Lightning

I turned off my torque converter lockup, how do I turn it back on?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2002, 03:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 08-22-2002, 10:28 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by SVTMoonshine
Ok, first and foremost: what are 'key FOBS'?

And I have heard from many a person that you can turn off the TQ lockup by doing some type of code via unlocks and what not. I thought I had it.

As far as what I've done, do I need to un-do anything now?

wydopnthrtl explained this exactly as I've had it explained several times. I think he has the best explanation I've had told to me.

Unlocking it keeps that sylinoid (sp?) from locking and damaging things when you are still having a different in speed from the 'engine side' to the 'tranny side'. (not that we need it with our applications).
Wow, I guess you were serious..

Key fobs are the little boxes connected to your keys, with bottons on them. The procedure you mentioned is the procedure used to code new fobs to the vehicle.

Nothing is going to be "damaged" from the lock up. Like I stated before, the lock up is pulse width modulated. It is controlled by the PCM, and there are tons of tables and functions that control it. You'd be surprised how often the lock up is NOT on. And when it is on, it's not always at 100% lock up. About the only time the converter is 100% locked up, is steady cruise and part of WOT. Whenever you tip in to the throttle, it immediately unlocks, and it also unlocks when you apply the brakes.

Old 08-22-2002, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by clonetek
Hahahahhahah, that's awesome!!!

LMFAO

Old 08-22-2002, 12:08 PM
Re: Torque converter 101

Originally posted by wydopnthrtl
Torque converter 101 basics

Think of the torque converter as a single unit having two internal "fans" that are close together. One connected to the motor and the to the tranny. One fan spins (motor) pushing fluid against the other fan (tranny). You can imagine a "slip" taking place because of the down wind fan spinning slower than the pusher fan. This slip inturn heats the fluid and puts pressure on the other, but yet allows the motor to turn when the car is sitting still.

And when the converter goes into lock up, the two "fans" spin at the same speed causing no loss and saving fuel.

WOT
That is called fluid coupling. Lockup is a mechanical clutch.

Old 08-22-2002, 04:02 PM
Thumbs up

Originally posted by Factory_Tech
When the converter is locked, it is MECHANICALLY linked, there is a clutch in the converter that engages when the EPC solenoid fires the converter clutch solenoid (the EPC has solenoids for every shift event), when the PCM commands converter lock, the solenoid in the solenoid valve body fires, sending fluid under pressure to the converter clutch, which engages and VIOLLA! you are mechanincally linked from the geartrain to the flywheel.

G
Got it!

Quick Reply: I turned off my torque converter lockup, how do I turn it back on?