Lightning

Boost Cooler 60 hp for $299?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2002, 10:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boost Cooler 60 hp for $299?

Anyone ever tried a boost cooler on a L? Here is the link to:http://www.snowperformance.net/

They boast 60+ hp for $299, could anyone enlighten me as to why the lightning community doesnt use these, pros and cons of the unit etc. Thanks for the help guys,
-Jeff

Old 08-26-2002, 10:35 AM
Banned
Welp, dont count on 60 HP. What these allow you to do, is increase boost whjile running Super Unleaded Fuel. However, there are some downsides to this setup. Ive known a few people with 4.6 Cobras with blowers who tried these ( diff manf ) and ended up flooding their engines, resulting in bent rods. No good.

The kit would really have to be designed and tested on a L with Dyno #'s to back up their claims. I for one wouldnt want to be the test mule. I would run 50/50 water/alcohol mixture only in this unit.

You could accomplish better results with an Intercooler mist system. Im working on this particular thing right now. I feel its much safer.

Also keep in mind the size of that small tank. You would be lucky to get about three 1/4 mile passes out of it. Something i would definately not consider for the street.

We are aftercooled. It works pretty good. Adding a water mist system to our intercooler would benefit us greatly. You also dont take the risk of spraying water/alc into your motor. Seems to be a better avenue to take imho.

Old 08-26-2002, 11:22 AM
I currently have been running the Boost Cooler setup for about 3 months now. The base kit does not work weel on our Lightnings.

I have put together a Lightning including - New Rubber Boot and WOT switch which are not included in the Boost Cooler Kit. The 60 HP claim was made on a Turbocharged 93 Cobra mustang running 20+ PSI boost with no Intercooler. I have made modest gains running a 4# pulley and flip chip. 22HP on the Dyno running 50/50 Water/Meth. Mostly this system will benefit the Lightning Running 4# or more and a chip that has Capitalized on the Timing. I have ran 93 Octane fuel with system engaged on my Race tune requiring High Octane.
With no detonation at all and small 1/4 gains .1-.15.
The base system runs a 60PSI water Pump which much be used to properly atomize the mix before entering the Combustion process.

Thanks,

Jon Lund
Bear, DE

Last edited by Silver_2000; 08-28-2002 at 01:27 AM.
Old 08-27-2002, 12:48 PM
1JT
Here is a copy of an E-mail to the manufacture.
I have a 2001 F150 PU w/5.4 and a Vortech SC I am running 6-8psi of boost. Will the Boost Cooler work on this application? How much HP can I expect to gain? (current HP is 320) and what will your Positive Displacement upgrade do for me?

Re:
You wouldn't need the positive displacement upgrade running a vortech - it's for roots and twin screws. Keeping your boost the same, you can expect approx. 40HP with the Boost Cooler. This assumes you have a way to maximize timing with the new set up ( chip, timing adjuster etc.) Another option would be to leave your timing the same and increase boost ( 4-6 psi) - this option would net you approx 60 HP.
Thanks,
Matt

PS If you have any questions they are fast to respond

Old 08-28-2002, 12:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
. . . Keeping your boost the same, you can expect approx. 40HP with the Boost Cooler. This assumes you have a way to maximize timing with the new set up ( chip, timing adjuster etc.) Another option would be to leave your timing the same and increase boost ( 4-6 psi) - this option would net you approx 60 HP. . .
Exactly. Intercooling by itself produces very little power gain. The gains associated with intercooling come from increased boost, increased timing, or both.

It is flat dishonest to advertise a 60HP boost for $300. This does not account for the expense of the chip or pulley, which is the real power adder.

TLS

Old 08-28-2002, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by DustOff49
I currently have been running the Boost Cooler setup for about 3 months now. The base kit does not work weel on our Lightnings.

I have put together a Lightning including - New Rubber Boot and WOT switch which are not included in the Boost Cooler Kit. The 60 HP claim was made on a Turbocharged 93 Cobra mustang running 20+ PSI boost with no Intercooler. I have made modest gains running a 4# pulley and flip chip. 22HP on the Dyno running 50/50 Water/Meth. Mostly this system will benefit the Lightning Running 4# or more and a chip that has Capitalized on the Timing. I have ran 93 Octane fuel with system engaged on my Race tune requiring High Octane.
With no detonation at all and small 1/4 gains .1-.15.
The base system runs a 60PSI water Pump which much be used to properly atomize the mix before entering the Combustion process.

Thanks,

Jon Lund
Bear, DE
John

Please read the vendor rules at the top of every forum

I edited your post to remove marketing

Thanks
Doug

Old 08-28-2002, 10:40 AM
Their site says that the "boost cooler" will not result in a loss of boost "like an intercooler". This is BS. Any time you cool air and make it denser, you will decrease it's pressure.

I hope it's just marketing BS and they don't really believe it.

Old 08-29-2002, 01:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by lurker
Their site says that the "boost cooler" will not result in a loss of boost "like an intercooler". This is BS. Any time you cool air and make it denser, you will decrease it's pressure.

I hope it's just marketing BS and they don't really believe it.
Yes and no. While it is true that any cooling of the charge will cause some boost loss, most boost loss across an intercooler is in fact due to restriction.

But that site is so full of BS it is hard to know where to start. Where is the FTC when you need them?

TLS

Quick Reply: Boost Cooler 60 hp for $299?