Lightning

Tranny Guys Chime In...

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2002 | 05:52 PM
|
Question Tranny Guys Chime In...

My truck shifts pretty hard with the Superchip in it....I was looking at the Tranny upgrade by PSP--the replacement valve body. Is it worth it or should I put the money somewhere else--The bigger pulley and TB are already next--but Im not sure wether to go ahead with the valve body or not---Thanks in advance!!!

Keep the forum strong!

Old 09-15-2002 | 06:00 PM
I am about to buy the valve body, because I don't like the chip raising the line pressure and possibly wearing out the pump in the tranny. With the valve body your shift firmness will be controlled mechanically and it will not stress the pump........Be sure and reburn your chip so you dont have firm shifts from the valve body and the line pressure raised.....

Old 09-15-2002 | 06:02 PM
|
See, now I asked JDM if I needed to reburn the chip for it, and they said "no".......SO ANY OTHER INFO FROM ANYONE WOULD BE A GREAT HELP!!!!

Thanks again

Old 09-15-2002 | 06:15 PM
Well, you dont need to, but IMO, that is what the valve body is for, releiving stress from the pump while maintaining the firm shifts (probably better shifts - I hate the sloppiness in the chip's shift firmness). If you dont reburn it, you will have the firmness you have now + the firmness from the valve body (I'm 90% sure, anyone correct me if i'm wrong)

I asked JDM many months ago wether or not their chips raise the line pressure..........their answer "no, our chips shorten the shift duration, not the line pressure" of course my next question was, "but I thought you shorten the duration by raising the line pressure?" they didn't reply to that one........ I talk to them a few weeks ago and the same person that told me 8 or so months ago that it did NOT raise pressure, told me it did...........

So for about 8 months I thought I had the only chip that didn't raise line pressure, only 'shortened the shift duration'...........while the whole time the pump in the trans was being over-worked.

Old 09-15-2002 | 06:15 PM
I "USE TO" have a program that raised the tranny pressure dangerously high. "YOU DO NOT WANT THAT" It will eventually take it's toll on your tranny. Go with the tranny mod and get a new burn. I had my chip reburned as soon as I found out how bad it was for the tranny, "and I haven't even done the tranny mod yet".

Old 09-15-2002 | 07:18 PM
JBL,

No JDM chip raises line pressure at all. The stock setting for shift duration form Ford is 400 ms, we cut that down to 200 ms. I repeat no JDM chip raises line pressure unless specifically asked toa nd then we warn the person about over working the pump. It is completely safe to shorten the duration time.

Justin@JDM

Old 09-15-2002 | 07:39 PM
in my opinion yes do the valve body if i had done the valve body 1st than i might not have burned up the 2nd gear clutch packs along w/ the 3rd gear clutches and i warped the overdrive drum (from the heat) and glazed the 1st gear clutches in all seriousness i believe it all could have been prolonged w/ the valve body

i'm currently a new member of the factory tech monster box club

i'm not saying its full proof cause when you start making more power you'll start seeing the need for upgraded parts

Old 09-15-2002 | 07:44 PM
HEVYRESQ

Are you in the fire service?
Just asking due to your sign on name.

Go with a Factory Tech valve body, 1st to 2nd gear shifts will bring tire spinning results and all without dangerous trans pressures.

Thanks
Firefighter106

Old 09-15-2002 | 07:51 PM
I was a little afraid to open this thread up. With that title, I didn't know what I would find.

I had my shift points lowered to 5250 with my last reburn and, with the Factory Tech piece, it feels amazingly stronger at the shifts. This seems to keep me in the power band a little better. No line pressure increase, which apparently, you already do not have.

Last edited by Odin's Wrath; 09-15-2002 at 08:55 PM.
Old 09-15-2002 | 08:52 PM
Originally posted by 2000F250V10
JBL,

No JDM chip raises line pressure at all. The stock setting for shift duration form Ford is 400 ms, we cut that down to 200 ms. I repeat no JDM chip raises line pressure unless specifically asked toa nd then we warn the person about over working the pump. It is completely safe to shorten the duration time.

Justin@JDM
I was told over the phone that the chip raises line pressure. How do you shorten the shift duration without changing the line pressure?? I find it hard to believe that line pressure is not raised......unless it is raised on the race side of my chip only.......because one side shifts hard, the other shifts "short". I've never really been sure which is the race side because they seem to be equal in power but they just shift different...........

Old 09-15-2002 | 08:56 PM
HEVYRESQ: DO THE FACTORY TECH VALVEBODY...You'll love it, or i'll give your money back!!!!

Old 09-15-2002 | 10:19 PM
|
Im probably gonna CHIK...but DO I NEED THE REBURN????

TOO many people with TOO many different views...

-not that its a bad thing--thats whats great about this forum--LOTS of info. But in this case, theres too much...WILL SOMEONE PLEASE SET THE RECORD STRAIGHT!!!!

--its great to see the tuners and vendors get in on these types of discussions--but even they have different information at times--so lil help here?????

Thanks for all the feedback!

Old 09-15-2002 | 10:49 PM
No Re-burn Needed!!!! My line pressure is only slightly higher than normal!!! And if your chip DOESN'T add any line pressure, then you DEFINATELY DO NOT NEED A RE-BURN!!!!!

Old 09-15-2002 | 11:14 PM
Re: Tranny Guys Chime In...

Originally posted by HEVYRESQ
My truck shifts pretty hard with the Superchip in it....

If his truck shifts hard with his Superchip ........... how can his line pressure not be raised????????

How can you shorten the duration w/o raising line pressure???

Old 09-15-2002 | 11:54 PM
Originally posted by JBLsilver01
I am about to buy the valve body, because I don't like the chip raising the line pressure and possibly wearing out the pump in the tranny. With the valve body your shift firmness will be controlled mechanically and it will not stress the pump........valve
Can someone tell me HOW the pump is being "overworked"? The pump gears are engauged onto the converter hub which is welded to the converter shell which is bolted to the flywheel.
The pump is going to turn the same rpm and have the same overall output regerdless of the line pressure(controlled by the EPC sol.in the sol.body.)

"How can you shorten the duration w/o raising line pressure???"

By changing the spring rate in the corrisponding accumulator valve.

Quick Reply: Tranny Guys Chime In...