Lightning

Anyone with Johnny Lightning Line mod valve?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2002, 08:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone with Johnny Lightning Line mod valve?

if you have a JLP line mod, how do you like it? i have one sitting in my closet and im trying to decide whether to just try it out or buy the factory tech valve body. im kinda leaning towards just installing it and seeing how i like it. just curious how others like it.

Old 09-18-2002, 07:27 AM
I got it, it shifts pretty hard, but i love it

Old 09-18-2002, 07:35 AM
I just ordered mine Monday, hopfully I will get to install it this weekend along with my 4x4 tranny pan & filter. I also considered the FTVB, which I know is better, but I wanted to try the $40 line valve before spending $200 on the FTVB.

I will let you guys know all about it after the install!

Old 09-18-2002, 07:58 AM
It will work great till the paks are glazed, then it be just as mushy as the stock setup. have fun while it lasts.

joe

Old 09-18-2002, 08:37 AM
Question

Hmmmmmmmmm $200 is less than $240..................

Dan

Old 09-18-2002, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by 02Thunder
It will work great till the paks are glazed, then it be just as mushy as the stock setup. have fun while it lasts.
I would think it would help prevent the clutch packs from becoming glazed due to less slip?? But what do I know

Check out this thread over at ****** concerning this.

Dan: yeah, I just decided to try the line $40 line mod valve instead of the $200 VB. If I am not happy with the results, I will get the VB. Just a little experimentation

Last edited by 01Lightning; 09-18-2002 at 08:53 AM.
Old 09-18-2002, 10:09 AM
I have one with the deeper tranny pan and I love the way it shifts now, though if I get on it hard and don't heat up the F1's they spin at each shift. A cheaper mod than the valve body since both decrease your tranny life I'd spend less or put the $200 toward building up the tranny to handle the torque and horsepower of your truck.

Last edited by min150mph; 09-18-2002 at 10:38 AM.
Old 09-18-2002, 10:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by min150mph
A cheap mod that won't decrease your tranny life nearly as much as the valve body would.
Ok, I gotta hear this one . Care to elaborate on your statement?

Old 09-18-2002, 10:28 AM
Bottom line...

Line Mod Valves
Complete Valve Bodies
Shift Kits
Chips with Increased Line Pressure

These will all thrash a transmission over time. Some faster than others. And doing anything short of rebuilding with built internals (i.e. Kevlar or other hi-po material'd clutches and steels, hardened shafts, etc) any transmission will fail from the torque and the racing conditions we put them through.

So if any "Tuner" or "Builder" tells you their's is special, mark the calendar date down, and start counting your days. It will happen, its the nature of the sport.

joe

Old 09-18-2002, 10:32 AM
That is why we all should leave in the torque reduction in our programs. It is there for a reason. Removing the torque reduction is probably MUCH more detrimental to the tranny than any shift kit. Instead of completely removing the TR, maybe reducing the duration would be better.
Shift kits are supposed to EXTEND the tranny life, not shorten.

Last edited by 01Lightning; 09-18-2002 at 10:34 AM.
Old 09-18-2002, 10:36 AM
All I meant was no matter what you put in there you're going to decrease your tranny life, so why not go the cheaper way. It was clear to me when I wrote it, but when I read it again it came out wrong. It's edited now.

Last edited by min150mph; 09-18-2002 at 10:46 AM.
Old 09-18-2002, 10:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any device that makes the shift of an automatic vehicle occur faster, does NOT lessen the life of the transmission. In stock form, the engagement of the clutch packs has a certain amount of "slip" engineered into it. The vehicle manufacturers base how much slip on what type of vehicle. A Mustang for example, will have much less slip of the packs because it's a "performance" car, and it's expected to have a firm engagement. However a Cadillac or a Lincoln has tons of slip, because it's a luxury car and the customer should feel as little of the shift as possible. That's why most luxury cars need trannys around 100k. Slippage causes extra wear on the clutch discs, and also causes hot trans fluid temps. By making the shift occur faster, you limit slip, and therefore you have less wear on the clutches, and lower fluid temps.

Old 09-18-2002, 11:03 AM
so it is actually the xtra horsepower and torque we are adding that's reducing the tranny life then?

Old 09-18-2002, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by LightningTuner
Any device that makes the shift of an automatic vehicle occur faster, does NOT lessen the life of the transmission. In stock form, the engagement of the clutch packs has a certain amount of "slip" engineered into it. The vehicle manufacturers base how much slip on what type of vehicle. A Mustang for example, will have much less slip of the packs because it's a "performance" car, and it's expected to have a firm engagement. However a Cadillac or a Lincoln has tons of slip, because it's a luxury car and the customer should feel as little of the shift as possible. That's why most luxury cars need trannys around 100k. Slippage causes extra wear on the clutch discs, and also causes hot trans fluid temps. By making the shift occur faster, you limit slip, and therefore you have less wear on the clutches, and lower fluid temps.
That is the way I had understood it also, based upon Gregg's article on your site Sal..............seeing as how we're on this subject now anyway, can someone chime in on the relationship between "torque reduction" and "line pressure". In other words, I know that the 8cyl to 4cyl drop on WOT shifts is to save tranny life, but how do tuner chips eliminate this.....is it by:

1.) increasing line pressure
2.) reduction of clutch pack slip duration
3.) elimination of the 8-4 cyl drop
4.) all of the above
5.) some of the above

Hope I'm not getting way off track from the original post.....If I am, I apologize to the original thread starter.........but this is something I have never really been to clear on, and this sounds like the perfect thread to discuss this.

thx again,
JC

Old 09-18-2002, 11:09 AM
A chip can be programmed to shorten or eliminate the torque reduction (cylinder drop) between shifts, but you will want to quicken the shifts to reduce slippage by increasing the line pressure (also by programming the chip) or by installing a device to do this mechanically, such as a shift kit (better alternative). However, if you install a shift kit you do not want the program to increase line pressure or the shifts will be 'violent'.

I plan on getting a chip with a shortened (but not eliminated) TR and no line pressure increase to go along with my line mod valve that will soon be installed.

Last edited by 01Lightning; 09-18-2002 at 11:16 AM.

Quick Reply: Anyone with Johnny Lightning Line mod valve?