Lightning

This P.A.T.S. crap is getting old.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2002 | 10:19 AM
|
Angry This P.A.T.S. crap is getting old.....

Well, next chapter in my wonderful experience with PATS--had my truck brought to FORD to reprogram the keys...now they say that the PCM I bought, through Ford 5 days ago (with reciept), would not except the new key codes--the service writer stated, and I quote "The PCM you bought through the parts department--was sold to you blank"---NO INFO IN MY F#CKING COMPUTER!....They said I have to wait until monday (this was Saturday) for the tech to go online--get the program through Ford--and reprogram from scratch!...

It took the tech 2 hours-4 tries at the PATS reset to figure this out---now we will wait and see if they charge me extra for these extra steps..If thats the case-they are going to have to pry me off the service manager with a crowbar and call him an ambulance!!!

IF ANY OF YOU FORD AND/OR SVT HIGHER-UPS ARE READING THIS---GET ON THE SAME PAGE. MANY OF YOUR CUSTOMERS ARE LOYAL TO YOUR COMPANY FOR THE PRODUCT YOU MAKE....AND THE SVT FANS ARE NO DIFFERENT...THIS IS A HOBBY FOR THEM. IF THIS WASNT MY HOBBY....I'D BE DRIVING AROUND IN SOME LITTLE CAR FOR NO REASON, OTHER THAN TRANSPORTATION.

YOU NEED SOME LEVEL OF CONSISTANCY IN YOUR SYSTEMS AND TO EDUCATE YOUR SERVICE PERSONNEL BETTER SO THEY CAN DO THEIR JOBS RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!!!!

(climbing off his soapbox now)---and ready to drive by FORD and see his truck sitting on the service lot on a beautiful Sunday---instead of being out ENJOYING HIS HOBBY!!

--Its a friggin key...not brain surgery.....

Last edited by HEVYRESQ; 08-25-2002 at 11:44 AM.
Old 08-25-2002 | 11:06 AM
When you install a new PCM, you have to configure it to the vehicle. All the modules work on a databus network, and communicate with each other. Each module has an internal ID code. Every time you swap in a new PCM, it has to be configured to the system, then you can store the PATS key codes. Obviously this dealership doesn't know how to do a parameter reset, which is the correct procedure for what you need.

Old 08-25-2002 | 11:12 AM
I had heard all the PCms were coming blank and needed to be Loaded with the correct program. CUX2 or whatever. It may be an attemot to reduce inventory. Assuming on PCM box type works for MANY PCM years/programs. They have less $$$ boxes on the shelf if you can burn the common box to the right year ....

Doug

Old 08-25-2002 | 11:28 AM
Post removed by webmaster...
You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this BB, or its email or private messaging functionality, to post any material which is knowingly illegal, false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law. You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this BB.

Last edited by webmaster; 08-25-2002 at 11:32 AM.
Old 08-25-2002 | 11:43 AM
|
Well, if what you guys say is true--this dealership shouldve known right away that the PCM needed to be configured to my truck and not tried to play with the PATS first....obviously this just proves that this dealership service department should get with the program (no pun intended)!

Old 08-25-2002 | 11:46 AM
I'll be the first to admit many dealer techs are clueless on PATS stuff. I was the only guy at my dealer who knew how to proberly work on PATS systems. We even had two techs that went to Ford training for it, and they still had no clue.

Old 08-25-2002 | 12:48 PM
Thats almost like a kid who works at McDonalds, not knowing how to work the microwave. It just shouldn't happen!

-Mike

Old 08-27-2002 | 11:58 AM
Tell your dealership to look up TSB 01-06-2 PATS - Diagnostic Service Tips. This walks them through progamming keys, replacing PCMs, replacing clusters, etc. step-by-step for each vehicle line. It tells them exactly what to do and when. The information is out there - whether the techs decide to use it is up to them.

It sounds like they installed the new PCM without transferring the existing data from the old PCM. The cluster actually stores the keys on your truck so I don't understand how they decided the PCM needed replacing.......

Old 08-27-2002 | 01:18 PM
Originally posted by mecca
Thats almost like a kid who works at McDonalds, not knowing how to work the microwave. It just shouldn't happen!

-Mike
True story, my girlfriend went to BK:

g/f - "Can I have a bacon cheeseburger"
clerk - " we don't have that"
g/f - "but I always order that"
clerk - " we don't have that"
g/f - " alright then, can I have a cheeseburger"
clerk - "yes, would you like bacon on that?"

Very glad I wasn't there, it would not have been a pretty sight. Another story at Mickey D's

guy - "can I get a half a dozen chicken mcnuggets"
clerk - " I'm sorry, they only come in 6, 10, or 20 amounts"
guy - turned around a left.

The stories only goes to prove that there are idiots out there, and they have jobs.

HEVYRESQ - start going to a different dealership.

Quick Reply: This P.A.T.S. crap is getting old.....