Lightning

Test drove a couple L's, kinda disappointed?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2002, 07:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

I used to be a 5.0L 5speed kind of guy. And used to think I had a quick car because of all the "action" when driving it. I could cut really good lights with the front swaybar removed and my experience in running it down the 1/4. With the steep gears I was banging the gears/tires pretty hard and it quite fun.

It was a blast.

But when I drove the Lighting for the first time I could tell it was muscular but was not overwhellmed like I was with my old 5.0L stang.

BUT THEN! When I was at the track and running against other stangs that had similiar mods to mine? You realize how quick these things really are. It's just not nearly as dramatic.

If you want a better comparison? figure out the power to weight ratio differance between a stock lightning and your MR2. Sand bag your MR2 to match. THEN go drive the Lightning again and you'll see how well it handles the weight!

WOT

Old 08-27-2002, 07:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

I remember from back about two years ago, someone posted about "perceived speed" and the difference between being a few FEET above the ground vs. being a few INCHES above the ground. Maybe not analogous to getting pushed back into the seat but it may figure in???

Believe it or not, these trucks will astound you the more you drive one .

Dan

Old 08-27-2002, 07:54 AM
Luckily for me, I didn't know what to expect so I was surprised to feel that kind of power in a truck. And...

since it's a truck, I think it just feels slower than a car. Because it sits higher maybe. The best I ever ran in my Cobra was 13.0's but it still felt faster than running 12.20's in my L.

As wydopnthrtl stated, the difference between a stick and an automatic can make a big difference on how fast it feels too.

Old 08-27-2002, 08:25 AM
I was also a little dissapointed in the L when I first picked it up from the dealer...it just didn't have that 'punch' that my Cobra did. However, after running it over the same roads that I drove my Cobra, I realized the L was actually faster in many areas, especially coming out of corners. The L doesn't have a flat spot in its powerband, so you don't realize how much quicker you're coming out of the corner. I can drive the L much faster with my wife aboard than I ever could drive my Cobra, simply because there's no drama.

Old 08-27-2002, 08:32 AM
I can't believe what I am hearing! My L felt much faster than my '97 Cobra the first time I got behind the wheel! And my Cobra had 3:73s, CAI, and an offroad H-Pipe! The Cobra would pull as hard as the L once it got going, but damn, the L was noticably faster down low. LOCOSVT, did you have a blower on your Cobra???

Old 08-27-2002, 08:43 AM
Wink

MR2QUIK,
How quick is your MR2? The reason I ask is because I have one. My best time was a 12.6 @ 116 mph with a stock motor with bolt ons and a 50 shot. I was having a stroker motor built for it about 7 years ago, 110 over sleaved block, Dan Parramore did the head and the intake. a nice big turbo, I can't remember which model it was so long ago, I have a brand new '93 transaxle still sitting in the crate, new supra injectors, with 2 additional injectors, 6 point cage in it, tons of things that I woudn't remember unless I pulled out the file for it.
Anyway to make a long story short one day I came home from work and my car was sitting in my driveway unfinnished with 3 or so pallets of parts. The place in Mass. that was building the motor (Powerhouse Motors) closed shop and my car has never been touched since. Some day I hope to find someone that I can trust to finnish it.
Buy a Lightning, you won't be sorry.
Bill

Last edited by hdmlnium; 08-27-2002 at 09:07 AM.
Old 08-27-2002, 08:59 AM
Rest In Peace
Being high up in a Truck you dont feel the speed like you do in a Car. When you look down at the speedo on the Lightning you are at 80+mph in no time. My lightning threw me back into my seat stock. Get a chip, pulley, airfilter, you will be thrown back into the seat even more. Get a valve body/shift kit and you will need a whiplash collar for the shifts hehe .

Old 08-27-2002, 09:09 AM
If you floored it at about 30mph the truck downshifted into second, not first. Try driving the same truck and floor it at 20mph.. It will downshift into first and give you a better idea of the power it has.

Old 08-27-2002, 09:23 AM
MR2QUIK

I had a 97 Camaro SS 6 speed that I put 4.10 gears in from 3.42's. That combo would actually force the air out of your lungs when shifting at about 6000 rpm. I though my seatbacks would break. You'ld think it was a 11 second car; but, still only managed a 13.5 in the 1/4. The Lightning's accelleration is kind of decieving.

Old 08-27-2002, 09:35 AM
Suspended Pending Email Reply
Originally posted by MR2QUIK
Yeah I did, I didnt say the truck was slow, it's not. I figured it would throw you back in your seat. Like I said I guess thats the difference between a SC and a turbo. My firend drove the same truck a few weeks ago and said it was the fastest thing he'd ever driven, I guess that got me all pumped up. Im new to the Lightning but not to high hp cars. I know with a few mods it would be what I expected, but stock it's not. Sorry thats just my opinion.

Thats why I thought I'd ask you guys for your opinion's. You know more about them than I do.
MR2 - One of my friends put it best. He drives a Gen3 RX7, runs mid-12's. He said 'Wow, it doesn't feel like much... But it MOVES!'

For some reason, you don't feel the inertia like you do in a sports car. Trust us, though - it's moving. Like spankdog said, just watch the speedometer - it's moving as fast as the tach.

However, don't really compare the L to the MR2... The feel will NEVER match up. The truck, stock, was both faster than, and handled better than, my Stealth R/T Twin Turbo.... But you just don't FEEL it.

Also, another fun one - floor it around 45mph. It'll put you in your seat.

Chips and air intake make a TREMENDOUS difference in the feel of these things. I almost crapped my pants at the difference, just from cutting out my stock airbox!

Oh - and, I've taken all but 1 bike that I've come up against. MAN, that thing was fast... Nice 1100..... SMOKED me.

Old 08-27-2002, 09:41 AM
The best comparison I can think of is when I used to race Go-Karts.You would do 50 M.P.H. and it would feel like 80 M.P.H.
I am sure everybody has ridden in some form of a go-kart at one time ,so you know what I mean.

VINNIE

Old 08-27-2002, 09:47 AM
I agree with most the comments here.............the flat torque curve will be very deceiving, however you will feel it pulling like a freight train once you get into illegal speeds

Go on a nice stretch of land, punch it at 50, it'll downshift to 2nd, and before you realize it you'll be pulling to 110.............and believe you me brother, with just a chip and a valve body, this thing rocks so much more than stock..............Can't wait for my pulley........

BTW, your MR2 looks killer bro..................I always loved that body style. Are you keeping the MR2 after you get the L also?? That's one hell of a garage!!!

JC

Old 08-27-2002, 09:52 AM
Chip, pulley, and filter and you'll be like nevermind this post guys, HAHAHAHHAHA.

I Hope you get one cause your going to love it!

Keep the MR2 also, that would be sweet!

Old 08-27-2002, 09:53 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Unhappy

Hey Vinnie, my buddy with the Legends car got tangled up last Saturday and something broke. One more lap and he had no brakes or steering. Into the wall he went. He didn't get hurt but, it's a parts car now.

Season over.

Old 08-27-2002, 09:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
...Dont forget, women dont like those lil ricey cars. Get the L--your "lil guy" will thank you later!!!!

Quick Reply: Test drove a couple L's, kinda disappointed?