Lightning

02 engine noise in the morning

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2002, 08:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't be such a F'ing Mary! Just drive the damm TRUCK. Put your foot to the floor*. If it blows up, get a new motor for free.

Mine rattles when cold, but runs like a raped ape. If you want something civilized buy a Cadillac.

(* the above procedure to be performed after proper breakin)

Last edited by LightningTruck; 08-21-2002 at 09:41 PM.
Old 08-22-2002, 01:00 AM
Same happened to my '02 on first oil change. I listened with a probe the noise is coming from the chain tensioner.
I had buddy at work that had the same noise in a,(late'01) f150 5.4. The dealer changed the tensioners and told him there was a new design tensioner out, sort of an unannounced recall. If you don't complain, they don't fix.
I am with Lightning Truck on the comments, gas the S**t out of it, it goes til it blows, that's what warranties are for. Just be careful on mods until it is fixed, dealer may not honor warranty.
I am keeping mine stock so I am going with an extended warranty, and telling this rattle to get worse or better, who cares.
Just my rambling thoughts.

Old 08-22-2002, 10:47 AM
Now that you mention it, It does sound like a cam chain noise.

By the way, The noise is still there after warmup when idling.... although very faint...... but Im worried it will get worse

I just changed the oil again this morn. with Motorcraft 5w30 will let you know after i sits overnite

Thanks for your input once again

bob

Old 08-23-2002, 12:37 AM
Bopat,

Once the noise is there, it will never go away by itself. I had 4000 miles and changed with motorcraft. The rattle was louder. I went back to parts store, bought 6 quarts of Mobil 1 Synthetic, Purolator micronic filter and changed again. Noise got to be a lot less, but still there. If I wanted it to go away, I might try Lucas Oil Stabilizer.
Then I have to add it every oil chnage and it is money wasted if it needs to be repaired by Ford anyway.

I have 8400 miles now, same noise when cold. Got to the point I ignore it until it gets worse and goes to my SVT Ford guy to fix.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-23-2002, 02:25 AM
NO PROB'S 4 ME

I too have a 02
I switched to mobil 1 @ 800 miles 5w-30 no problems or irregular noises was a little louder @ start up in real cold (piston shrinkage..lol)
I am currently on my 3rd oil change with mobil one gonna try
10-30 this time around see how it goes should be the same
as the others say just beat it its under warranty

As for the blower cavitation theroy...I don't think so I work on pumps all day and cavitation would affect psi not a noise especially with a air blower 2 idle I am assuming, but I could be wrong water and air are two different animals

Slick

Old 08-23-2002, 01:33 PM
Well after changing the oil with Motorcraft 5w/30 yesterday. I started it up today and there seems to be less noise there, hardly at all. But I think I should still have the dealership check it out and document it on a work order that way if anything should happen down the road I'll have something to fall back on.

So was the oil to thin? or Is it a cheap oil to begin with?

Should I try another brand of oil, or a syn. on the next change with the hope of it getting more quiet?

I was quite surprized to see that changing the oil from a 5w/20 to a 5w/30 made that much of a diff.

Should I add an additive like wynns oil treatment or leave it alone?

Thanks again
bob a little happier than before still love that truck 3100 miles

Old 08-23-2002, 02:22 PM
bopat,

If you take away most of the noise and then take it to your dealer, what they are going to say is, hit the road, call us when you get a life, etc.

Another thing, every time you go to the dealer, the care of your baby is totally out of your hands, door dings, test drives, scratches, just to name a few.

If you want the dealer to fix it , put the thin stuff back in and go for it. Once you start wasting money on addidtives, it never stops. The dealer loves you for fixing his problem, and the additive people smile when they see you coming. Save your money for your favorite mods.

Just do it and don't fret over every small thing. Life is way too short, enjoy the "L" ride man.

'nuff said.

Quick Reply: 02 engine noise in the morning