Lightning

This should make you all happy!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2002 | 09:57 PM
Clearly, some of those higher ranked had a God complex by arresting everyone; think about it. Why would someone have EVERYONE arrested at once when most were innocent...the power to do it. I'm sure he's backing off now; but, probably only because he's come to his senses after the adrenalin high he got and all the uprising (justified). I'm sure a lot of those cops didn't like what they were being told to do; but, if they disobeyed....job lost, maybe.

Old 08-20-2002 | 10:13 PM
I was there when they were bringing in the paddy wagons.... There are going to be lots of law suits over this one.
Some kids were arrested with their parents there with them

Old 08-20-2002 | 11:19 PM
"Police on Sunday said 425 people were arrested, but Monday revised the count. Most were charged with criminal trespass".

whoa! yeah one of my friend was in that whole ordeal

Old 08-21-2002 | 10:41 AM
|
Originally posted by BlkBanshee

osumason, I totally agree. Why do you think your property taxes, and all of your insurance rates are so damn high? Because people sue for everything they can THINK of, and almost always win.

Don't get me wrong - some people deserve it. But the majority of these people don't.
Take, for instance, my bro-in-law's uncle. He got hit by a car. Broke his leg. He didn't have any permanent damage, just a small fracture. He's completely fine now, you'd never know - Except, he sued the driver, because the guy was driving an Escalade, and he figured the guy had money. He's a few hundred grand richer now. THAT is bull*****.... On top of that, the guy covered his medical bills, court costs, etc.

People will take ANY incident, and blow it WAY out of proportion, just to make money.

Now, don't get me wrong - I think this whole bust is BS, too. At the most, though, these people are owed nothing more than any money missed from work, a clean police record, and any monies spent on getting their cars back from impound. (including any damages to the vehicles.)

Anything more than that is just plain proposterous.
While I would agree that a lot of people will sue over anything, being arrested for committing NO CRIME AT ALL or arrested for a simple misdemeanor is uncalled for. Threat of litigation will ensure that this does not happen again, as it will cost the city a good sum to make it right.

If you want to see some real examples of over-litigousness, check out www.overlawyered.com.

Old 08-21-2002 | 10:59 AM
Suspended Pending Email Reply
Of course, I agree, there's no excuse for it. However, the kids shouldn't all get some huge settlement - The captain should be charged. What he ordered was a crime. The officers were only following orders, despite their own feelings on the situation, but I'm sure that THEY'LL be the ones to suffer for this.

Besides, though - what the hell are so many people doing hanging out outside of KMart?? That's just dumb to begin with.

The Sonic, though - it was ridiculous that they even went OVER there.

Heck, though - can you IMAGINE what that place must have looked like? 200+ people arrested, and most of them were in that KMart parking lot?? Must be one hell of a big parking lot...

Old 08-21-2002 | 11:04 AM
|
"Just following orders"? Didn't work for the *****...

Old 08-21-2002 | 12:13 PM
Angry

There seems to be common thought of everything needing to be "fair" to all involved.

Why? To what end?

To "protect the right of the kids/young adults"? To "beat down the LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS"? Hogwash! Seems to me a reality check is needed here even if the LEOs were unreasonable in this case.

If those folks were not out there repeatedly messin around & racing ill. there would not have been this incident to begin with. And the truely inocent folks would have never had a problem enjoying a late night snak or shopping.

Personally I know where my teenage children are at 12:00-1:00AM on a sat night/sun morn. And it's not out being "inocent" kickin it w/other kids. They are in bed sleeping.

Freedom comes at a price. And people loitering late at night in area's that are clearly not intended for that are the ones who are suppressing other law abiding citizens freedom.

(off soap box) WOT

Old 08-21-2002 | 01:14 PM
I'll second that.

Reason lies in the middle ground. The kids had no business loitering there in large numbers, and the cops went overboard.

Old 08-27-2002 | 11:33 AM
Wink

i guess this whole deal was,,,a good idea, at the time , or something
http://www.khou.com/news/local/khou0....cb224ff9.html

Old 08-27-2002 | 11:44 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
If I filed a lawsuit everytime I got arrested I could lend money to Bill Gates.

Old 08-27-2002 | 12:33 PM
Old 08-27-2002 | 12:44 PM
"I don't feel safe anywhere now," Demmler said of the experience. "It was really wrong, what they did."

That is why this is so very wrong

For all of you who believe that, Raoul really is a goat herder, keep in mind that many prisons do have internet access.

Old 08-27-2002 | 12:54 PM
Thumbs up

wydopnthrtl for President!!!!!!!
Here's your explaination as to why.
Those businesses and others in the area, as well as nearby residents, have in the past complained about the noise and litter, police said.

Old 08-27-2002 | 03:01 PM
This kind of thing just fuels my disgust for cops. I even have 2 in the family...they even knew what they were orderd to do was wrong and they still did it...mindless clones

"Freedom comes at a price. And people loitering late at night in area's that are clearly not intended for that are the ones who are suppressing other law abiding citizens freedom. "

yeah...ummm...sure, and how do kids at k-mart at 2 am effect you while your sleeping at home with your kids? Im sure you cant sleep a wink....

Last edited by PENNYWISE_88; 08-27-2002 at 03:09 PM.
Old 08-27-2002 | 10:06 PM
Just so you guys get as much input on this story as possible (besides what the Chronicle (rag) reports), I listened to a call-in show this morning and a lady who works at K-Mart called in with some first-hand info. She said people in near-by apartments had complained about the noise, K-Mart customers told employees they were nervous about going out to their vehicles, and that some of the cars were indeed racing inside the K-Mart parking lot. Granted this is a big lot, but no where near big enough to get a race. Also, alot of warnings had been given out in that lot the two Saturdays prior.

I'm not condoning, nor condemning what the police did. Make sure you get all the info, though, before passing judgement. These weren't necessarily innocents that were arrested. I know this post sounds somewhat cop-friendly, but it's not. While this was going down, I was in another part of town watching some real street race action. (A Z28 set a ZX9R out 5 lengths and gave him the move and still layed it down on his ***!, but that's another story.)

Just trying to keep it real.......

Quick Reply: This should make you all happy!