Lightning

I turned off my torque converter lockup, how do I turn it back on?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2002, 02:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm gonna' need some pliers, and a set of 30 weight ball bearings (it's all ball bearing nowadays) And I'm gonna' need about 10 quarts of antifreeze, preferably Prestone. No, make that Quaker State.

Old 08-20-2002, 03:02 PM
FLETCH

Old 08-20-2002, 04:02 PM
Banned
Old 08-21-2002, 12:38 PM
OK, where do I start... I'm going to give you all the code so you'll be in the same boat as me. And maybe make a few more mistakes, I'll try to keep my tranny parts from "honking".

Get in your truck, close your doors.
Turn your ignition to run w/o starting it.
unlock your door three times.
Turn your ignition to off.
Unlock your door three times.
Turn your ignition to run [again].
unlock your door three times.

Your *horn* should honk once, to indicate that the lockup feature, which is computer controlled, is turned off.

How do you turn it back on? Good question.

Now I'm wondering why I would do this. I've been told that if you have installed a higher speed torque converter that you want to unlock it because the computer will make it lock at a certain speed or RPM. Thus when your truck is launching and it hits the certain point where the tranny's torque converter is locked up it does so. This can cause damage to your tranny and other parts due to the fact that there is so much torque that gets transfered immediately. This is why fast race cars, or people who build mega HP do this.

Now for my reality. I have a stock truck (almost) and a stock TQ converter. You lose gas mileage when you unlock the TQ converter and the primary reasont they have it lock (as I know) is to create better gas mileage (which we don't worry about apparently) and to help keep tranny temp down. When the 'clutch plates' (for lack of a correct term) slip they create heat and on the freeway or high speeds there is no need to have them slip, so they lock.

Hopefully that clears things up.

and to retort to the other galimatias;

BADAZZ- Not sure what that had to do with anything (the first part of my post) other than this may have not been the first mistake I've ever made.

Lightningrod- do you think that the seatbelt reset would do anything for it?

Old 08-21-2002, 01:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Torque converter 101

Torque converter 101 basics

Think of the torque converter as a single unit having two internal "fans" that are close together. One connected to the motor and the to the tranny. One fan spins (motor) pushing fluid against the other fan (tranny). You can imagine a "slip" taking place because of the down wind fan spinning slower than the pusher fan. This slip inturn heats the fluid and puts pressure on the other, but yet allows the motor to turn when the car is sitting still.

And when the converter goes into lock up, the two "fans" spin at the same speed causing no loss and saving fuel.

WOT

Old 08-21-2002, 01:14 PM
You're not really serious about this are you? You can't shut the lock up off in the truck.

The procedure you explained is a legit one though. That's the procedure to code new key fobs to the vehicle.

Old 08-21-2002, 01:26 PM
att Spankdog

I don't kno where you got that pic,,but its the best I've seen on these boards in a long time..FH

Old 08-21-2002, 01:50 PM
Suspended Pending Email Reply
I agree with Sal and wydo... - the lockup is purely mechanical. It's not computer controlled. It's caused by fluid friction and heat - like a viscous locking differential.

Who the heck told you that this would make your torque converter not lock?

Old 08-21-2002, 01:55 PM
Well, no, the lock up IS computer controlled. It's a pulse width modulated command of the lockup solenoid. But you can't shut it off without going into the PCM calibration.

Old 08-21-2002, 02:17 PM
Banned
Re: att Spankdog

Originally posted by Houndog
I don't kno where you got that pic,,but its the best I've seen on these boards in a long time..FH
I found it over at the v6power.net messageboards a while back. Thats all they do over there.

Old 08-21-2002, 02:40 PM
Suspended Pending Email Reply
Originally posted by LightningTuner
Well, no, the lock up IS computer controlled. It's a pulse width modulated command of the lockup solenoid. But you can't shut it off without going into the PCM calibration.
Oh, ok... Oops

Don't you hate when you think you know what you're talking about, but, in reality, you have NO CLUE??

Old 08-21-2002, 08:34 PM
Red face

Guys, I was just pullin' somebody's leg .....

Dan

Old 08-21-2002, 10:06 PM
im confused now.

please excuse the terms used, im not educated on trannys..

i understand that the engine turns the front half of the converter and when spun fast enough "throws" the fluid with enough force to spin the other half of the converter. And I understand that lockup is when both halfs of the converter are spinning at the same speed. But what I dont understand is, what is a lockup solenoid and how does it work?

Old 08-22-2002, 02:35 AM
When the converter is locked, it is MECHANICALLY linked, there is a clutch in the converter that engages when the EPC solenoid fires the converter clutch solenoid (the EPC has solenoids for every shift event), when the PCM commands converter lock, the solenoid in the solenoid valve body fires, sending fluid under pressure to the converter clutch, which engages and VIOLLA! you are mechanincally linked from the geartrain to the flywheel.

G

Old 08-22-2002, 02:49 AM
Ok, first and foremost: what are 'key FOBS'?

And I have heard from many a person that you can turn off the TQ lockup by doing some type of code via unlocks and what not. I thought I had it.

As far as what I've done, do I need to un-do anything now?

wydopnthrtl explained this exactly as I've had it explained several times. I think he has the best explanation I've had told to me.

Unlocking it keeps that sylinoid (sp?) from locking and damaging things when you are still having a different in speed from the 'engine side' to the 'tranny side'. (not that we need it with our applications).

Quick Reply: I turned off my torque converter lockup, how do I turn it back on?