Lightning

For those using MAC exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2002 | 06:58 PM
93Cobra, don't apologize for asking a question, brother.

Old 08-19-2002 | 07:34 PM
BFB.........BUDDY, COMPADRE..........did someone at Mac kill your pet, or pick on you

I was wondering the same thing... I have a Bassani cat-back... I love it... To all you guys with a Mac... More power to ya... I'm sure it sounds great...

Old 08-20-2002 | 11:48 PM
Hey, to each his own.... I have seen, listened and lusted after a stainless silver bullit system. I just couldn't quite come up with that cash after buying the truck. A little while later, along comes the MAC and it is about $250 cheaper and my disposable income can work with that now. I would like to have the quickest L out there, but that is only a dream. I am fortunate that the previous owner of my L had made several good mods and a significant improvement to its' 1/4 mile times. Now with the MAC, it sounds like it should have when it came from the factory (love the rip at WOT!). I would get a little orange haze in the inside bottom of the tip after washing, if I didn't dry it or drive it. I have since used high temp flat black paint on the inside of the tips (after cleaning and scotchbriting) and they look good (just like the "soot" coating they get after driving for a while). Polished SS or chrome plating on the inside would look alot better, but I would be cleaning the black soot off all of the time. I thought that painting the inside of the tips with a high temp red paint would look good, but dismissed it after thinking about cleaning the exhaust soot off of it all of the time.

Regards,
MSM

Old 08-21-2002 | 03:42 AM
The MAC catback is the best sounding catback I have had on my truck. True the quality isn't like the Bassani or Borla but its a helluva deal for under three bills.

Old 08-21-2002 | 04:09 AM
no soot here?

Originally posted by svt123
Hey, to each his own.... I have seen, listened and lusted after a stainless silver bullit system. I just couldn't quite come up with that cash after buying the truck. A little while later, along comes the MAC and it is about $250 cheaper and my disposable income can work with that now. I would like to have the quickest L out there, but that is only a dream. I am fortunate that the previous owner of my L had made several good mods and a significant improvement to its' 1/4 mile times. Now with the MAC, it sounds like it should have when it came from the factory (love the rip at WOT!). I would get a little orange haze in the inside bottom of the tip after washing, if I didn't dry it or drive it. I have since used high temp flat black paint on the inside of the tips (after cleaning and scotchbriting) and they look good (just like the "soot" coating they get after driving for a while). Polished SS or chrome plating on the inside would look alot better, but I would be cleaning the black soot off all of the time. I thought that painting the inside of the tips with a high temp red paint would look good, but dismissed it after thinking about cleaning the exhaust soot off of it all of the time.

Regards,
MSM
I used high temp bbQ grill , flat black works great, by the way why do you have soot ? stock motor? mine burns clean..

Old 08-21-2002 | 11:50 PM
Nope, not stock. 6# pulley, chip, 90 MAF, JL air filter w/ cold air tube, etc.... on a '90 L. Runs great!!! The "soot" that I mentioned is the thin, fine, black carbon layer that coats the inside of the tips after a period of time (about a week for me). Perhaps my truck is running a tad on the rich side, but I have no problems with the way it runs. The original owner detailed all of the mods for me, including having the tuner personally spend the time with the truck to create the chip program for it. He had run some very respectable times with it and if it is a tad rich, it's OK with me.

Anyway, the flat black paint now gives the inside of the tips a very even appearence, much better than the uneven "soot" pattern.

Regards,
MSM

Quick Reply: For those using MAC exhaust