Lightning

Virus Alert

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2002 | 06:37 AM
|
Virus Alert

I have been recieving many e-mails from a " Doug@ SVT Lightning". They are loaded with a virus.
I talked to Doug last night ( the REAL Doug from here) and he assured me that IT WAS NOT HIM SENDING this e-mail. ***I knew that Doug wasn't sending out virus's, but maybe he didn't know it was in the e-mail***
Just be aware, I recieved another one this morning

Steve and Doug, I know this is off topic, but it seems that someone is targeting Lightning owners

Old 07-31-2002 | 07:18 AM
free anti-virus..

more than likely Doug's address was in someones pc that got infected , clause virus or one like that or his server/pc got a virus, they are nasty now a days go into your e-mail and send themselves to all addresses in your address book, ..

go here and get a GOOd FREE antivirus program , i have used it for 2 years and has not let me down yet..

avg FREE anti-virus

Old 07-31-2002 | 08:29 AM
The Virus name is KLEZ

It is EVERYWHERE.

Here is some info

KLEZ has the ability to spoof the From: field (often set to an address found on the victim's machine).
It ALSO arrives in one case looking as if it is a KLEZ removal tool when in fact it is the virus itself.

http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_99237.htm"

http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_99455.htm

I get between 5 and 20 emails a day with KLEZ infected attachments. The attachments vary in name and 3 letter extension but they are all about 120-150k in size. I was seeing so many that I got paranoid and wondered if I was infected. I have updated Macafee and have scanned my PC's and they are clean.

Since my email addresses are posted on the internet and therefore are in the internet cache of thousands of people when KLEZ is looking for a real address to use mine is real handy.

A couple weeks ago I had someone tell me they received a virus from Silver_2000@SVTlightnings.com. The ONLY email address I send from is DOUG@SVTlightnings.com. I receive emails sent to silver_2000@SVTlightnings.com BUT I only send from Doug - So this is clearly another example of KLEZ at work.

Last night I received an email warning that a virus was cleaned from an email addressed from TampaSVT@tampabay.rr.com to me- Only problem is the warning didn't come from Road Runner his ISP, it came from postmaster@modus.montrose.net - That means someone using Montrose.net as ISP surfed Tampas website and is infected with KLEZ.

So do yourself a favor and get Antivirus - either free stuff or one of the major names and keep it updated...

No one is Targeting Lightning owners KLEZ is just taking advantage of the fact that we surf the web too much.

Doug

Old 07-31-2002 | 08:38 AM
i got it last week from someone heres email
also ,they have wierd subject names like one was
"garden of eden", and they had 1 minute attachments.
my friends post on chevy boards and there having the same
problems too.
heres the removal tool i used.
http://www.bitdefender.com/html/free_tools.php

Old 07-31-2002 | 08:57 AM
just got another one from tampasvt email
this time.

guys here the title
"meeting notice"
file says effect zip 1 minute

Old 07-31-2002 | 09:33 AM
People!

Get some Anti-virus software. People with out good av software are the idiots that spread these viruses...

I think anyone with out of date virus info should be shot. ISP's should require it to connect!

Old 07-31-2002 | 09:42 AM
F150online
Founder
Echoing much of what has been said so far in this thread...

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...threadid=84879

I have the latest and greatest (DATs included) version of McAfee on my PC and I still get dozens of these messages per day that appear as though they come from "webmaster@f150online.com" See the thread above to find out what that is technically impossible and why Klez sucks so bad.

Old 07-31-2002 | 10:16 AM
The dept where I am on contract at is getting eatin' up with the klez, they just re-wrote my contract to include deploying NAI to combat it. Have I said that it sucks?

Q

Old 07-31-2002 | 10:20 AM
Ugh

I'm garuanteed that virus at least once a day. I've gotten it from Tampa and Doug's address a few times. Numerous other people to. Oh well.

Luckily I only use hotmail and yahoo for my email, and Lotus at work, so they catch 99.999999% of the viruses that come to me. And I AVOID Outlook express as any cost! I'm beginning to think that program was created just to spread viruses.

Get some Anti-virus software. People with out good av software are the idiots that spread these viruses...

I think anyone with out of date virus info should be shot. ISP's should require it to connect!
A little harsh there. I don't run any AV software on home PC currently, and I know I don't spread any viruses. All it takes is some common sense. But judging from what you just said I'm sure we'd both agree fully on what they should do to these annoying yuppies that write the viruses.

Old 07-31-2002 | 11:06 AM
Thumbs down

I got the klez virus on my home "Alienware" computer. i bought an anti virus program, because the alienware system would not let me install the norton av disc, that came with the computer!! i downloaded a couple of free av programs too, but nothing will work to clean up the infected files, in this "foo-foo" computer. it will identify them, but says the av programs are "not allowed "to cleanse the alienware operating files. i deleted all my email info, the first time i rec'd messages about sending infected files, and haven't had any new messages about sending them, but i guess the damage is done. i feel like such a *****, or something

Old 07-31-2002 | 11:14 AM
I've killed people for less! How dare you let a virus touch such a bueatiful machine! That's like letting a female mini-van driver pilot your L for a day! oh the humanity... I'm actually crying to hear about your alienware PC... I have one myself... LOVE IT!

Originally posted by MRBBQMAN
I got the klez virus on my home "Alienware" computer. i bought an anti virus program, because the alienware system would not let me install the norton av disc, that came with the computer!! i downloaded a couple of free av programs too, but nothing will work to clean up the infected files, in this "foo-foo" computer. it will identify them, but says the av programs are "not allowed "to cleanse the alienware operating files. i deleted all my email info, the first time i rec'd messages about sending infected files, and haven't had any new messages about sending them, but i guess the damage is done. i feel like such a *****, or something

Old 07-31-2002 | 11:16 AM
beef, since i'm a computer moron , and your not. why would alienware prevent me from installing av software ?

Old 07-31-2002 | 11:21 AM
That's a good question... without more info it's hard to say.

What was the actual message that came up? The message is the key to this issue. Perhaps if you can get me that I can offier further assistance... throw me a frickin bone here; need the info, I',m the boss.

I had no problems with my NAV that came with...

PS - you can't be a total "computer moron"... your a member on this site... that makes you better than 99% of the world's population automatically!

Old 07-31-2002 | 11:33 AM
i'll have to check them again when i get home. i get "THIRTY " alerts, everytime i touch the damn thing. i might try Trashguys fix "bitdefender" to see if it might work.
thanks

Old 07-31-2002 | 11:35 AM
Originally posted by MRBBQMAN
beef, since i'm a computer moron , and your not. why would alienware prevent me from installing av software ?
BBQ - Recent versions of windows have " Windows System File protection" built in. Alien has likely just injected thier name into the windows process.

See if these links help. I know there is a way to turn it off temporarily

http://www.microsoft.com/hwdev/driver/sfp/wfp.asp

http://www.techspot.com/tweaks/wfp/index.shtml

Doug

Quick Reply: Virus Alert