Lightning

Could the sound of pinging be mistaken by the sound of something else in your engine?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2002, 12:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could the sound of pinging be mistaken by the sound of something else in your engine?

How can you be certain that the sound of what appears to be a slight ping is actually that and not something else?

Old 09-20-2002, 05:57 PM
Anyone know this one?

Old 09-20-2002, 06:45 PM
I GUESS it might/could be the one of the primary timing chains or their tensioners. I f the guide assembly that the timing chain rides against is worn, I guess it cause a 'pinging' sound or the tensioner plunger could be stuck There is a way to check for this but it requires taking the timing cover and chains off of the front of the eng. Lot's of work and time..............

Is your eng. oil fresh and the correct viscosity?

And then, you might be 'obsessing' over nothing........???

Dan

Old 09-20-2002, 06:54 PM
Thanks Dan, there is a pinging noise for sure, wheather it si pinging or something else, I don't know. I am using Mobil Supersyn 5w30 with a K&N oil filter. Changed about 3800 miles ago June 10th. I am going to get some oil today and the K&N filter and chage it again. You need a special machine to clean the combustion chamber right? The pinging sound is less noticable after the engine cleaner formula

Quick Reply: Could the sound of pinging be mistaken by the sound of something else in your engine?