Lightning

Has anyone ever raced a Bullitt mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2002 | 09:34 PM
|
Has anyone ever raced a Bullitt mustang?

Raced a bullitt mustang tonight..Wasn't too impressed..What is the Horsepower rating on these cars? It looked pretty good..Was lowered and had a nice sounding exhaust

Old 09-21-2002 | 09:37 PM
Rated at 265 crank hp. Only 5 more than a normal GT, but the torque and power curves on a dyno show a better power band. Seen them running mid-high 13s at the track (with good driver and minor bolt-ons, 14+ with tire smoking rookies)

So I hope you handed him his spoiler-free ****, as stock to stock an L will beat them.

Old 09-21-2002 | 09:49 PM
awww yes, the good old bullets, gt mustangs with a good old cobra manifold and lots of cosmetic goodies. I've got a friend with one, he put a K&n intake and a flowmaster exhaust. Looks good, sounds good, but isn't really that fast. He can't even beat a wrx with it, even though the wrx had a chip and exahust, the race wasn't even close. He's not a bad driver but lets face it, its still a gt with some minor bolt on's. He runs low 14's and high 5's 0-60 on a good day. once again, sounds good, looks good, but its still just a gt mustang

By the by, where are you from, maybe you raced him....

Old 09-21-2002 | 11:15 PM
The Bullitt intake is not a Cobra intake, It has it's own.
A $25,000 dollar mustang won't keep up with a L, the numbers are a bit to far off.
As far as a WRX, your buddy sucks at driving stick. I have a stock 02 GT w/a X-pipe and thats it.
I haven't even broke a sweat trying to beat one. A WRX can stay w/ me untill about 25mph, after that I pull away slowly.

I couldn't let you down talk us Stang lovers.

Old 09-22-2002 | 12:26 AM
actually my friend is a pretty good driver, and so was the other driver, a wrx will beat a bullet stock against stock, with a chip and intake against his flowmaster mufflers and intake, he got smoked. I will never put down mustangs being as I owned a 99 gt so don't get me wrong there. And if you compare the 2002 cobra intake manifold with the bullet intake manifold side by side as I have at a show with him, it will look exactly the same. It sure made my gt manifold look like *****

Old 09-22-2002 | 12:45 AM
Dude, a Bullett intake is not even closely related to a Cobra intake. About the only thing they have in common is where they locate the throttle body. They aren't even the same motor. If anything, a Bullett intake looks like a reverse Lightning intake.

As for a stock WRX smoking a stock Bullett, I highly doubt that one. Stock Bulletts turn 13.90s out here and stock WRXs turn 14.90s, on the same track.

Old 09-22-2002 | 12:53 AM
Interesting....then I wonder why my friend (who actually is a good driver, not a bad one) lost to the wrx.....and why the cobra he was parked next to had the exact same intake manifold....explanations?

Old 09-22-2002 | 02:50 PM
|
I'm from Atlanta...We were coming from the NOPI car show at Atlanta motor speedway and we both got of the hwy together and He took off on me..He let me catch up to stage up....He punched his, I punched mines....BYE BYE BULLITT!! My win his loss... It wasn't a challege at all..

Last edited by Rayden's cloud; 09-22-2002 at 02:55 PM.
Old 09-22-2002 | 03:22 PM
Having owned a Bullitt, I can say for certain that Sal is correct, there is no comparison between the Bullitt intake and the Cobra intake. The horsepower ratings on the GT and Bullitt may be close, but the power band is way different. The Bullitt will pull hard from a decent launch all the way through third gear, corners and handles high speeds like a dream, and has no problem running to 140. It looks good, sounds good and will generally surprise most people. It's one weakness is the traction control. If the driver forgets to turn it off before launching, he/she's in trouble before they start. Stock trim to stock trim, there should be no reason for a decently piloted Bullitt to lose to a WRX. Overall, the car was a good representation of what Ford designers wanted, a modern version of a classic car. On the plus side, I sold my Bullitt (which I bought on "A" plan) for $1,100 more than I paid for it, due to it's low production numbers and the customer base exceeding supply here locally. Try that with a WRX. Believe me, all things considered, I'd rather be seen driving a Black Bullitt................

Old 09-22-2002 | 08:42 PM
Bullitts only make 5 more hp than a regular GT, but they weigh considerabely more, so in actuality, they are slower.

However, the Bullitt is the best handling Mustang made. They come with different springs/shocks and have Cobra brakes. Pretty cool/unique cars in my opinion.

Old 09-22-2002 | 08:59 PM
|
MY BUDDY MENTIONED THAT THE INTAKE IS FROM AN SVO AND JACK ROUSH USED IT IN ONE OF HIS CARS..THOSE ARE SOME VERY NICE LOOKING CARS..THEY COME STOCK WITH TOKICO SHOCKS, PULLEYS AND AN AFTERMARKET EXHAUST FROM WHAT I'VE BEEN TOLD

Old 09-22-2002 | 09:32 PM
This one time.....at Band Camp......

Old 09-23-2002 | 03:01 AM
Banned
The secret about the Bullit intake gets unlocked the second you slap a supercharger on it. It flows like a monster when forced inducted.

As far as the WRX''s. Stock they are slugs. They are lucky to rip a 14.7.. I doubt the WRX your buddy raced was stock. Probably had the down pipe, wastegate acuator mod and an intercooler mod. Slap on the dial a boost and they can do mid 13's. Not to mention they are the ugliest things next to a Kia.

Old 09-23-2002 | 03:39 AM
I think the Bullitt was pretty lame. It didn't resemble the car from the Steve McQueen movie whatsoever. And it was basically nothing but cosmetic additions and the limited edition factor to owning one. Even more ridiculous was that they decided to make them in dark blue and black. The Bullitt was highland green, and should only be highland green. As for it being the best handling mustang ever...I think that's a very bold statement. You should take a ride in a 96-98 Cobra. I won't mention the Cobra R, because it really isn't production car, but we all know how well that thing handles.

I'm glad Ford is finally stepping to the plate with the 2003 Cobra, and the new Mach 1, because the Bullitt was, in my opinion, a waste of time. Sort of like the late 70's, early 80's Cobras and Cobra II's. There's also been mention of a new Boss being added to the lineup. The death of the F-body sure has brought Ford's pony department out of the woodwork.

As for the WRX's...they're fairly slow. I raced one twice in a bone stock 99 GT Convertible with an AOD tranny and beat it fairly easily. Pulled about 6-8 cars on the other guy by about 100mph. The 99 GT had 32k miles on it, and not one mod, on kicked tires nonetheless. I don't know how it would have went if I just punched it in drive...may have only had 3 or so cars on it, but when I raced that car I'd usually put it down in low 1 and launch around 1500 R's and shift around 6k (I love leased cars ). But the moral is...they're not too fast, even when driven right. I guess you could always use the ricer argument and tell me it gets better gas mileage and makes more ponies per liter...but whatever.

Last edited by LARM1; 09-23-2002 at 03:49 AM.
Old 09-23-2002 | 06:54 AM
Thumbs up

I don't have the timeslip posted anymore, but on a very hot/humid day at Milan this last july I ran one side by side.

I ran a 14.1 @ 99.xx to his 14.5 @ 97.xx Once we were at the 60 ft mark I started pulling him. And by the finish line I was about 5-6 car lengths ahead.

BTW: He launched very good and barked em on the 1-2 shift as well as the 2-3 shift. I'm not sure if he had the sway bar removed? Because the front end was coming up a decent amount.

WOT

Quick Reply: Has anyone ever raced a Bullitt mustang?