/2002. See dealer for residency requirements and complete details.

Model Start - End Cash Back
F-150 (Ex. F-150 SuperCrew & Lightning) 9-Jul-02 -
14-Aug-02 $2500

Take new retail delivery from dealer stock by 8/14/2002. See dealer for residency requirements and complete details.

The incentives listed on this site were correct at the time they were posted.
Your local Ford dealer is the best source for up-to-date incentive information.

Last edited by SCC2000L; 07-30-2002 at 12:33 PM.
Old 07-30-2002, 12:39 PM
I disagree with the statement that the L is losing it's value.

My Lightning (a '99) sold for $4,000 more than I paid for it.

Perhaps I just got lucky.

--WrongdayJ

Old 07-30-2002, 01:27 PM
I get the impression from comments on this forum that the demand for Lightnings is regional. Apparently California and Texas are hot markets.

Here is Maryland, the nearby SVT Dealer last year must have had at least eight or more Lightnings on their lot at any one time. Eventually, what remained was transported away one day. At least six of them on one trailer alone.

I assumed they were not selling well in this area. Lightning sometimes sit on their lot for months. Could be they are asking too much and are not willing to deal. However, the same dealer gave me a decent deal on mine in 1999.

Old 07-30-2002, 01:43 PM
Boston Area

The Boston Area is getting flooded with Lightnings. It's kinda sad but kinda good. Sad because they're less rare. I almost see one every other day now. But why should someone else not have one if they want one. We can't have all the fun!!!

Old 07-30-2002, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by DEIMATT
WHO CARES??

I am not selling mine EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER

LOL
you can say that one.

Old 07-30-2002, 01:53 PM
I'd lose if I sold mine, I paid $1k over sticker for it.

Daniel

Old 07-30-2002, 01:54 PM
Redlite, did you got yours from Crystal Ford?

Old 07-30-2002, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by redlite
I get the impression from comments on this forum that the demand for Lightnings is regional. Apparently California and Texas are hot markets.

Here is Maryland, the nearby SVT Dealer last year must have had at least eight or more Lightnings on their lot at any one time. Eventually, what remained was transported away one day. At least six of them on one trailer alone.

I assumed they were not selling well in this area. Lightning sometimes sit on their lot for months. Could be they are asking too much and are not willing to deal. However, the same dealer gave me a decent deal on mine in 1999.
Thats wierd. Here in Columbia,MD like 30 min. from you, the Lightnings usually do not last more than a couple weeks on the lot. Apple Ford in particular. 1 week they had 4 of them (2 true blues) I went back 1 week later to take another look at the true blue and they were all gone.

I do not think the resale value is getting lower, yet that is. At a Saturn dealership they had a 99' Red L with 35k miles for $28500. It sold. Just depends on what people are willing to spend.

Quick Reply: Lightnings are loosing their resale value