Lightning

NMRA Finals Pic's

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2002, 10:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally posted by easterisland
I'm not the only one who questions how Sal ran a 10.78 and never has even came close to that time again. JL has been running low 11's all year and broke into the 10's in the summer heat.

Alright, I usually stay out this kinda crap here..I get into it enough on the mustang boards as it is!!! LOL... Any way, to address a few of your comments....

First off, I don't plan on going crazy with my lightning like the guys here...I have my mustangs to do that, just toy around with the truck and tow the cars to the races...With that said, my truck was all stock at BG....It was hot as hell and only running 14.3 and 14.2's....I went over to sal's booth, picked up a chip and a filter kit and with the great help of Brandon (Crazyone) I was up and running in no time....On my next qualifying pass, I picked up .4 and 3mph in the HEAT there....Sal's parts helped me also go to the 3rd Round of Mod Motor with my TRUCK, in a field of 53 sharks!!! lol...My point is, Sal was busy all weekend at BG with helping out customers and making sure everyone else was running fast...He honestly didn't spend any time fooling with his truck, since he just got it all back together and any time you run a RACE truck with RACE parts, you are gonna have problems...Lisa and Sal have been nothing but helpful and friendly and I wish more of his Customers were out racing their trucks like Beef does...Sal's stuff works awesome and his customer support is bar none...

As far as JL goes, I like Johnny, and I don't like the "tuner" war threads that consistently go on here...I will mention though, which doesn't come out here on this board, is why don't we ask what JL's motor looked like after some of those 11.02 passes??? This isn't a knock against JL, but coming from SEEING his motors and doing the rebuilds, I wouldn't say he runs 11's on the same motor over and over...Just a little FYI for those out there....

LIke I said, I like Johnny, I like Sal, have never met Jim, so these are just some points that I think get lost in the "bickering" here...

I had a great time at BG, lots of friends where there, had fun racing and hanging out and hope to see everyone next season in NMRA, as I try to be successful in running a Mod Motor in the Renegade class...

Jeff

Old 10-04-2002, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by Crazyone
Umm redlights my friend, redlights. Happens to all of us. Now look at the final standings and make that comment.

1 Peter Rogowski 1050
2 Terry Reeves 850
3 Larry Gilstrap 650
4 Aaron Kincaid 600
5 Mark Morales 550
6 Randy Morrison 550
7 Sal Mennella 450
8 Johnny Lightning 450

Now see here, both sal and johnny were tied going into NMRA finals, and johnny had attended one more event than sal. Soo mr why is JL the only tuner in the finals. Ya gotta look at the big picture, not just one race. Notice, terry(beefcake) at # 2 there...soo feel free to ask him why/how he was beating johnny lightning going into NMRA... What i am saying is look at the SEASON not one race...

Brandon (ps this is on topic and about NMRA Finals)

Brandon
You took my comment out of context. I was replying to SVT on a post about the NMRA finals and how the participants fared in this particular race.
I also don't care who wins points. I go to an event to see who is the quickest Gen II Lightning. When I go to the track I want to see how quick my truck is. When I street race I can't lose to someone and say, "I have beaten more on the street than you so I'm better." The fastest truck is what me and most others look at. Not the points. Someone should do a poll and find out.

Old 10-04-2002, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by superfords
P.S. I think easterisland is just mad because he drives a lightning with a CAMPER SHELL

My truck with a camper is still quicker than Sals truck at the NMRA finals event!

Old 10-04-2002, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by BlackCobra99Va
With that said, my truck was all stock at BG....It was hot as hell and only running 14.3 and 14.2's....I went over to sal's booth, picked up a chip and a filter kit and with the great help of Brandon (Crazyone) I was up and running in no time....On my next qualifying pass, I picked up .4 and 3mph in the HEAT there....Sal's parts helped me also go to the 3rd Round of Mod Motor with my TRUCK, in a field of 53 sharks!!!

You could have used anyones chip and picked up approximately the same amount. The HEAT isn't really heat it is normal temps around here and the humidity sure didn't feel as high as it is normally. hint-you would have ran quicker with the stock air box.

As far as JL goes, I like Johnny, and I don't like the "tuner" war threads that consistently go on here...I will mention though, which doesn't come out here on this board, is why don't we ask what JL's motor looked like after some of those 11.02 passes??? This isn't a knock against JL, but coming from SEEING his motors and doing the rebuilds, I wouldn't say he runs 11's on the same motor over and over...Just a little FYI for those out there....

This isn't a tuner war. I would love for all the tuners to show pics of their engines and list each problem they have had. That probably won't ever happen. I don't even have any JL parts on my truck at the current time unless you count the mod max valves! I do have some PSP parts! I may add that the delivery of the PSP parts was excellent and I have never had to wait more than a week for the parts I ordered from Sal even when Spiro was taking orders.

LIke I said, I like Johnny, I like Sal, have never met Jim, so these are just some points that I think get lost in the "bickering" here...

I like them all.

Old 10-04-2002, 11:19 AM
Easter,
I don't get you. There are guys on the board that I have met that I DON'T like that I haven't given a hard time to like you are doing with Sal. Honestly, I think you are out of line. Sal is my friend but whether it was Sal or any of the other tuners there is no reason to take digs like you have been doing. It makes somebody look bad but it isn't Sal. If you are implying that the average run for Sals truck is 13.XX and the 10.XX was a fluke you are way off the mark. He may not run a 10.XX EVERY run but he sure as hell doesn't run a 13.xx every run either. He puts his truck through a lot and you have to give credit where credit is due.

CA

Old 10-04-2002, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by WhiteLightninSVTGirl
Easter,
I don't get you. There are guys on the board that I have met that I DON'T like that I haven't given a hard time to like you are doing with Sal. Honestly, I think you are out of line. Sal is my friend but whether it was Sal or any of the other tuners there is no reason to take digs like you have been doing. It makes somebody look bad but it isn't Sal. If you are implying that the average run for Sals truck is 13.XX and the 10.XX was a fluke you are way off the mark. He may not run a 10.XX EVERY run but he sure as hell doesn't run a 13.xx every run either. He puts his truck through a lot and you have to give credit where credit is due.

CA
This thread isn't about me or you or Sal. It is about NMRA finals pics which has got sidetracked to the times and why PSP trucks were running lke crap and JL was running 11's.
I'm saying that the 10.xx run was a fluke. He hasn't ran anywhere close to a 10.xx. Look at his times. It is kinda like the Spiro 11.4. Where did that come from?
I think I've been pretty clear how I feel about Sal. I don't dislike him. I've bought parts from him. Is it my job to worship him and say only good things about him or keep his times secret? NO!
If you would like to email me(several people have) feel free.
I know Doug has been patient with this so sorry Doug. I won't post anymore on this thread.

Old 10-04-2002, 11:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not quite sure what your problem is Leonard, but obviously you have one. You've made all these not-so-nice remarks about me and my truck knowing I wasn't even here to defend them. You don't have any information on what took place at the event, yet you feel qualifed enough to rip on me and my customers. I thought you were a better person than that, but obviously you have become just another bitter pot stirrer.

As for what happened at the event, here's the scoop...

I haven't even driven the truck since May. I have been having fitment issues with the aftermarket head gaskets I was going to try, but could never get them to hold coolant. I closed up two days early before NMRA to tear the heads off and replace the head gaskets with stock Ford ones. The truck was finished an hour before we left for NMRA. There was no time for tuning, it was just loaded on the trailer and we went on our way.

I knew we were taking place in the MM&FF Lightning shootout two days after we would return from NMRA, so I did not plan to spray the truck at NMRA. If it was going to break, I'd rather at least lay a number down at the shootout doing it. We were also running the stock blower since I hadn't gotten my rear inlet back from Works yet for the 140 sitting here waiting to go on.

Sure the truck was slow, and several reasons attributed to that. No spray, stock blower, 3.30 rear ratio, heavy weight, and there was something electrical wrong with the truck, that was limiting timing to only 7 degrees.

As for why even show up, well that's a pretty stupid comment, but then again your posts are not really about legit questions, they are just cheap shots at PSP for whatever reason. I am an NMRA sponsor, so it would be stupid business wise to not come. I'm also in the top 10 points race for the class, so it would be stupid to not race either. Since it's brackets, it doesn't matter how fast you go.

Concerning my ETs, there will always be people like yourself that will try to discredit or disprove people like me. You can cry all you want, it doesn't matter to me any. I ran that 10.78@127 early in the summer, before ANYONE even came close to it all year. Why haven't I backed it up? Two reasons. One is that I have not been able to obtain the same 60ft at these NMRA tracks, even though I HAD run several 127 mph trap speeds after that pass. The second reason is that I've been so busy with customer orders and trucks that I simply have not had any time to work on or run the truck. We are not allowed to disclose times from yesterdays MM&FF shootout, but I'll just say that I bettered my previous time and shattered that MPH, several times.

You might want want get your facts straight before you make posts like this, that escalade into multiple page threads because you just feel like being an a$$.

Old 10-04-2002, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by LightningTuner
I'm not quite sure what your problem is Leonard, but obviously you have one. You've made all these not-so-nice remarks about me and my truck knowing I wasn't even here to defend them. You don't have any information on what took place at the event, yet you feel qualifed enough to rip on me and my customers. I thought you were a better person than that, but obviously you have become just another bitter pot stirrer.

I don't have a problem with you. How many times do I have to say that? Your truck was slow. I stated fact.

As for what happened at the event, here's the scoop...

I haven't even driven the truck since May. I have been having fitment issues with the aftermarket head gaskets I was going to try, but could never get them to hold coolant. I closed up two days early before NMRA to tear the heads off and replace the head gaskets with stock Ford ones. The truck was finished an hour before we left for NMRA. There was no time for tuning, it was just loaded on the trailer and we went on our way.

I have a built engine with stock head gaskets over size valves and ported heads. I put nearly 5K hard miles on it and I blew a head gasket last month. I'm trying to get it back together. You should be in the 12's and probably 11's. There are plenty of Lightnings with stock blocks that are a full second quicker than what you ran.

I knew we were taking place in the MM&FF Lightning shootout two days after we would return from NMRA, so I did not plan to spray the truck at NMRA. If it was going to break, I'd rather at least lay a number down at the shootout doing it.

Spray something to get it into the low 12's! That is my complaint.

We were also running the stock blower since I hadn't gotten my rear inlet back from Works yet for the 140 sitting here waiting to go on.

Many have run 11's with the stock blower.

Sure the truck was slow, and several reasons attributed to that. No spray, stock blower, 3.30 rear ratio, heavy weight, and there was something electrical wrong with the truck, that was limiting timing to only 7 degrees.

I can understand the electrical problem, but why did you take the truck there with such a big problem? My truck weighs 5400lbs with me in it.

As for why even show up, well that's a pretty stupid comment, but then again your posts are not really about legit questions, they are just cheap shots at PSP for whatever reason. I am an NMRA sponsor, so it would be stupid business wise to not come. I'm also in the top 10 points race for the class, so it would be stupid to not race either. Since it's brackets, it doesn't matter how fast you go.

Customers care about how fast you go. I'm not taking cheap shots. I just am clearing the air.

Concerning my ETs, there will always be people like yourself that will try to discredit or disprove people like me. You can cry all you want, it doesn't matter to me any. I ran that 10.78@127 early in the summer, before ANYONE even came close to it all year. Why haven't I backed it up? Two reasons. One is that I have not been able to obtain the same 60ft at these NMRA tracks, even though I HAD run several 127 mph trap speeds after that pass. The second reason is that I've been so busy with customer orders and trucks that I simply have not had any time to work on or run the truck. We are not allowed to disclose times from yesterdays MM&FF shootout, but I'll just say that I bettered my previous time and shattered that MPH, several times.

That is nice. This time you have some proof. Like I said I'm not against you.

Sorry.I said I wouldn't post, but I had to.
[/B]

Old 10-04-2002, 12:38 PM
I'm sorry easter, but I've had to change my mind about you and your posts. I did a search and reread some of your earlier posts and there was no sign of bitterness. I have only gotten upset with one guy(Bulldog on NLOC--he lied and stole $42 from me) on these boards but as I read thru this thread, it seems to me that you are terribleby pissed-off at Sal and yet you keep denying that???

When Sal ran his 10 second run, no one started raggin' on JL or Jim about why they were still so much slower than Sal. We congratulated Sal and had a good time knowing one of our Ls had broken a huge barrier. We also expected JL and Jim to catch up, maybe even beat Sal's et.

I was not at BG but I spent some time with Sal and Lisa when they where in my state at an earlier NMRA event. Bad things happen to machines when they are upgraded waaay beyond there original factory intent. We all know this and we feel for anybody that has bad luck at a competative event. We should want to see all our tuners do well and understand when something breaks(valve spring ) or when parts aren't received in time.

I hope you can get over what ever is eating at you................... Btw, I use everybody's parts.

Dan

Old 10-04-2002, 12:51 PM
Well I for one can't wait to see the results of the shootout!

Old 10-04-2002, 12:58 PM
Have we cleared the air here ?

Can I close this one now ?

Doug

Old 10-04-2002, 01:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Silver_2000_!
Have we cleared the air here ?

Can I close this one now ?

Doug
Please.