Lightning

Insurance - Bend over

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2002 | 10:31 PM
|
Angry Insurance - Bend over

I am pi$$ed. My insurance out here in MI keeps going up...every year...for NO REASON. No tickets, accidents anything. It went up $400 this year!!!

I shopped around everywhere intent to ditch my company for screwing me over, but no where else is any cheaper. The insurance has gone up to $2400 a year, the Lightning being $1600 of that.

What a crock.

Old 08-27-2002 | 10:40 PM
That's about the same as ours.....with all the discounts (multi vehicle, multi policy, etc.)

Old 08-27-2002 | 10:52 PM
Most insurance companies rate different zip codes in cities different territory..

For ex..You may live in zip code 00001 which is a symbol 10
00002 which is a symbol 11
00003 which is a symbol 12

10 may be the cheapest place to insure where 12 may be the highest..

The newest part of town is usually the cheapest place to live..If you live in the old town part of the city..it is usually the highest.

Your territory may have took a rate increase across the board..And the insurance companies territory ratings have to be filed with the state insurance board.

The loss/claims ratio's are all determined by math genius's called actuators..and they look at the number of claims that come in over the last few years in a territory and decide if there is a dramatic increase and adjust rates accordingly.

So where you live may have had a ton of claims over the last few years..Albeit wrecks..Storms..etc...

So you could call your state insurance commisioner and ask if this has happened..If so your probably screwed..and if you were thinking of moving..Now may be the time.

Shop like crazy though..You may need to go through a company that is based out of your state that hasnt had the changes..That may be your only way..

I am an agent..And this is all the advice I can give.you..Short of the big risk of raising your deductibles to the max..and rolling the dice..

I agree it sucks..We as agents hate it..Cause Yeah yeah it creates more premium..But the gain is about nil cause as many people leave as stay...so it balances out..You never want to lose a customer..Especially when you have no control..

Good luck on the search..I am captive to my state of KS or I would give you a quote!!

Matt

Old 08-27-2002 | 10:53 PM
checkout farmers ins. my 01 lightning is only 579.00 every six months with a 200/500 deductable

Old 08-27-2002 | 10:54 PM
I pay around 1500.00 a year for the L in michigan on a multi car/truck discount with two points.
Then i change it to stored insurance from november until the end of march and they kick back 5-600.00 or so.

Old 08-27-2002 | 11:00 PM
95 Saleen S351

Are you a member of a credit union. I know you work in the Downriver area. Sign up with Dearborn Ferderal Credit Union. We get about 18% discount through AAA. I pay just under a grand a year. Check it out.

Old 08-27-2002 | 11:01 PM
|
Great info DEIMATT thanks. Unfortunately I live sort of in the boonies....no crime area..so I imagine that this is about as cheap as it gets around here...I know I would be paying even more in dearborn.

I lower the insurance on the stang in the winter...but the Lightning is my daily driver...so I gotta keep insurance on that. Maybe I should get a beater and insure that and switch the L to a pleasure driver....would that make much difference?

I got about 8 different quotes tonight...and they were all between 2400 and 4500...it is just insane.

Maybe I should just lower it from 100/300 to something lower.

Still2slow...I checked farmers..they were over $3 grand! Ugh...I hate being under 25. It is such crap that they can charge you more by age...and sex...what next..by race? Really now.

I guess this is the price I have to pay to live near such a beautifull bustleing city (detroit)!

Old 08-27-2002 | 11:02 PM
0 points (fought all tickets just to get points erased) $80 a month downriver and I'm 22 can't beat it as far as I'm concerned.

~Toast

Old 08-27-2002 | 11:03 PM
|
Thanks BadBolt,

I am a member of DFCU and have some platinum credit cards and am a member of an honor society from college...but those discounts didn't help with AAA. The lightning price to insure was a couple hundred less than my current company but their rate for the mustang was double.

Whitetoast - that rate is incredible! Who are you with?

I don't think points matter anymore..insurance companies seem to be able to know if you have had tickets in the last 3-5 years even if there are no points on your license.
What's up with that?

Old 08-27-2002 | 11:05 PM
Welcome to the Soviet Republik of Michigan, aka "no fault". When my company moved their tech center from Chicago to Michigan, one of the concerns for me against moving to MI was the extreme costs of auto insurance. Moving from the Chicago 'burbs to the "Motor City" 'burbs meant an increase in car insurance of +50%. UGH! no thanx.

You might want to look into consolidating your insurance policies. If you currently have all your policies with different companies, see if moving them all to one agent would net you a decent rate decrease. We have all our policies with the same agent (2 cars, 2 bikes, 1 trailer, home) and our rates are actually pretty good. And we get good service, since a bad experience might mean moving everything to another agent.

Old 08-27-2002 | 11:24 PM
Saleen!!!!

Do not repeat do not lower your liabilty limits..THat protects your rear if you really smack somebody..Law suits are much more expensive than deductibles..

I cant figure that out..You live in rural? You still might be in a high territory rating..that is the only thing I can figure if all the companies are high..

I do not like their customer service at all..But AAA may be worth a shot..They are lowballing some areas to try to get market penetration..I am sure they will shoot up within a year..but it may be worth a try..Farmers is taking huge hits right now..I am getting rich from all their old customers...LOL

Have you tried Farm Bureau? Shelter? If you have a clean record these two should give a good rate.

Try Farm Bureau and Shelter..Let me know how they go..Try not to do on-line quotes..Talk to an actual agent..They understand and will do all possible to get you the lowest rate..Try writing some renters insurance or home insurance too for some supporting insurance for more discounts..

Let me know..Deimatt@aol.com

Old 08-27-2002 | 11:28 PM
Originally posted by 95 Saleen S351
Thanks BadBolt,

I am a member of DFCU and have some platinum credit cards and am a member of an honor society from college...but those discounts didn't help with AAA. The lightning price to insure was a couple hundred less than my current company but their rate for the mustang was double.

Whitetoast - that rate is incredible! Who are you with?

I don't think points matter anymore..insurance companies seem to be able to know if you have had tickets in the last 3-5 years even if there are no points on your license.
What's up with that?
Points are a thing of the past with insurance companies..We now access the national database for MVR's for all states..We can see every ticket and accident in the past 5 years..And how much your insurance company paid on your claim..Big BROTHER!! You can tell them what you want..But we will know..No hiding anything..We all have an internal points system.but that state points system crud is over..

Old 08-27-2002 | 11:38 PM
My dad used to remind me:

"Blame the doctors, blame the AMA, blame the hospitals, blame the drug companies, but if you want to see where all the big money goes see who has the biggest buildings."

Insurance companies.

Old 08-28-2002 | 12:26 AM
Beleive it or not I'm with AAA,,,plus the stereo and rims are included with the theft insurance. I'll have to check with my insurance agent,, but I beleive its one of the perks of the bagel business.

~Toast

Old 08-28-2002 | 01:35 AM
Daaaaaang! Some of you are gettin' taken to the cleaners on insurance!! WOW!! I pay $750 a year for full coverage, but mine is not a daily driver and I have it listed as a "recreational" vehicle. I think that helps alot. Ive had mine 1 1/2 years and have 7900 miles on it. I think they limit you on the mileage when you insure them this way, but I cant remember what the mileage limit is! Oh yeah, Im insured with Allstate. Maybe this info. will help some of you out.

Quick Reply: Insurance - Bend over