Lightning

Has anyone ever raced a Bullitt mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2002 | 10:07 AM
OT sorta but heres 40 or so Bullits on the track at once

Old 09-23-2002 | 11:34 AM
Originally posted by LARM1
I think the Bullitt was pretty lame. It didn't resemble the car from the Steve McQueen movie whatsoever. And it was basically nothing but cosmetic additions and the limited edition factor to owning one. Even more ridiculous was that they decided to make them in dark blue and black. The Bullitt was highland green, and should only be highland green. As for it being the best handling mustang ever...I think that's a very bold statement. You should take a ride in a 96-98 Cobra. I won't mention the Cobra R, because it really isn't production car, but we all know how well that thing handles.

I'm glad Ford is finally stepping to the plate with the 2003 Cobra, and the new Mach 1, because the Bullitt was, in my opinion, a waste of time. Sort of like the late 70's, early 80's Cobras and Cobra II's. There's also been mention of a new Boss being added to the lineup. The death of the F-body sure has brought Ford's pony department out of the woodwork.

As for the WRX's...they're fairly slow. I raced one twice in a bone stock 99 GT Convertible with an AOD tranny and beat it fairly easily. Pulled about 6-8 cars on the other guy by about 100mph. The 99 GT had 32k miles on it, and not one mod, on kicked tires nonetheless. I don't know how it would have went if I just punched it in drive...may have only had 3 or so cars on it, but when I raced that car I'd usually put it down in low 1 and launch around 1500 R's and shift around 6k (I love leased cars ). But the moral is...they're not too fast, even when driven right. I guess you could always use the ricer argument and tell me it gets better gas mileage and makes more ponies per liter...but whatever.
Well, I guess everyone has an opinion, however I HAVE ridden in a 97 Cobra (mine) which I owned and modded for several years. The Bullitt ride and handling was far superior to the 96-98 Cobras. As for the paint scheme, even a simple minded person should be able to figure out that if you really want to sell something to the masses, you need to be flexible. Offering the car in several colors did just that. All I can say is; they all sold.....I was at my local Ford dealer yesterday and they had four Lightnings on the lot. All of the Bullitts they has moved within a week of them hitting the lot. A measure of a car's success is in the sales numbers.

Old 09-23-2002 | 01:07 PM
Originally posted by LARM1
As for it being the best handling mustang ever...I think that's a very bold statement. You should take a ride in a 96-98 Cobra.
Are you kidding me? I've ridden in many 96-98 cobras. Have you ridden in one? Those things have about 4" between the top of the tire and fender. They do NOT handle well.

Old 09-23-2002 | 03:53 PM
Hey guys. I own one of the "lame" Bullitts It's not the fastest car on the road, but it's a nice car for the $25,150 I paid out the door for it. I've heard it all from everyone about how heavy it is and about how it's an appearence package more than anything. Well, for the hell of it I weighed it at the track and it weighed in at a scale busting 3340 lbs with a half a tank off gas. MM&FF goofed when the printed the 3900 lb number with the driver, but everyone takes that as the gospel, whether they read it there or just heard it from someone who read it.

As for it being a decorated package and not much else, well thats opinion I guess. I got an intake, Cobra brakes, better seats and better suspension that people are paying a premium for now. Performance wise it's ok I guess. I ran a 13.81 @100.26 last December. After that I added a Timing adjuster and pulleys and went a best of 13.72 and 102.14 mph. I never have got it to hook well and most 60' times run in the 2.10 range. I hope that doesn't come off as bragging, because 13.72 is nothing to brag about. As far as I'm concerned, my driving skill on marginal track conditions have kept the car out of the 13.40's or .50's :o

But to wrap it up, I hated the fact that people busted on the car when I first got it. I've grown into it though, I like being the underdog

Last edited by 87horsepower; 09-23-2002 at 04:14 PM.
Old 09-25-2002 | 03:12 AM
well said

I agree, even though Bullitts can ran AS LOW AS 13.3-4X's on DR's....ya, they are not the fastest cars on the road, they're certainly no slouch either. What you got for that 25K was the best looking mustang since the 93 cobra, a great stopping/handling car, and more power than a GT. Sounds like a good deal to me. BTW, stock vs. stock 1/8 mile (or stoplight to stoplight distance) a bullitt will run right with the '01 cobra or beat it. Just because a 4600lbs. truck with an auto can be driven well by a monkey, does not make it faster (stock) than a bullitt. my .02

Old 09-25-2002 | 03:17 AM
Hey whatever floats your boat. I'm glad you're happy with your car...I'm just not a fan. Then again opinions are like *******s.

Old 09-25-2002 | 11:30 AM
|
There is no way anyone can convince me that a stock bullitt will run with a stock 01 cobra.. No way!! 01 Cobras are stout cars (13.5s) .. You'd have to show me that one...

Old 10-02-2002 | 08:03 AM
I just finished this nitroused bullitt upgrade, bolt on for a customer last week a sleeper bullitt.

Old 10-02-2002 | 08:05 AM
and here is My GT , just a plain old 2002 GT

Old 10-02-2002 | 09:46 AM
Banned
Don, i have a love/hate relationship with the 4.6

Old 10-02-2002 | 04:28 PM
Re: well said

Originally posted by satx
Just because a 4600lbs. truck with an auto can be driven well by a monkey, does not make it faster (stock) than a bullitt. my .02
Anybody spare a monkey to drive mine?

Old 10-03-2002 | 02:02 AM
Originally posted by Flying ****
Don, i have a love/hate relationship with the 4.6
I know I hate to hear that , man I wish I could help ya. but I do know when the chickenfoot is put on something it gets really nasty. But you know you are doing fine now, I have that same feeling toward the 5.4 it just didn't give me what I expected.

Quick Reply: Has anyone ever raced a Bullitt mustang?