Lightning

Please help: Factory Cover Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2002, 10:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Please help: Factory Cover Questions

I bought my '02 L a few weeks ago. When I was checking it out on the lot it did not have the factory cover on it. I told them I wanted this on there, for the $150 price I see on Edmunds, etc. as a factory option. All I got back from them was blank stares and they knew nothing about the cover or it being an option on the Lightning. Arrgghh! All they did was open the new Ford Accessories catalog and try and tell me a cover was over $400. I just gave up at the time, I didn't need the hassle. But I do want a cover on the back, I have been researching so much my head is spinning like the Excorcist... hard, soft, rollup, etc. I see from various posts that the owners who have the standard factory cover like it, and I guess I really don't need some totally expensive cover for now, I just want to cover the back and get better looks and mileage. But, before I call the dealer and try and order this, can anyone help out? I am wondering if the option code for the Cover on a Lightning is 86T like it shows on the Edmund's website, and what the Ford Part Number and cost is on this? Edmunds lists this as $150 MSRP! Also, is there a good place online that sells Ford Factory parts direct cheaper? Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks.

Old 08-19-2002, 10:28 AM
I got mine on the truck.
I think it was a $240 option so to replace it probably like $350 go to a body shop if you know someone then can order a ford one cheaper. The will get a discount like if it was damaged in a accidient. Still gonna be more then orginal option cost if not get a xtang cover almost a exact match no buttons

hope this helps
Slick

Old 08-19-2002, 10:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Please help: Factory Cover Questions

Originally posted by jeffsavage
I bought my '02 L a few weeks ago. When I was checking it out on the lot it did not have the factory cover on it. I told them I wanted this on there, for the $150 price I see on Edmunds, etc. as a factory option. All I got back from them was blank stares and they knew nothing about the cover or it being an option on the Lightning. Arrgghh! All they did was open the new Ford Accessories catalog and try and tell me a cover was over $400. I just gave up at the time, I didn't need the hassle. But I do want a cover on the back, I have been researching so much my head is spinning like the Excorcist... hard, soft, rollup, etc. I see from various posts that the owners who have the standard factory cover like it, and I guess I really don't need some totally expensive cover for now, I just want to cover the back and get better looks and mileage. But, before I call the dealer and try and order this, can anyone help out? I am wondering if the option code for the Cover on a Lightning is 86T like it shows on the Edmund's website, and what the Ford Part Number and cost is on this? Edmunds lists this as $150 MSRP! Also, is there a good place online that sells Ford Factory parts direct cheaper? Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks.
The cover is $150 only when installed at the time of purchase.

Call the dealer. Speak with your saleperson and see if they will sell it to you for the $150 new car price. It's only been a few weeks, right?

Old 08-19-2002, 10:44 AM
For a Tonneau Cover, the stock one ROCKS ... It
was installed before I even priced the truck, as
was the Bed Liner ... So I think I "ethniced" them
down to where I got the extras for free.

It does leak a very small amount when I go through
the carwash at the tailgate, but other than that it's
great ...

IMHO, all "L's" should come with it ...

Keep you ears open and there shoudl be a stock one
available when someone upgrades to the "hardhat"
version......

Old 08-19-2002, 12:05 PM
Angry ARRGGHH!

I just call the SVT 1-800 number. Figured I would talk to the experts and get the Ford Part Number and MSRP price of the Lightning optional cover ("code 86T") before I called the dealer about this issue. Guy I talked to was totally clueless... didn't know the part number, price... anything, told me to call the dealer's parts dept. Darn it all, this is SVT's own product, I expected to at least get a decent answer from them! To make matters even more confusing the guy said there were 2 different covers. OK, this is aggravating. Someone must know the part number and price of the factory Lightning cover or some kind soul out there just maybe has one for sale? (I looked at the classifieds already with no luck)... I will pay the $150 MSRP plus shipping. Thanks!

Old 08-19-2002, 12:12 PM
You will not pay what the option costs buying the cover afterwards. That cover cost about $300 through the parts department. It costs them way more than $150 to get it in the door, so no dealer is going to give it to you for the option cost.

I know this from first hand experiance. When I bought my 99, I ordered it with the cover. The covers were backordered from the manufacturer, so my truck build was put on hold. I cancelled the cover order to speed up getting the truck, planning to buy it afterward. I paid about $300 for it (my dealer cost).

By the way, the covers are made by Bestop. You might be able to buy the same cover cheaper right from them.

Quick Reply: Please help: Factory Cover Questions