Lightning

Ford finally REQUIRING SVT technician training....

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2002, 10:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford finally REQUIRING SVT technician training....

Hi everyone, here is a bit of interesting news. Ford motor company recently released:

Every dealership (svt dealers) will be required to have AT LEAST one service technician complete a new SVT training program.

This is REQUIRED in order to remain or become an authorized SVT dealer.

The program consists of online study classes as well as Ford training school classroom courses.

This may not sound like much, but contrary to popular belief, until this point there was no such thing as a SVT certified tech.

In fact, there werent' even any SVT training classes available to techs to take aside from "new model training classes" that are overview classes given whenever a new model vehicle is released.

I know some of you guys don't like to even set foot inside a Ford dealership service department, some of you have good reasons for this, some do not.

Either way, at least Ford and SVT are taking steps in the right direction to make sure that SVT customers are given the positive service experience that they deserve.

later,
chris

P.S. BTW, SVT service writer training classes are also now being offered

Last edited by superfords; 08-22-2002 at 10:32 AM.
Old 08-22-2002, 11:11 AM
Location: On the side of the Road attempting to explain 135 miles per hour
you mean Cooter and now be a certi-ma-fied SVT techmishian?

YAY!

Old 08-22-2002, 11:46 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

Ya he can, but only if his dealership/employer is willing to pay $$$ to have him/her/it "certified".

I know of some po-dunk dealerships who will shove this cost off onto the techs themselves. Or even worse just not do it.

Old 08-22-2002, 12:18 PM
They definitely need some training. I had my SC and accessory belts changed out. The Dealer took SIX hours to change the accessory belt. They claim that there was no Shop Manual on how to do the change and they had to contact SVT technical hotline.

I did have the SC intercooler recall/upgrade done at the same Dealer and it went a lot smoother. But I waited quite a while to have it done to ensure they had done some before I subjected my truck to Cooter & Gomer Inc.

Old 08-22-2002, 12:35 PM
Superfords,

I noticed you are from Richmond.
Do you know if Sheehy Ford on Midlothian Tnpk is participating in the SVT training? I bought my 01 L from there and I plan on getting it serviced there.

Thanks,
Eric

Old 08-22-2002, 01:23 PM
I used to work at Sheehy about 4 years ago when it was called **** Strauss Ford. There are some pretty good people there. There is a team leader there for the Red Team who ownes a black 2001 Lightning.

In answer to your question...

my understanding is that EVERY single SVT dealer has to send at least one tech to this school.

they don't have an option if they want to continue to be an SVT dealer.

and to wydopnthrtl:

"Ya he can, but only if his dealership/employer is willing to pay $$$ to have him/her/it "certified".
I know of some po-dunk dealerships who will shove this cost off onto the techs themselves. Or even worse just not do it."

I have never heard of a dealership charging a tech to go to school, but I wouldn't put it past some of them.

However, as I said if a dealership wants to retain it's SVT AUTHORIZED DEALER status, they MUST send a tech (or several) to this training.

later,
chris

Old 08-22-2002, 01:27 PM
I will tell all you VA guys this....

If you ever need your L worked on by Ford. Take it to Chris (superfords) at universal ford. He is a top notch guy and knows his stuff.

Chris,

Cant wait to see you at the tracks again!!!

Old 08-22-2002, 02:04 PM
thanks for the kind words

Old 08-22-2002, 02:29 PM
Re: Ford finally REQUIRING SVT technician training....

Originally posted by superfords

P.S. BTW, SVT service writer training classes are also now being offered
Wonder if this means I will no longer have to "remind" them
about my loaner rental car?

This is great news ... THanks, Chris!

Old 08-22-2002, 02:52 PM
I took mine in for an oil change, and totally forgot about the free tank of gas and the free car wash. Oh well. They woulda probobally put 89 ocatane in my truck anyway, just to save the 2$.

-Mike

Old 08-22-2002, 03:10 PM
Thumbs down

Superfords:

Olney Ill. Ford dealer used to before they went out of "Ford" business. I know the owner personally and he used to make them pay for "ford" training themselves and on their own time no less. You can only imagine the turn over he had.

BTW: Why is the SVT dealer accross the street from my house not capable of installing a ring and pinion?

Here's what I was told about a 97 crownvic (8.8 last fall)

"I'm not sure if my tech. is capable of doing that big of a job?"

Considering these idiots were pricing me a "non-performance" 4.10 for $975, labor for $1,300, $200 for the install kit, & they are not sure if they know how to do it? Get real!

Repeated experiences like this throughout my life make me wan't to not only avoid dealers, but to point out to others my experiences.

I'm not bashing/badmouthing those idiots. (well a little ) It's just the facts as I have experienced it. I've lived in 4 different states and have had very similiar experiences in all 4.

WOT

Old 08-22-2002, 05:25 PM
Cool

Chris "Superfords",
I didn't know you worked at Universal. I might just have to start using them for service on my L. The only thing that sucks is that I live right off of Midlothian Tnpk about 3 miles from Sheehy. So Universal is way outta my way for routine service. But knowing that a fellow board member works there makes it very enticing.

Thanks for the info Richard. I thought you were moving to Florida?

Hopefully we central VA guys can get together soon!

Old 08-22-2002, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by ema100c

Thanks for the info Richard. I thought you were moving to Florida?

Hopefully we central VA guys can get together soon!
I think I am going to be staying in VA now. When you want to hook up??

Old 08-22-2002, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by mecca
I took mine in for an oil change, and totally forgot about the free tank of gas and the free car wash. Oh well. They woulda probobally put 89 ocatane in my truck anyway, just to save the 2$.

-Mike
When i bought my truck the gas gauge was on E... i asked the sales man NOT to put any gas in the truck because i knew what they would do (cheapest gas)... When i got in the truck it was full and guess what.. that whole first tank the truck spark knocked very bad. After that first tank was gone I have never even heard even a slight ping coincidence? i don't think so.

I have had to take my truck in several times for service, everytime i take it in I insist that they only do the work it was brought in for and do not clean the truck in any way or put any gas in the truck. As a added measure I never let the truck leave my sight and always talk with the technician.

Old 08-22-2002, 07:14 PM
lxtac, I'm not surprised by that at all.

think about this... some dealerships have gas on site, with SVT vehicles requiring premium fuel making up such a tiny percentage of their business, what type of fuel do you think they'd keep in that tank on the lot?

other dealerships have accounts with nearby gas stations.

my previous employer had an on lot fuel tank, what fuel do you supposed SVT's get there?

my current employer sends vehicles down the street where we have an account. all grades of fuel are available, but when I personally took my L down there for my first fill up with the salesman when I bought it, they tried to say that I couldn't charge the premium fuel that I'd just filled up with onto the dealerships account because the account was setup only to allow the sale of REGULAR fuel. to save a penny I guess.

so again, I know it's stupid, but I'm not surprised that you or anybody else got regular fuel in their tank, most of the people that would be doing the filling wouldn't know any better.

(back to the origin of this thread...) Unfortunately SVT does not yet offer training courses for lot attendants!

later,
chris

Last edited by superfords; 08-22-2002 at 07:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Ford finally REQUIRING SVT technician training....