Lightning

Virus Alert

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2002 | 11:41 AM
Doug, thats probably it. i have windows xp, and the infected files are all : Win/Alienware.xxx

thanks for the links

Old 07-31-2002 | 12:08 PM
download

I tried twice to download that protection software and both times my computer locked up and did not allow it to enter the system.

Demons at work?

Old 07-31-2002 | 02:06 PM
Here is another tool to remove KLEZ, fire your machine in safe mode and run. It’s free.

If you have mapped drives turn on one machine at a time starting with the server and run.

http://securityresponse.symantec.com...oval.tool.html

Old 07-31-2002 | 02:54 PM
BBQ: If you don't want to deal with all that stuff why not try a Macintosh next time you're in the market for a computer. I use one at work and one at home too. I don't even use virus protection and have never had a virus. There are so few Mac's out there compared to wintell machines not many will bother to write (many) viruses for them. Works for me........

Old 07-31-2002 | 03:48 PM
|
I hope I didn't come off sounding like I was blaming Doug, this morning. He knows far more about computer than I'll ever know
It's just so frustrating not knowing what to do. I opened the file, thinking it was something from Doug, THEN my McAfee caught it. But it was too late. It would not clean and I could not quarantine it. Out of desperation, I used my "Restore Disc" to wipe out my hard drive and started over.
My question to you computer savvy dudes, was this an OK way to go? Am I alright now. I ran the anti-virus and nothing showed up.

Just sign me, Computer Moron 2

Old 07-31-2002 | 05:19 PM
posted earlier

here you go again FREE works as good as norton/Mcafee
go here and get a GOOd FREE antivirus program , i have used it for 2 years and has not let me down yet..

FREE- GOOD ANTIVIRUS

Old 07-31-2002 | 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Fast Gator
It would not clean and I could not quarantine it. Out of desperation, I used my "Restore Disc" to wipe out my hard drive and started over.
Ouch, sorry to here that. Not to **** in someone’s Corn Flakes but McAfee only scans the file attachments after you open the mail. NAV scans attachments as the mail arrives before opening, ya might want to switch. If you download the KLEZ removal tool (above) and run it, it will tell you of any remaining gremlins, good luck…

Old 07-31-2002 | 05:46 PM
Originally posted by QuickBrick

Ouch, sorry to here that. Not to **** in someone’s Corn Flakes but McAfee only scans the file attachments after you open the mail. NAV scans attachments as the mail arrives before opening, ya might want to switch. If you download the KLEZ removal tool (above) and run it, it will tell you of any remaining gremlins, good luck…
As part of my job I have opened dozens of virus attachments. Mcafee stops them from executing. Which means that you dont get infected. It doesnt matter when the file is detected as long as it is BEFORE the file is executed.

The fact that KLEZ cant be cleaned is NOT a reason to format your drive ( sorry Gator ). Just delete the infected file(s) ( or have Mcafee do it ) and move on. Having an infected file or 2 on your PC is different from having an actively infected PC. The difference is that the in the first case the virus "payload" has not been executed and is NOT infecting more files NOR doing the other bad things the virus is known for. If your PC is actively infected it is emailing itself to others and it is trying to spread itself in other ways... The link I posted above gives details of what KLEZ tries to do when it is actively working.

In the case of the commons variants of KLEZ is doesnt format your drive ar anything else REALLY NASTY. If you think you are infected unplug the PC from any network connections and get a good cleaner. Clean the PC, reboot, clean it again and if all is well reconnect the network connections. If you had windows system filesor other application that were infected and were deleted, you may need to restore them but typically you can avoid wiping the drive and starting from scratch.
Good Luck all.
Doug

Old 07-31-2002 | 06:04 PM
Thumbs up

the Klez removal tool that QuickBrick posted, worked for me!!, no more infected files on the scan. thanks for the help!!

Old 08-01-2002 | 02:37 PM

Quick Reply: Virus Alert