Lightning

MAC Attack

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2002 | 10:58 AM
|
Thumbs up MAC Attack

I installed the MAC exhaust yesterday. This thing rocks! The sound is deep and throaty when just driving around. Whan you hammer it, it turns into an aggressive ripping sound. I love it!

Thank you Donnie and Tim.

The install was pretty easy. I took the truck over to John Whalin's shop and put it on the lift. We made a couple of small cuts with an abbrasive wheel, to relieve the crimped pipe. It slid right off. The new one went right on, and the tips lined up perfectly. I love it when a plan comes together. I guess it took as much time to get the truck on the lift, as it did to install he system. Total time about 45 minutes.

Thanks to John Whalin at Reliabel Auto Care!

I would not want to do this laying under the truck, with little clearance.

Old 08-15-2002 | 11:02 AM
Jay,
I agree with you!! The MAC sounds great and Tim and Don give great help and service......rock on....JR

Old 08-15-2002 | 11:29 AM
Thumbs up

Glad you like it Jay.

Tim

Old 08-15-2002 | 11:32 AM
i LOVE MY MAC SOUND TOO.!!!!

It sounds awesome on idle, normal driving, and WOT........no complaints.........however, the fit on mine was not as pefect as yours seems to have been.

I'm going to get it welded sometime next week.............BTW, do you get any rattle from the tips rubbing on your side skirt opening??? I get a little rattle when I'm stopped...........i guess when I get it welded, I'll have it readjusted to make sure it doesn't rattle anymore.

Anyone else have this rattle??

JC

Old 08-15-2002 | 11:50 AM
|
Miami, I don't have any rattle from the tips. I made sure that I tapped them down away from the body before tightning them. Clearance is about 3/4", but it may be a litttle close (heat). I'm going to monitor it today and make an adjustment if necessary.

We did have to spread the pipes a little (1/16"), but we just loosened the strap etween them, and slid them on.

Old 08-15-2002 | 12:26 PM
I usually hate mac products after going threw all the problems with macs headers for my mustang, i installed the mac cat back on my lightning and must say it was very easy and looks and sounds great. I was not about to spend 600-700 dollares on exhaust on this truck so for the money its a good deal. i will be welding my tips to the extensions it does not seem like they are going to stay on there for long. !

Old 08-15-2002 | 02:29 PM
My buddy has a mac system and he did the before and after dyno. Truck lost hp and trq. Can an adjustment be made to his chip to correct the a/f ratio. The ratio can be the only way right?

Old 08-15-2002 | 04:03 PM
I was just checking into a new cat-back system. I read that the mac system will add around 25hp and 24 tq. The same company sells the bassani which they say will add around 20hp and 20tq??? What gives? Their mac system was $289.95 and the bassani was around $650??? Is the bassani that much better, or is it EVEN better? I really don't know but I'd like to find out more details before I purchase either one. Anyone have any info??

Old 08-15-2002 | 06:03 PM
You are right the MAC sucks to install when you only have 1 set of rhino ramps and are 6'2" 270lbs hehehe talk about a tight fit. After finding out the factory clamps had been overtightened and dented the pipes I also had to cut 2 slits in each pipe of the stock muffler to get it off. The mac slid right in and was a snap to install. I did it solo to a helper would have cut the time way down.

After I got it all installed I took it to my shop and used some 3/8 round bar to make 3 new hangers so it is now held in place with the 3 stock rubber mounts. Before I did that when I gassed it the tips would drop 3/4 of an inch now they do not move very much when I punch it.

The sound is awsome I get a bit of a drone at about 2K rpms but nothing like my 99 SS with long tubes 4"mufflex and no cats.

Old 08-15-2002 | 06:57 PM
|
I guess MAC made a production change. Mine came with a welded on front hanger, and two clamp on rear hagers. Doesn't look like it will ever get loose.

Tiamat, how much torque and hp did your friend lose? It feels like the truck may have lost a little torque, but it would be hard to quantify. A reduction in backpressure will cause that.

I think the more boost and Hp you make, the less losses you will see by freeing up the exhaust. I just wanted a new sound, which it did for me.

Old 08-15-2002 | 07:28 PM
He said he lost 9hp and 7lbs. trq. Both were runs after the motor was cool on the same dyno. It was real cool that day so the weather wasn't a factor. His system fit like crap. The shop did whatever to adjust it and now it looks great. The tips were resting against the ground effect. I have heard all the systems now and the mac sounds great. The spintech system sounds the best by far IMO. More people should try it.

Old 08-16-2002 | 12:28 AM
now john if I can get 4 of those in the Stang to ship out , I know you can get under that truck. 4 catbacks at 44 lbs each me at 240 and 6'5" I'm glad DMV didn't pull me over , way overweight on that run

It strange all the Cali guys came from the same batch

Old 08-16-2002 | 01:27 AM
Yeah ive just ordered the MAC exhaust, its sounds great, i cant wait to get it

Quick Reply: MAC Attack