Lightning

Alaska Lightning Owners

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2002 | 03:09 PM
|
Smile Alaska Lightning Owners

Looks like I will be moving to the Great, Last Frontier. I can't wait, but I am wondering what you all do for the winter. I will be in Fairbanks for 1 year and then Anchorage for the next. Can I expect to drive the Lightning during the winter at all (assuming I get snow tires or chains)? I have visited Alaska several times during the winter and summer so I kinda know what to expect, but I have never drove an L up there. Thanks for your help, Jeff

Last edited by JagcLightning; 08-01-2002 at 03:14 PM.
Old 08-01-2002 | 04:09 PM
With studded tires front and rear you can get around pretty good. But if you can find a cheep winter car like a used Subaru go for it cause your L will just get real dirty otherwise. As for winter fun most people have snowmachines or ski. You can track down most L owners at this web site www.AKdsm.com
Good luck with the move.

Old 08-01-2002 | 09:35 PM
Well, there goes my claim to the farthest north Lightning in the world!!!! Now I have nothing, cause NCETRY is the fastest. (I am the only L in Fairbanks right now) Anyway, I have lived here in Fairbanks for the past 2.5 years and drove my Lightning last winter up here. We don't really get too much snow like down south.... just really, really, really, cold temperatures! I have my truck winterized for the cold (-50 F).

Last winter I only drove my L around when I absolutely had to. My wife and I are both Air Force on Eielson AFB, so we could carpool to work in our Grand Prix and the L pretty much sat in the drive under the cover. I did have about ten sandbags in the back of the truck and sometimes it was scary on the slick roads. I would not worry about chains for the tires, but if you need to drive your L in the winter on a consistent basis then I would look into snow tires. I would also invest in mud flaps for your L. They look like hell, but in the winter the Dept. of Transportation puts down rocks for traction and will tear the hell out of your ground effects. I did not do that last winter and paid the price. I have many small rock chips along the bottom of the ground effects.

If you have any other question about driving your L in Fairbanks then shoot me an email at:

jrjen@mosquitonet.com

Old 08-01-2002 | 09:39 PM
Oh yeah, and distances between cities/towns here in Alaska are few and far between......... but so are the state troopers!

For instance, I am driving from here to Anchorage next week and I am gonna try to beat my time of making the 6 hour drive in less than 4.5!

Quick Reply: Alaska Lightning Owners