Lightning

Explain: dual fuel pumps???

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2002 | 01:20 AM
|
Explain: dual fuel pumps???

well I hope I don't look like a complete idiot here, but I'm going to ask it anyway. I understand that the L has 2 fuel pumps located in the gas tank. My question to forum is.. Are the pumps plumbed in parallel of each other (so If one fails you still get fuel delivery, so that you dont have blower dumping mass quantities of air without any fuel)?
OR Is one of the pumps for a return line to the tank??
OR Does 1 pump simply not supply enough volume of fuel for these thirsty beasts??

Basically if someone could explain the need for 2 pumps thats what I'm looking for. I guess I'm used to working on old cars with 1 fuel pump and it was ran off the cam.

Old 08-28-2002 | 01:27 AM
The correct answer ist one pump is not enough to satisfy the beasts, but TWO is plenty. (actually the SAME reason my truck is in for service, one of the lines from one of the pumps came off, and My truck doesn't run. )

a 255lph pump (biggest INTANK i know of can support about 400ho, obviously on anygiven day our trucks can make more than this, soo external pumps are not or any significance as they will not last teh term a intank will (attributed having to PUSH fuel vs PULL fuel from a lower tank. So two pumps were used.

hope this helps
Brandon

Old 08-28-2002 | 10:35 AM
a 255 can support way more than 400 hp,

i was making 600 on my cobra with a 255 pump

i believe our pumps are 1..'s something like dual 155's,

sal has a replacement for 2 255's though, good for extra protection in case one fails.

Quick Reply: Explain: dual fuel pumps???