Lightning

Anybody using stock plugs with a 6 lb Pully

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2002 | 07:27 PM
|
Anybody using stock plugs with a 6 lb Pully

Hi All,

Anybody using stock plugs with a JL 5 "or" 6 lb Lower Pully.
I'm ordering mine tonight and have no desire to change plugs on my L since it only has 3,000 + miles on it.

My chip is already out for reburn for the new Pully, I'm still kicking the size around, 4Lb, 5LB, 6LB ????? So I need to let the tunner know tonight. It's a daily driver, my only driver, and I'm looking for max performance without over stressing the motor.
You see I have all the normal other Mods already.

I need to know I can jump in my New L and drive across country if I want to.

Give it to me straight, I want more power, but don't wanna screw up my motor.

Thanks
Rob

Old 07-31-2002 | 07:35 PM
I have the same question but only with a 4lber.

Old 07-31-2002 | 07:44 PM
Rob IMHO if you don't want to screw up your motor then leave it stock. There is also a chance that something will still happen. Anytime you increase performance it puts MORE stress on the stock parts. I have been running a 4lb for a daily driver for a long time now and have had no problems OTHER than burning up some plugs. I think knowing that you can go with any pulley you want but be willing to take the risk. If it bothers you alot about damaging something then a 2lb would be your safest route. The thing that is the MOST important though is that you can work with a tuner/chip seller that knows your mods and that you can trust and have faith in. It all depends on what your comfort level is. Some people maximise their mods and if something happens they have a backup plan. Other guys who don't even want to think about their L being hurt should be very conservative in modding. Everyone's different.. Good luck...

Old 07-31-2002 | 08:08 PM
|
Thanks for the info Jeff. Maybe you can answer a question for me ? Why is it EVERYONE seems to be burning up there plugs after they put the Pully on. I know it's because of the hot plugs, but is it a chip issue ??? My chip has been reburned three times and is now out for the forth and final burn (I hope) And Yes I finally found a tunner I can trust and believe in. He's probaly reading this post now, he knows all my Mods, he writes his own programs (more than I can say for the original place that burned it the last three times) and he post the Dyno results for all of us to read. I have faith in him and I've been a motor head my whole life, so I do know the risks. Just don't want to put something on that will guarentee a problem.

I hear people talk about not staying WOT too long with big pully's, I hear people talk about pinging and detination. IS IT BECAUSE THE CHIP PROGRAM IS NOT CORRECT, or is it because the pullys put too much extra boost into the L. I read about companys pushing 550hp with aftermarket Blowers running over 20lbs of Boost with no problems, why cant the plugs handle 5 or 6 lbs more ???

Old 07-31-2002 | 08:19 PM
Rob the plugs can handle the extra boost with no problems. The reason plugs get the tips burnt off is because there is not enough fuel or too much timing programmed in the chip. You could also have bad gas or too low octane fro your setup. But if you know for sure you have the right fuel then the chip is not right for the bigger pulley...It is sometime difficult to get a custom tune on a mail order chip. That is why alot of guys running big HP always check their plugs to see how lean/rich they are running. Guys that get dyno tuning have a MAJOR plus when getting their chips burned... Hope this helps..

Old 07-31-2002 | 08:27 PM
I kept the OEM plugs in with a 3 lber, chip, etc. I 1/4 miled and drove it daily. When I upgraded to my current 5 lber, I went to a colder plug(NGK BR7EF). The hotter plugs can't remove enough heat quickly enough and detonation is just waiting to happen. It's not a chip 'problem' IMHO; that is, if your chip is tuned with all your mods in mind. I have 32,200 trouble-free miles on her now.

Chips are usually tuned with 1/4 mile racing being the prominate use. You do not want to do long, high speed, WOT runs unless your chip has been tuned for that. The 'safe' thing to do is to get at least a 2-way chip if not a 4-way one. Then you can have multiple programs for whatever you want to do.

Btw, my BR7s are too cold for daily driving so I'm going to replace them with the Denso IT24s.....as soon as I can get up the gumption to go thru that again.

Dan

Old 07-31-2002 | 09:29 PM
Ive been running a 6lb'er and stock plugs for over a month now with no problems. I do however plan on going to Denso IT22's pretty soon... I think its just the way the chip is burnt. Your gonna want it a little richer.

-Mike

Old 07-31-2002 | 11:13 PM
Change the stock plugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you are running more boost change your stock plugs. I know it is a pain in sthe $ss to change them, but you should do it to be safe. I agree that you need the proper tune in your chip in order to correspond to the extra boost, but the stock plugs will get too hot with the added boost. I have a 4#lower with NGK tr6's.

Later

Old 08-01-2002 | 06:08 AM
I have a 6lb daily driver. The chip is burned for it and is plenty rich.
Denso's baby! Only an hour or so to change the plugs...sure beats possibly blowing the motor.

Old 08-01-2002 | 09:29 AM
BfB
Banned For Rules Violations
Go w/ the new NGK Iridium's if you're a fan of Denso Iridium. They are nearly 1/2 the price!

Old 08-01-2002 | 10:05 AM
I'm planning on running a 4lb'er in my daily driver (in fact it's already been ordered). I also plan on changing the plugs to NGK's before I turn the motor over with the new pulley in. I think 6lb and no plug change is a little risky but it's your truck, so do what you want!

Old 08-01-2002 | 10:26 AM
So what the F do I do?

Get a 4lber or 2lber? I run my performance program everyday as opposed to my regular street performance on my chip everyday. It's my daily driver w/ plenty of warranty left on it. So I can leave my stock plugs in is what you're all saying? I just hear they're a PITA to change.

Old 08-01-2002 | 10:32 AM
Re: So what the F do I do?

Originally posted by ogieogilthorpe
I just hear they're a PITA to change.
Just bite the bullet and get yourself a 7mm 1/4 drive socket a few extensions and a swivel and go to town. You might want to also get a extendable magnet

It seriously only takes an hour to do. Go outside and take a look it really isn't that tough to do........just a few tight spots thats all.

--Joe

Old 08-01-2002 | 11:38 AM
Well,
Last night I ran at the track with my 6lber, with the Stock Plugs,I wouldn't recommend it though, as soon as I can i'm putting the NGK's.
BTW-Broke into the 12's with them

Old 08-01-2002 | 12:13 PM
$32000 for the truck
$200 + for the pulley
$200 + for a chip and reburns

does around $30 and a few hours of your time seem to much to ensure a little more safety of the truck

Quick Reply: Anybody using stock plugs with a 6 lb Pully