Lightning

4lb pulley worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2002 | 08:26 PM
|
Question 4lb pulley worth it?

hey guys, 02 lightning here, i have the filter, trans mod, & jdm j49 chip.....1900 miles.....i live in CT the weather is good this time of year, been in the 70's, 60's and 50's at night with low humidity. my question is would it be worth it to put a 4lb pulley on? stock my truck would spin all of first from a stop and now with the chip puts 2nd gear up in smoke too. from 40mph or less roll the tires spin when i stomp it and then the *** kicks out hard in second almost losing control. now if i get a 4lb pulley wont it just add to the problem? sure it would be fun to smoke the tires at will but is it worth the extra stress on the truck? if my *** end kicks out almost uncontrolably now shifting into second with the pulley it will probably break traction all together right? does everyone elses truck do this to without a pulley? or do i just have a strong truck? should i maybe go with a 2 or 3 pound pulley? or just leave it the way it is? i have around 10#'s give or take on a cool night right now.

Old 09-19-2002 | 08:37 PM
Re: 4lb pulley worth it?

Originally posted by wkuper11
hey guys, 02 lightning here, i have the filter, trans mod, & jdm j49 chip.....1900 miles.....i live in CT the weather is good this time of year, been in the 70's, 60's and 50's at night with low humidity. my question is would it be worth it to put a 4lb pulley on? stock my truck would spin all of first from a stop and now with the chip puts 2nd gear up in smoke too. from 40mph or less roll the tires spin when i stomp it and then the *** kicks out hard in second almost losing control. now if i get a 4lb pulley wont it just add to the problem? sure it would be fun to smoke the tires at will but is it worth the extra stress on the truck? if my *** end kicks out almost uncontrolably now shifting into second with the pulley it will probably break traction all together right? does everyone elses truck do this to without a pulley? or do i just have a strong truck? should i maybe go with a 2 or 3 pound pulley? or just leave it the way it is? i have around 10#'s give or take on a cool night right now.
Yeah, OK. If you "almost lose control" now w/out a pulley, & @ 40 mph it "goes up in smoke" when you floor it, & don't forget that you're already in the 10's w/out a pulley, you don't need a pulley you need an adult in the room when you're online.

Old 09-19-2002 | 08:37 PM
You should have started out with the pulley because now, if you add one any bigger than a 2lber, you'll have to have your chip reburned. Yes, "it will add to the problem" but it's a good problem to have. Just don't overdue the WOT runs and you should be OK(see sig.)

I started out 'wrong' too but in a different way. I started with a 2lber, then a 3lber, and now I'm up to 5 lbs extra boost. Your stock boost gauge can't be trusted to be accurate so you may have 10 lbs now or you might not.......

Dan

Old 09-19-2002 | 09:00 PM
Yeah, OK. If you "almost lose control" now w/out a pulley, & @ 40 mph it "goes up in smoke" when you floor it, & don't forget that you're already in the 10's w/out a pulley, you don't need a pulley you need an adult in the room when you're online.
2002, he wasn't saying that his truck was in the 10's right now, he was saying that he has about 10 pounds of boost right now.

Old 09-19-2002 | 09:06 PM
|
right, i my stock boost gauge reads 10 or so on a cool night, not im running 10's and i dont go up in smoke from a 40 roll, i spin through second from a dead stop. maybe hes the one who needs adult supervision. =O)

Old 09-19-2002 | 09:54 PM
Re: 4lb pulley worth it?

Originally posted by wkuper11
from 40mph or less roll the tires spin when i stomp it and then the *** kicks out hard in second almost losing control.
OK, I see the 10 lbs, not 10's. I'm still not sure about the above quote, but will give the benefit of the doubt. The concluding statement about the 10's that I simply missed. Sorry wkuper11, my bad.

Old 09-19-2002 | 10:03 PM
wkuper11
If you get the JDM interchangable pulley you can start with a 2 lbs pulley and if you decide later you want more just get the 4 pounder. It is as easy as unbolting a few screws.

You will feel a increase in power with just a 2# pulley and won't have to worry about stressing the engine.

By the way go over to the NorthEast Lightning Owners section of NLOC and say hi.

http://www.nloc.net/forum/forumdispl...s=&forumid=455

Old 09-19-2002 | 10:24 PM
|
from 40mph or less roll the tires spin when i stomp it and then the *** kicks out hard in second almost losing control.

02 f150svt, i mean from 40 mph or less, which means when i floor it, it still downshifts into first, when it downshifts into first the tires will spin pretty bad, and when it hits second it loses traction and the *** end kicks out pretty bad(almost to the point of having to let off the throttle to regain control) almost like driving my 5spd mustang again, this was on a really cool night, couple days ago, probably like 55 degrees or so. this is right after i installed the chip, i have no spare/trailer hitch and was under quarter tank fuel so that probably didnt help. i just dont want to go out and get a 4lb pulley, waste one of my free reburns on the chip, only to spin all the extra power away, in effect making the truck slower. the truck feels fast as hell right now, would love to dyno, track test, or g-tech it. but extra time is rare cause school & work.

Old 09-19-2002 | 10:27 PM
I found my truck "USE TO" Launch the best with just 2LB of pulley added. Then I could WOT it from a stop, burn but not smoke the tires, hook up quickly and then take off like a Bolt of Lightning.
Now that I added another 4LB's on the Bottom, on top of the 2LB Upper, it absolutely roast's the tires through 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, without going anywhere :o( By the time it finally hooks up 200 ft later all I did was burn another couple of thousand miles off my
F-1's. All this talk about NOT WOT too long with the amount of Boost I have outright scares me, especially since I like to blast it up to 130/140 every now and then. I have been extremly careful with WOT TOO LONG ever since I added 4 on top of 2 but now my quest is "TO NOT BURN" off the line, which is not an easy task. I have to use the F-1's due to the NY winters (ice, snow)
My boost goes completely into the tach area if you WOT and I have every bit of 16+ Lbs now. I had 9 stock, 11 with the By-pass, Air Induction and Chip, then like 12-13 with the Upper, and now well over 15 with the added Lower. I also HAVE NOT done the tranny fix or valve body because I know it'll get worse. But once I start to get some more miles on it I know I have to do it to protect the tranny. I truly DO NOT BEAT THE HELL OUT OF IT but absolutly do show it's power on a daily basis. I only got @6K on it and I'm currently working on what I call my one two launch. I punch it hard "and quickly" BUT ONLY TO LIKE 1/8-1/4 Throttle, enough to transfer the weight quickly to the rear tires BUT NOT BURNING THEM, then within a split second I SLAM that SOB to the floor and take off like a bat out of hell without every spinning the tires. I'm ready to attempt it at the track and expect to run 12.7-12.8 the way it is. After I re-do the suspension, lower it, and add some tricks back there, I should be able to run a 12.5-12.6 with a good set of slicks.

Old 09-19-2002 | 10:47 PM
|
i love doing WOT blasts up to 120+ too. and have also heard not to stay at WOT long once you add boost, leaning out on the top end i guess, what is the largest pulley you can put on without having to worry about top end runs leaning you out? i'm kinda leaning towards putting a 2or3#er on, i plan on adding a 50-75 wet shot next spring anyways and dont want to over do it, but then again thats what we all say.

Old 09-19-2002 | 10:51 PM

Quick Reply: 4lb pulley worth it?