Lightning

160 degree thermostat install

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2002 | 11:53 PM
|
160 degree thermostat install

Just got my thermostat in today, I was wondering if anyone had some info on how to install it. Do I have to drain my radiator? Pics would help alot, thanks,
-Jeff

Old 08-27-2002 | 12:04 AM
wait for the engine to cool.

and its under the throttle cables. un-bolt and install, re-bolt you're done. almost as easy as putting gas in the tank

Old 08-27-2002 | 12:07 AM
Not all the way

You should not have to drain it all the way just below the level of the housing for the T-stat so say half way to be safe the just take off hose(just side to housing) and housing (dont lose O-ring) pop the new bad boy in tighten it up fill the coolant res again and your good to go

Good luck
Slick
sorry no pics

Old 08-27-2002 | 02:37 AM
Thumbs up Thermostat

I just installed my 170* thermostat last weekend and it was very easy to do. It took me about 30 minutes from start to finish.
the first thing to do is drain the radiator about half way, then remove the throttle cable and shift cable, unbolt the bracket that hold both cables from the bottom of the throttle body and move out of the way ( 2- 10 mm nuts ) next remove the bolt from the top of the thermostat housing that holds the power steering bracket ( 8 mm bolt ) next unbolt the thermostat housing ( 2 long 10 mm bolts ) carefully move the power steering bracket to the right while removing the thermostat housing pull the old thermostat out and put the new one in and put it all back together in reverse order refill with antifreeze and your done.

Larry.

Old 08-27-2002 | 08:11 AM
With the eng/radiator cold, attach a vacuum hose to the nipple next to the drain nut on the lower rt. corner of the radiator and drain out(you need a low-sided container) 1 1/2-2 gals of coolant. This way, you won't spill a drop when you remove the 'stat'. After the install, start the eng. up and pour the coolant back into the reservoir. Pat self on the back .

Dan

Old 08-27-2002 | 10:01 PM
just do it fast, housing stays put even with both bolts out,make sure everything you need is close ,yank ,swap and tighten down,did mine twice because o ring was a pain in the *** and I still only lost maybe a cup,then i just rinsed motor with light water mist and drove it dry.

Quick Reply: 160 degree thermostat install