Lightning

voiding the warranty

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2002 | 05:48 PM
|
voiding the warranty

With all the people here with chips and what have you, it seems that a lot of you void your warranty. Do you all work on your own trucks when there is a problem, or go to your local jiffy lube? What about your regular tune ups and what have you? All these problems must add up to some major $$$ in the end....is it worth voiding the warranty?

Old 09-26-2002 | 05:50 PM
Warranty or not I do my own. Too many bad experiences with dealers.

Old 09-26-2002 | 05:57 PM
Cool

I learned early,,if you have a performance vehicle,,be prepared to do your own work,,unless you have a lot of money, and have people you can trust to work on your ride..I had Ford replace my IC but thats it,,because it was free...

Old 09-26-2002 | 07:28 PM
A Lightning is clearly ""NOT"" a trouble free Vehicle, be prepaired to work on it yourself. I've also found that most Dealers suck, and will screw you at any oppurtunity. There are plenty of post right here on this forum where a Ford mechanic will outright tell you they have no choice but to rush when working on a wrrnty vehicle because Ford pays a differant scale and has limits on the time aloud to find AND FIX the problem. Ya it sucks voiding the wrrnty week one (like I did) but if the worse happens, you always have fire AND THEIFT

Old 09-26-2002 | 07:30 PM
Is ""SOMEONE"" Using my name again to post stuff ???
This is getting weird, I'm deleting it AGAIN.

Last edited by Rob_02Lightning; 09-27-2002 at 07:21 PM.
Old 09-26-2002 | 07:42 PM
Dealer wanted $200 for a plug change...........

Guess who ended up doing them. (btw its really not that hard)

As far as oil changes............I think any performance vehicle owner should know how to do that. Besides the dealer would probably void the warranty if I had them put in Mobil1

Old 09-26-2002 | 07:53 PM
|
does anyone here actually own the extended warranty plan, or the bumper to bumper one that ford offers that replaces almost anything imaginable (except damn mirrors...)

Old 09-26-2002 | 08:01 PM
Warranty claims are handled on a case by case basis. If someone has a ton of mods then has a powertrain problem then the repair will probably not be covered. Same would go with lowering. I would guess that most people that much into modding are well aware of the risks and are prepaired to pay up if necessary.

If you have a ton of mods and a window motor, or door latch, or heating fan, or seat track, breaks and the dealer won't cover the repair then your being screwed. There is a lot of truck that is still covered by the warranty even if there is a ton of mods.

I feel fortunate to have a dealer service dept. that is fair. I only wish they were an SVT dealer!

Old 09-26-2002 | 08:31 PM
I have 75k/5year still

Old 09-26-2002 | 09:03 PM
Originally posted by Rob_02Lightning
A Lightning is clearly ""NOT"" a trouble free Vehicle, be prepaired to work on it yourself. I've also found that most Dealers suck, and will screw you at any opportunity. There are plenty of post right here on this forum where a Ford mechanic will outright tell you they have no choice but to rush when working on a wrrnty vehicle because Ford pays a differant scale and has limits on the time aloud to find AND FIX the problem. Ya it sucks voiding the wrrnty week one (like I did) but if the worse happens, you always have fire AND THEIFT
Just what I needed to hear. Brand new L, and not a bit o sense when it comes to vehicle maintenance. Oh, and I'm going to be stationed overseas next year. Better bone up

Old 09-26-2002 | 10:01 PM
Very good friend of mien is a ford tech and he owns a lightning so i am very lucky. He did my plugs and shackels for a case of beer, and i drank half of it

Old 09-26-2002 | 10:26 PM
Voiding your warranty is like that first joint...a little scary at first but pretty fun once you get started

Old 09-27-2002 | 05:45 PM
|
ttt

Old 09-27-2002 | 07:25 PM
Banned
Warranty to me = Buy One, Get One Free...

Basically, because of the problems i had with my 98 Cobra, i got a free 75K/5Yr warranty.

Old 09-27-2002 | 07:33 PM
Originally posted by rscoleman
Voiding your warranty is like that first joint...a little scary at first but pretty fun once you get started
LMFAO @ rscoleman

Baddgene,
Keep it stock for that year and you'll be fine. You have a SVT Wrrnty on everything for 3 years. It's people like us who push the limits and add mods on top of mods that have to worry about footing the bill when it breaks. Schitt I wont pay it off for 6 years and I'm already worried about WHEN THAT HAPPENS.

it was one night when I got into it with someone on this issue that a Ford Mechanic posted "all the facts" about the way it works for the Wrrnty work over at Ford. And how they look for a reason to void the wrrnty so it's not their problem to fix it for free.
Something about 15 minute billing periods aloud to find the problem. And IN HIS WORDS, how they rather be working on a paying customers car. Nice to know how Ford screws us for having a bumper to bumber wrrnty isn't it. LEAVE IT STOCK AND YOUR FINE.

Too late for most of us though.

Quick Reply: voiding the warranty