Lightning

Dead Even w/ Porsche 928S4

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2002, 10:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dead Even w/ Porsche 928S4

Pretty fun! Came up nice and easy to a light, wasn't really even in the mood to mess around. In front of me was a black Porsche 928S4 (ala "Risky Business"). Light turns green and he starts off totally slow like a jerk, then guns it. I let him get just a bit ahead and unleashed the beast and almost ran him over, then he moves over and I zoomed ahead and slowed back down for another light. That one turns green and he guns it again, so I do to... neck and neck for 1/8th mile until we came up on alot of traffic. While we were racing I noticed I had screwed up and had the overdrive off and was at redline... doh! Not a big deal since we slowed down, but I bet if I hadn't been playing around with that I could have got a bit ahead of him if truck would have been able to get to 3rd. Darn it! (Truck's new so I am still messing around with all the controls yet). But this guy looked really ticked off that I ran right with him. Heh heh! Stock no less (except for K&N drop-in filter). Can hardly wait for the JL Chip and JDM exhaust to get here!

Old 08-23-2002, 12:04 PM
Gotta love eating up little sports cars. Those drivers get so mad when they get owned by a truck. Great to see their faces afterwards.

-Mike

Old 08-23-2002, 01:18 PM
With the OverDrive off, It would have kept you out of (technically) 4th gear, not 3rd. These trucks dont shift into O/D until about 115-120mph under wide open throttle(stock). If you were going that fast in only 1/8th mile, you have a freak truck to end all freaks(highly doubtful).

Great run though, with a Porsche no less!!

Not a flame, just info.

Jason

Old 08-23-2002, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by StruckBy99
With the OverDrive off, It would have kept you out of (technically) 4th gear, not 3rd. These trucks dont shift into O/D until about 115-120mph under wide open throttle(stock). If you were going that fast in only 1/8th mile, you have a freak truck to end all freaks(highly doubtful).

Great run though, with a Porsche no less!!

Not a flame, just info.

Jason
Thanks for the information... I was actually wondering exactly how the OD works. It seemed at WOT with the Porsche that the truck didn't shift into 3rd (maybe I shut it down right before it would have, I think we were up to approx. 90mph before I had to brake hard)... the engine was redlined pretty much. The truck will properly shift at WOT won't it? I know, that sounds like a goofy question, but I am wondering... I have noticed the truck behaves quite differently with shift points at different throttle levels... and this is one of the first times I have "got on it" in the L, seeing as how I just passed 1,000 miles and changed the oil (now I can have some fun!)

Old 08-23-2002, 01:57 PM
Question

OD off, changes the gearbox into a 3 speed.

The 3-4 shift happens at approximately 116.2315 mph, if you are going WOT.

Remember to use your turn signal when you pass Porsches, it makes it seem as if you are not racing really hard...

Last edited by BlackLight; 08-23-2002 at 02:01 PM.
Old 08-23-2002, 03:39 PM
Suspended Pending Email Reply
Originally posted by BlackLight
The 3-4 shift happens at approximately 116.2315 mph, if you are going WOT.
Blacklight, if that's what you call approximate - how many decimal places do you go to, when you're talking exact??

Old 08-23-2002, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by BlackLight
Remember to use your turn signal when you pass Porsches, it makes it seem as if you are not racing really hard...

just the mental image of this happening cracked me up bad. . . how very cruel

Old 08-23-2002, 09:50 PM
Last night on the way home from work (midnight) I raced a newer Firebird. Long story short, I lost

He had the six speed as I could hear him shift. But the thing is, I'm not really disapointed with the loss. My stock L was much more worthy than my '01 GT ever was against the General's best.

We were at about 85-90 when we "shut it down" but his rear end had not quite passed my front end.

But it got me thinking... new valve body, line valve, pullies and a switch chip and I think I would of had him!

I gotta do what I gotta do!

/tg

Quick Reply: Dead Even w/ Porsche 928S4