Lightning

Extrude Hone

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2002 | 05:22 PM
|
Extrude Hone

I have been reading up more and more about this, and i have decided it would be worth my time and money to have my upper intake done. I have run across a few questions being inexperienced at port N polishing, but I am learning thanks to the help of my L buddies . Hopefully you can help me with my questions:

1) What tools would I need to do this properly? (dremel, flapper?, sandpaper)
2) I read in another post of people using a dremel to "port match", why cant I just bolt the intake back on?
3) How much do I need to sand the interior?
4) What do I use to polish the Interior after porting?

thanks for your help guys, we all gotta learn things we dont know sometime, and for me that time is now.
thanks again,
-Jeff

Old 08-21-2002 | 05:34 PM
Look in the most recent copy of MM&FF. They wrote an article about extrude honing an L intake

To extrude hone something you need a special machine that forces a grit filled slurry though the part being honed.

Old 08-21-2002 | 05:40 PM
|
"To extrude hone something you need a special machine that forces a grit filled slurry though the part being honed."

Does anyone know somebody who can do this?

Old 08-21-2002 | 05:43 PM
An extrude hone machine, I believe is really really expensive. Dremels and a flapwheel is the next best thing.

Read this and all links contained in it:
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...threadid=87698

Old 08-21-2002 | 05:44 PM
Go to extrudehone.com and send it to them. They charge $150. It's about a week and a half turn around. If you need another intake fordpartsonline has them for $130.

Old 08-21-2002 | 05:45 PM
I did mine, pretty easy to do just reallllly dirty.

Dremel with flex shaft will work, flap wheels for dremel and I then used a small buff wheel (1-2") with greaseless compound in 80/220/320 grits. This smoothed everything to a very smooth finish. Last I attached the TB back to the plenum and used a marker to mark the material that need to be taken off the plenum for a flush fitting. Took apart and used same flap wheel to sand the material off.
Took a few hours to complete. Do it outside as it will get really dirty fast! Not as nice as what you can buy but alot cheaper

Old 08-21-2002 | 06:06 PM
Talking Extrude hone machine

The hard way:

First, buy 100 lbs of diladent compound 3179 from Dow Corning($800 + shipping).

Second, remove your intake.

Third, shove the Diladent compound (aka silly putty) through the intake at high pressure/low volume (your fist with a lot of exercise will work!) Flow a couple hundred cubic feet through it.

Fourth: Finish up with a dremel and flapper wheel/port matching.

Easy way:

send it to www.extrudehone.com

Coldie

Old 08-21-2002 | 06:10 PM
There is a guy down in FL that will smooth it out for you (not extrude hone, but close) for about the same price. He will send you a ported/smooted plenum that you can install on your truck and then you return your core afterward. That way there is no down time. Email me if you want his name. I don't want to violate vendor rules (I'm not one nor associated with one nor paid by one). If it's ok to post his name and/or information, somebody please let me know. Otherwise, email me and I will give you his info.

Also, he'll do some clean up work on the stock TB (he'll send that as an exchange unit at the same time) as well or match it to an oval TB if you send it to him or buy one from him.

Ken

Last edited by ken800; 08-21-2002 at 06:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Extrude Hone